The Mojave Express 1,105 members · 85 stories
Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19

Remember the Island of Doctor Moreau, written by H.G. Wells? A story about a shipwrecked man stranded on a island inhabited by a mad scientist and his creation of human-animal hybrids, which the story deals with a number of philosophical themes, including pain and cruelty, moral responsibility, human identity, and human interference with nature.

We've already seen gene-splicing (Mainly animals and the abominations in Mothership Zeta) in Fallout and its results, you can thank Dr. Bourous for the cazadors and the nightstalkers. But what about humans? (Yes I know in Big Mountain that they try to combine a dog with a lobotomite, and it didn't work)

Kinda like this.

The FEV Mutant mercenary from the New California mod.

For starters what will be the purpose of gene-splicing humans?
Obvious reasons, an individual pursuing the perfection humanity in their twisted image, a technologically advanced organization creating bio-weapons similar to the origins of the deathclaws, or some other reasons.

But what about the organizations who will likely pursue this (That are not aliens)? Likely candidates,
Enclave: Specifically, an Enclave cell who likely use them for weapons and walking test tubes to create the perfect human without turning humans into mutants. Edit: Not the Enclave as a whole, but a small group.

Pre-war scientists: Considering with the new plague and other chemical weapons, a group of scientists believes that experimenting on animals and implementing their findings in the human DNA might increase the immune system against any pathogens. Unfortunately the results ended horribly wrong, thus the project was shut down. But after the Great War happened, some of the leftover subjects escaped into wasteland either forming isolated communities or hunted down by wastelanders.

How would they be treated by the various communities and factions in the wasteland?
Pretty much the same as ghouls.

What are your thoughts?

The enclave would not have the tech to create stable gene spliced humans, not to mention how it would go against literally all of what they stand for ideologicaly.

The only canon faction with the tech and the desire to create human splices would be Big MT.

What about the institute? They did a lot of questionable experiments.

Well I did say an Enclave cell. But yes I agree, the entirety of the Enclave would never do this. All I'm saying that a small group that carries a radical version of "The end justify the means" mentality left the main group in the hopes of getting back at the NCR and the Brotherhood. However that would mean the Enclave will hunt them down for being traitors against their faction and their beliefs.

The Institute would be willing to try this, but they would be too busy being incompetent dick-waffles to actually pull it off.

I suppose that's not unreasonable, but they would have very few resources as a result. Maybe, now that I think about it, the NCR could use research left over from the Master and Enclave to splice humans with other animals in the hopes of creating a super soldier. I think Death's Last Whisper is based along those lines, but that can hardly be taken as canon.

As of 2287, Borous is the only canon scientist with the resources, knowledge and experience to create stable, functioning gene-spliced life. If he can make cazadores and nightstalkers, he can make something effective with human DNA

You can tell any story you want with gene-splicing in Fallout, and any character that's canon, or someone you imagined already, but what I feel you'really trying to ask is,

'What is the right way to go about writing this story?'

I see you're trying to fit the Fallout narative, a few people mentioned Borous, but, as a storyteller, you can always go deeper. One note I haven't seen made about the gene-splicing in Fallout is the Safari Adventure park in Nuka-World.

I could be making up the details as I go along, or have extremely in depth knowledge of the game and all its lore, but as an author, so long as I'm presenting the Fallout, the MLP, and the story we want to tell in a logical sense, the reader will follow along.

But, as a reader, we can make a small leaps in logic that the government knows about Gene-Splicing from both Big Mt. (A government sector), as well as Nuka-world (A private sector within a company that operates publicly).

Also imagine the setting, which part of the world are your characters in? Which world are you on? Which universe is this?

A private company stumbles into this type of technology? Blueprints are be stolen pre-war time?the government be using it for cloning a cheap source of meat? Commies want to create super soldiers? Creating supersized vegetables? In twenty words, think about how ever the gene-splicing program went from pre-war setting, to post-war FEV Mutant soldiers.

The fact of the matter is, it's your story.

Set in a Science fiction / Fantasy universe.
Anything can happen.

I am curious though, do people in this story want to be FEV Mutant soldiers, are they forced into it? Or was it imperfect at first, then perfected later on?

Anyone can be the mastermind, anyone can be the genius, or the hero, or the villian. But, as a suggestion, if you're going to write an evil villian, make them the baddest evil villian. If you're going to write about a hero, everyone wants to be a hero, hero's only need to be lucky once, the villain needs to be lucky every single time.

As a suggestion, when you write this story,

Put 'FEV Mutant soldier' at the bottom of the page.

Now, everything you write will be a build-up or exposition, or world-building to the moment FEV Mutant soldiers first appear.

Then, write the next topic you want to include below that, and write to your next goal.
Do that over and over again, until you can't think of anything else to think about, give it a day, go back, edit, then write some more.

Get some feedback, then before you know it, you've got a story.

It is actually. there was a scientist in Fallout 3 named Dr. Lesko who was a part of a side quest named Those! (based on the old school horror movie Them!). He was studying giant ants in an attempt to reduce them down in size, and like an idiot used the FEV on them, which mutated them from giant ants into giant FIRE BREATHING ants that then over run the town above the subway station his lab is set up in, killing everyone except a kid who runs away and meets the Lone wanderer, asking them to kill the ants. after making it through the ant filled metro, you meet Dr. Lesko who offers an alternative. instead of killing the ant queen, he asks you to leave her alive and just kill her guards. if you do, he gives you one of two genetic modifications, Ant Sight which modifies your Perception, and Ant Might which modifies your strength.

Also in Fallout 3, theres a less....scientific genetic modification you can acquire. in a location called Oasis, you meet a talking tree named Harold who was once human but turned into a tree due to exposure from FEV (he's actually a recurring character through fallout 1, 2, and 3). he asks you to kill him by going underground and shooting his heart, while the hippie cult who worships him asks you apply a chemical to his heart that will either increase the growth of nature around him and restore the wasteland faster, or stunt it to keep them hidden depending on which you side with. if you kill Harold, his blood splashes on you and gives you tough, bark like skin upping your resistence

theres also the aliens in mothership zeta which experiment on abducted humans and mutate them into horrific alien/human hybrid abominations

and the FEV can be used to gene-splice a lot of things. on its own, it makes people into super mutants, but The Master also just tossed people into the vats with a bunch of different animals and made Centaurs

as for how they'd be treated....well.....just look at how ghouls and super mutants are treated. some accept them, some tolerate them, most hate them

the enclave did have Frank Horrigan though. theres no way he was pure human

theres Dr. Lesko in Fallout 3 who made ant-based gene mods in a lab he set up in a fucking subway terminal. it doesnt seem too difficult

Frank Horrigan was a derivative of FEV, and that doesn’t produce combinations of creatures. It simply “corrects” whatever it’s exposed to. That’s what caused the survivors of the Black Rain to mutate: FEV strains being released and dispursed into the atmosphere when a missile struck a West-Tek facility.

FEV doesn’t create stable life forms as a result of combining species DNA. The closest thing to stable life are centaurs; the super mutant equivalent of pugs. Actuall, stable DNA splicing cannot be achieved with FEV, there are too many uncontrollable variables.

To clarify: when I say “combinations of creatures” I mean actual, evolutionarily practical species, like Cazadores. Centaurs would go the way of the Wanamingos if they didn’t keep making them.

ok then. what about dr. lesko's gene mods he made from fire ant dna? or do those not count because they use the FEV too?

That’s more of a small tweak, I mean in terms of hybrid species.

Also, Bethesda cared more about giving the player a 1 point star boost than maintaining coherent lore.

The abominations in Mothership zeta are literally human alien hybrids. so the zetans can do it too.

and so what if it's just "oh we wanted to give them a +1 stat increase" it's still cannon. it still exists. just because it's a "slight change" doesnt mean that more drastic things are impossible. and centaurs were so unstable because The Master literally just chucked anything he could get his fleshy tentacles on and waited to see what popped out. i doubt he had a super mutant research division set up studying it and experimenting with what could happen.

Let's not bring Aliens or those retards from the Institute. As it stands, Vault city could clone limbs, but Gene splicing? Maybe Master could do it, but he is dead. Enclave didn't care about it, Frank was an accident.

That leaves only Big Mountain.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19