Humanized Ponies! 3,468 members · 5,597 stories
Comments ( 28 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 28
Torus #1 · Aug 31st, 2019 · · 6 ·

Now, before I get into the meat of this thread, I do not want to see any bad mouthing any religions. If you personally think that’s what the humanized ponies think, then that’s your head cannon.

Now, with that out of the way, let’s begin.

What do you guys think are the humanized main six’s religion’s are?

Are we sticking to real-world religion, or does fictional count?

Uhh... I was going for real world religions, but you could use fictional I guess.

Alright...
I think it depends a bit on how you imagine their backgrounds but from the top of my head:
Pinkie : Amish or the church of latter day saints.
Rainbow Dash: shallow Catholic
Fluttershy: Hindu
Rarity: Catholic with a few hints of Buddhism. (Korean mother, Irish father.)
Twilight: Raised Jewish, atheiest (or secretly agnostic)
Sunset Shimmer (if we go full human): Catholic. I like to think of her with a spanish heritage.
Applejack: Protestant

Sweetie Belle: Same as her sister.
Applebloom: Protestant with a touch of wicca
Scootaloo: Muslim
Spike: Raised Jewish, agnostic.

Shining: You wish.
Cadence: protestant

Moondancer: Atheist. Period.
Lyra: shallow Protestant.
Bonbon: Catholic
Trixie: Muslim

I'm always partial to princess worship, though worshiping Celestia and Luna would make less sense in their world. Maybe they could worship the pony Celestia and Luna? I'd be okay with that.

If we were talking about the Pony Mane 6: Probably the Equestrian religion.

It should be remembered: Religions were usually connected to a nation. The Greeks followed Greek religion, they worshiped Zeus and the other Greek Gods. The Egyptians followed the Egyptian religion, and worshiped the Egyptian Gods. The Israelites/Jews still follow the Israelite religion, and still worship the Israelite God. Each nation had its own religion, and its own set of Gods. Christianity is unusual, for for not being connected to a nation the way most other religions are.

But this question is about the Human Mane 6, not the Ponies. If the Mane 6 are American: They're almost definitely Christian (if they're religious). The overwhelming majority of religious Americans are Christian.

Torus #7 · Aug 31st, 2019 · · 1 ·

I actually kinda agree with this... except I feel like the Apples would be Christians. Though, I’m not familiar with Protestant religion, and I think that would go against wikin study as well for Bloom. Though I one hundred percent agree with Sunset and her background.

I should also note that this does take place in America, but that doesn’t mean they would all necessarily have to be Christian. I’m in America and I have a whole host full of friends with different religions, my best friend is atheist, his father is a humanist, my cousin is a Scientologist, and two of my friends are Muslim. So, yes, religions do depend on where you were raised and family, it’s not so clean cut if they were in America.

Protestants are christians. It broke of from catholic faith in the 16th century, with Martin Luther as the leading figure.

Oh, yeah, that would really clash with bloom’s interest with wika.

I fugured since she hangs with Zecora, she would be atleast a bit influenced by it. And I don't see the problem, you can be born cristian and still dabble some with more nature religions.

Then she would be interested in voodoo, since that’s what ZiZicora’s hut indicates she practices.

Alright, voodoo then.

Wicca is a Western religion. It's not the religion of Zecora's tribe, or of any African culture.

"Voodoo" is a term for the religion of Haiti, and parts of West Africa. My understanding is: The Haitians are nominally Catholic, but basically have their own religion. And it's, more or less, the same religion that their ancestors had back in West Africa.

73.7% of Americans are Christian, 5.4% are of some other religion. 18.2% are of no religion (source).

In other words: Take a group of twenty Americans. One will be religious, but not Christian. Four will not be religious. And the rest will be Christian.

With one in twenty American being of of a non-Christian religion, It's not surprising you'd have one friend like that. But whole host full of friends with different religions, that's unusual!

I can see your point, and yeah, it’s kinda weird for me.

It's definitely unusual, at least, statistically speaking. But no offence, how's it weird for you?

I admit I got a little sloppy with my explanation.
What I meant was that since Applebloom was hanging out with Zecora, she would probably start to dabble some with a more natural religion. And with her western heritage, she would probably start with wicca, since voodoo is a bit to exotic for her. Zecora still.knows herbs and potions so she would still be an influence on her.

Well, I’ve never met my cousin, but I googled him and found out he’s a Scientologist. My friend is on the fence, but says he’s atheist, his dad just hates the rules of Christianity, and my other friends were just raised Muslim, but religion isn’t a very big topic we normally discuss. So we just leave it at the door whenever we visit each other.

Except that one time my atheist friend brought his cultist friend who brought a ouiji board.

That was the stupidest thing we ever did.

OK, that makes more sense. But if Apple Bloom does get into Wicca: I think that'd probably be because Zecora or Applejack pointed her to it. Maybe Zecora noticed AB's interest in her religion, so pointed her to a Western equivalent.

Apple Bloom's just a child: On her own, I doubt she'd know what "Wicca" or "natural religion" means. I'm pretty well-read, and even I don't know what "natural religion" means (no offence)! What does it mean?

Zecora then. AJ would probably call that "heathen mumbo jumbo".

Well...maybe it's a bad translation... Ethnic religion, nature religion, paganism... Something like that.

I'm starting to feel like I'm picking on you, at this point. Though I don't think Wicca is exactly an ethnic religion. It claims decent from European witchcraft traditions. But if Zecora wants to point Apple Bloom to an American ethnic religion: I think she'd be better off pointing her to the (pre-Christian) English religion.

That's the one with Thor, Odin, and all (same as the Vikings). Americans are basically New World Englishmen, so that'd probably be the most authentic ethnic religion for Apple Bloom. But the Celtic or Greco-Roman religions would work too.

Not sure if the worshiping of the old gods were that prominent in people... england was pretty much christened around 500 a.c. the Nordic countries hung on to it longer so perhaps if one where to give them that kind of heritage
I do agree with you that it would be a better choice for Applebloom, but I don't really think it likely for her to know about it.
What kind of religion one consider wicca to be is up for debate I guess, perhaps what I'm after is witchcraft to you. Imho I consider wicca steming from witchcraft being a religion with a base in nature worship, and therefor it would fit Applebloom.

I wouldn't call that a pre-christian english religion, the belief is Asar is a nordic thing more than anything else.

Actuality: The English, Norse/Scandinavians, and Germans, all worshiped the same Gods. That's because they're all part of a cultural group known as the "Germanics". The Germanic nations all had a common origin, they're pretty closely related. They have similar cultures, similar languages, similar legal traditions, and similar religions.

Today, we associate the Germanic religion with the Scandinavians, because they were the last Germanics to convert to Christianity. Maybe you're thinking of the Celtic religion, that was also a big thing in Britain. But that was the religion of the Celts (modern day Scots and Irish), not the English.

I don't really think it likely for her to know about it.

That's easy: Zecora told Apple Bloom. If Zecora's knowledgeable enough to tell Apple Bloom about Wicca, it's easy to imagine that she's knowable enough to tell her about the Germanic Gods.

Plus, the Germanic Gods are pretty known in America. Not as well known at the Greko-Roman Gods, but probably more well known then Wicca.

Imho I consider wicca steming from witchcraft being a religion with a base in nature worship, and therefor it would fit Applebloom.

Nature worship. Well, Apple Bloom is a farmer. It's easy to imagine her praying to a nature/agricultural God, or something.

Damn. I hoped you would have read.my updated comment. Yes, I was wrong and what is nowadays commonly refered to as "nordic" gods does have a base in Germanic beliefs.

Although when it comes to modern knowledge about that, I blame Marvel...

That's easy: Zecora told Apple Bloom.

Not sure I would go that far with zecora, she knows a lot but to have that level of knowledge she would have to have a degree. In that case, I would say a jointventure between her and Granny. Zecora would probably talk about treating the earth well, and Granny would know of old traditions, leaving Bloom to find her way herself.

Nature worship. Well, Apple Bloom is a farmer. It's easy to imagine her praying to a nature/agricultural God, or something.

This is exactly what I mean. I think she would be more one to worship the earth rather than some god. Or indeed, worship the sun. :) Would fit with MLP rather well.

I don't think Zecora needs a degree, I think she just needs a mythology book. Anyway, here's how I picture this happening:

Apple Bloom befriends Zecora. The kid asks Zecora about the rituals she preforms, and the stuff in her house. Zecora ends up teaching Bloom the stories of her tribe, including the stories of their Gods. And this becomes a habit, the kid loves hearing Zecora's stories! But Zecora feels that Apple Bloom should know the stories of her own people.

So Zecora borrows some mythology and history books from the library, and uses them to teach Apple Bloom. The kid learns the stories of both Zecora's people, and her own people. Including the stories of the Gods her ancestors worshiped. This causes Bloom to dabble in both Zecora's religion, and her ancestors' religion.

Actuality, this could work in both regular-old-MLP, and a Humanized version taking place in modern America.

6975421 6975547
Like I said: Only one in twenty Americans are of a non-Christian religion. If the Human Mane Six are American and religious, then statistically speaking, they'll all Christian.

I think Twilight and Rainbow Dash are the most likely to defy statistics, and to be something other then Christian. Twilight seems like an intellectual. And Rainbow Dash seems like one for authenticity, for saying what she means and meaning what she says.

That likely means they won't be Christian, just because their countrymen or their parents are. They'll only call themselves “Christian”, if they actually believe that Christianity is true. If they actually believe that there is no God but the God of Israel, and that Jesus is his latest prophet.

So they're less likely to be Christian, then the rest of the Mane 6. But if they are Christian (or any religion): They're more likely to take it seriously. They won't just go to church on Sunday and call themselves “Christian”, they'll actuality live it!

I'd say they're either atheistic, Catholic, or worshippers of the King in Yellow.

6975556 6975409
You've put some thought into Apple Bloom, with Zecora giving her a touch of Wicca/Voodoo/whatever. I'm interested in your thoughts on the others, and why you picked the religions you did for them.

But Pinkie Pie being Amish is kind of obvious, when you look at her family (her birth family, not the Cakes). And to expand on that:

The Amish have a practice called “Rumspringa”, where a young adult experiences the outside world. Television, electricity, all that stuff Amish have forsaken. Then he decides if he wants to be Amish, or “English” (Amish term for non-Amish Americans). Pinkie Pie is probably either on her Rumspringa, or has decided to be English.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 28