Andrew Joshua Talon Fan Club 101 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15
Andrew Joshua Talon
Group Admin

It is telling of a fan base and even a creator's attitudes towards a character when an episode centered around that character tends to be more notable for the cameo of a fan favorite minor character than the presumed star of the episode.

Applejack is the Big Guy of the Mane 6, in equal running with Rainbow Dash for most competitive and physically capable. She is stubborn, even prideful, with the wisdom of every day living and a forthright honesty that made her worthy to wield that same Element. She has a wonderful family, she is generous and hardworking and kind.

So, why is it she is overshadowed by a gag cameo? Why is she so weak as a character on her own? Why is it that the fandom can often think of nothing better to do with her than stick her with Rainbow Dash?

Well, first off, it is not because she is a boring character. Applejack is not boring. But as a writer myself, to me at first blush it was difficult to write for Applejack. And it took me a while to realize why:

She's uncomplicated. This is not the same thing as saying she is simple nor that she is a shallow character. She is simply uncomplicated.

First, her life goals center around making Apple Acre Farms the best it can possibly be, because that is what she loves to do. That is her special talent. Whereas Rainbow Dash's life goal is to join the Wonderbolts, or Rarity's is to become a world renown fashion designer, Applejack is living her dream and just making it bigger and better. Her other major concerns are her friends and her family, and these are the primary focuses in the episodes centered around her. The other focus is her tomboyishness, but in all honesty this is little different from Rainbow Dash's issues with the subject.

Second, as for character flaws, Applejack has them but they are different from those of the other Mane Six and more difficult to write compellingly. Like Rainbow Dash, her stubbornness is a trait that can go too far. Unlike Rainbow Dash though, Applejack's stubbornness and pride are far more self sacrificing and self destructive (They can be destructive as in the case of "Apple Bucking Season", but retelling the same story over and over again is not an improvement). Whereas Rainbow Dash's pride is often more of a mask to hide deep insecurities, which are easier to write for as weakness is the easiest thing in the world to make compelling. Applejack greets failure with more hard work, even if it isn't the right answer.

Third, Rarity and Twilight's character flaws also tend to reflect their strengths taken to extremes: Their focused, obsessive compulsive natures can lead to cracks in their self control and confidence. In Applejack's case, her flaw of pride and stubbornness can cause problems but are far less dramatic than Twilight and Rarity's from a psychological perspective.

For instance, in the case of "The Last Round-Up" Applejack's desire to not let her town down drives her to do what she always does-Work harder. She isolates herself because she has very deep, strong self control and rationalizes her actions without being dramatic about it. Rarity's melodramatics and Twilight's hysteria are far easier to write in comparison because they offer more immediate possibilities, which makes sense for a cartoon show but is ignoring potential.

Essentially, Applejack is the straight mare through and through and by definition the straight mare needs something to bounce off of. Making her break and lose it is far more difficult to do properly because it feels untrue to her character. And while writing characters differently from their canon appearance is not exactly an unknown thing in fanfiction, good fanfiction either sticks to the canon characterizations to tell stories with those characters, or grows those characters into different directions convincingly.

This, however, does not make Applejack a mere supporting character in her own show. It does not make her a flat character. It simply requires an understanding of her character and a little more thought about how to make her stand out in the story and what you want her to accomplish within it.

298706 She's a main subject in your next chapter, isn't she?:ajbemused:

On the problem of ______________
A new series by Andrew Joshua Talon?

Andrew Joshua Talon
Group Admin

298707 Ironically enough, nope.

298710 Then who? More on the increasingly embarassing love triangle? :rainbowderp:

Andrew Joshua Talon
Group Admin

298712 The triangle will be dealt with.

does that mean that the triangle will be no more?....but i was waiting for cheap awkward shenaningans with that cliche, those are the best.

I agree 100% Applejack is way Mary Sue. Meaning she does everything (likeher job) because she wants to, not because she has to. I find it kind of ridiculous, and poor judgement on the writing staff. I want to like Applejack, but it is so difficult when she is so unrelatable.

Andrew Joshua Talon
Group Admin

298871 At no point did I say she was a Mary Sue. She has flaws, she makes bad judgments based on pride and shame, she suffers consequences of her actions, she does not always save the day, she is-for lack of a better term-human, just a different sort from the others. This is not a Mary Sue and to take my analysis as proof she is demonstrates you need to read it again and utilize that thing between your ears. Here's a hint: It doesn't cool blood.

RandomExpert781
Group Admin

So basically, you're saying Applejack is hard to write about because she's too simple.
Huh. Never seen it in that light before.

Well, I did misinterpret it, I was reading late at night. But I still stand with my point.

Andrew Joshua Talon
Group Admin

299103 Defend it then. How is Applejack a Mary Sue? Forgive my insult, it was late for me too.

Okay, she doesn't seem to get stressed out as much of the others wwith anything she does. Even when she was pressured by everyone in Ponyville to win the competition she went to (forgot what it's called). The entire time she is acting like she can win. So right here the mayor needs money for the town, and this is something might cassify as a job of Applejack, but she is doing it for fun. Her entire job is something she wants to do, which can be a flaw I understand, and it seems like she does that only because of that reason. I am not saying Applejack is like the worst character ever or anything, but she is my least favorite because her antics are way to unrelatable. This is my opinion and I'm not trying to prove you wrong anything, I just wanted to express it.

Andrew Joshua Talon
Group Admin

299184 Granted, but your assertion is changed from "She's a Mary Sue" to "I don't like her because she is unrelatable to me". The first, while possible to be subjective, can be argued based on facts and logic. The second is simply a personal opinion. Distinguish between them.

In addition, no character in fiction is beyond redemption or use in a more fitting or interesting manner. The only limits are your writing ability and your own imagination.

Yes, I suppose I did go to overboard with Mary Sue there. I haven't seen her been done very well in many stories (beating the heat, Fallout: Equestria, and Background Pony come to mind) which is kind of dissapointing and may be where I get most of my opinions of her.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15