Rooster Teeth Bronies 1,242 members · 96 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

Wow. I stopped watching RWBY a while ago, but I still read some fanfics now and then. I guess my choice to stay away was a good one.
Still, this is only one perspective, so I'll go hunt for more before settling on a decision.

To be fair, he said at the time of starting, racism is a complex issue with many many things to consider and no early 20 year old understands it fully, many people just can't see or even know how bad racism is nor do they know the nuances, people are talking about this like it's "Oh I'm to white too get the issue." when it's more a case of being young and not fully getting the issue. (Most people as an example don't know that racism is still very present in law and if they do they don't know how much)

This is him as a writer admitting that they bit off more than they could chew trying to tackle this topic and he's getting shit for it, admiring "Yeah we really didn't know what we were getting into." And saying that they didn't know enough should not be seen as an issue it should be seen for what it is, a person knowing and acknowledging the cause of a mistake/error. Look at it like this, rather than saying we were missing something they gave a logical reason for why they handled it poorly, is it a fully okay reason? No, not really but it's enough to be reasonable and is a legitimate excuse. Is there more to it? For sure but that doesn't mean this wasn't/isn't the main issue.

That's fair. I fully aknowledge that this is an out of context quote, and you can make anything look bad without the context around it.
Still, if it was just the writing staff being young and not understanding the topic fully, biting off more than they can chew, then why mention race in the explaination at all?
Additionally, if you don't understand a topic, then you should either learn more about it (through research) or cut it from the story. I guess this is a hindsight being 20/20 situation. I'm glad he's willing to own up to his mistakes, I just wish he'd maybe chosen his words better.

Well that's the thing, not only do people not fully understand the topic the vast majority don't know how much they are missing. If you don't know you need to do more research than how could you possibly know how little you know? after all, you don't know what you don't know.

Okay, uh, here, say your a young adult who's been a mechanic for a couple years. Work on cars often and have never seen nor heard of formula 1. You have no idea about what is different to the two engines nor do you fully grasp just how different the engines are. This is kinda similar, take me for example, I know for a fact that I barely understand racism but I have no idea the scope that I'm missing and to let that be a hang up on talking about that issue means that it will always be an issue. You can't let what you don't know stop you from telling the story. Is the faunus hate handled poorly? Yeah, in a way. Is it okay for Blake's story? Yeah, it is,

It is hindsight, they know now that they didn't understand the issue but at the time they didn't. You can't know how little you understand until confronted with it and that seems to be exactly what happened.

Again, that seems fair. Thank your for the enlightening discussion

Thank you for considering my points, Most of the time people just ignore what I say and repeat their stance so it's refreshing to have my view actually thought of.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7