Rooster Teeth Bronies 1,242 members · 96 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9
Ruby Rose
Group Admin

On the first of February, an inspiration, husband, brother, son and a legend has passed away.

All I ask is for you to share something you know about Monty, and donate here, but only if you can, for Monty's family in this time of grief.

I guess I will start? This is a pretty rare story, an extremely small part of this fandom knows about it.

On June 22 of 2012, during Monty's birthday, his mother passed away. He was receiving calls a week prior to her death, yet due to his workaholism and RvB rush, he was unable to go. He arrived at her deathbed during his birthday a few hours too late. During the funeral everone was grieving, but he realised something. Only he understood his mother, and so he smiled, because she was also a hard-working person, it was her who kept the family going, and so he smiled during the funeral, because she could finally rest.

Rest in Peace, Monty Oum.
June 22nd 1988 - February 1st 2015

"I believe that the human spirit is indomitable. If you endeavor to achieve, it will happen given enough resolve. It may not be immediate, and often your greater dreams is something you will not achieve within your own lifetime. The effort you put forth to anything transcends yourself, for there is no futility even in death."

I just wanted to share this

I just remember seeing the first few parts of his Dead Fantasy series on the web several years back. It was the most incredible thing to me because I never dreamed that something like that could be fan-made AND done by a single person.

jxj
jxj #4 · Feb 3rd, 2015 · · ·

I was never a huge anime fan, so I'm not able to fully appreciate everything he did. However, it's obvious how much energy and effort he put into RWBY. Monty has such a unique animation style and world building philosophy that I enjoy listening him talk about it, even though I'm not a huge fan of the content itself. hearing him explain how he animates is just fascinating; how he would change the size of body parts or deliberately blur weapons to emphasize the flow of combat for example. The first time I heard of Monty was when he came on the podcast to talk about RWBY. How he created the world map was fascinating to me. he based it on a ketchup stain on a napkin, saying that the world needed some randomness to it. As an engineer, this concept was just foreign to me and I don't think I'll ever completely get it. That really stuck with me, and it was then that I realized just how unique Monty was.
Rest in Peace Monty

He was a unique genius, and the world is a poorer place without him.
He lived his life to the fullest, but I wish he could have done so for longer.

It is always so terribly ironic that we praise people most after their deaths, when they are no longer able to receive or appreciate it.

Goodbye Monty, we will miss you. Thank you for enriching all of our lives.

HMB

I remember seeing Haloid and I was 7 years old. When I saw it I was like "Holy Crap, this is AWESOME!" And loved it. I also saw a bit of his other work, but not completely.

Then I saw that RWBY was announced. "YO! It's the Haloid Guy!" And watched both seasons. Then he was on the podcasts and that one stream where they played fitness games.

Now he's gone like that.

Today's a really bad day for rain...:fluttercry:

If it wasn't for RWBY, and Monty in turn, I wouldn't have met a lot of my friends.

I didn't know about Monty for a long time like a lot of Rooster Teeth fans, but I really admired and respected him for his extreme work ethic, creativity, and animation. He cared alot for his fans, and he was a very funny person. I am very grateful for all the time and effort he put into everything he did.

I don't know where the series he created, RWBY, will go from here. But I dearly hope that the rest of the team will be able to properly bring Monty's vision to life.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9