Pandemonium 19 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15
RainbowDashian
Group Admin

So, this thread is for the story called "Origin of The Changelings" or something like that. As I promised him, ChaosknightRB will be the author. And right now, we need to build this story up from the ground. Because all we know is that the changelings can transform, and, according to my other stories, they have fangs for carnivorism. If they cannot feast on love, they can inject their victims with a fast-acting deadly venom... So, this needs to break 5K words. And it needs to explain how changelings came to be. POST IDEAS! :derpytongue2:

First thing to come to my mind, earth pony got bit by something.... evil, in the everfree forest.

ChaosknightRB
Group Contributor

Oh, I got something alright. hehehe :pinkiecrazy:

Pitch:
It all begins with an earth pony whose ambitions were greater than her abilities. As queen, she had ruled the land of [kingdom name] for years and her time was slowly coming to an end. Afraid to lose her life to the slow decay of time, she needed the form of an immortal. She needed to become an alicorn. How to do this was well beyond her knowledge, and all hope seemed lost. One day a draconequess [not Discord] said he could grant her the ability to become whatever she wanted. Of course she accepted, but the form she now held was a twisted mockery of a true alicorn. Outraged with this new appearance, she threatened to have the draconequess killed if she was not made a form her ponies could love and adore. Poor choice of words on her part. The draconequess changed the rest of her kingdom into creatures much like her. In addition, since the queen was so quick to insult him, he added a curse. Since she wanted to be loved to badly, her kind would have to feed on the love of others as well as become carnivores of the ponies she loved as well. Feeding on love was not a means of surviving, but because of a horrid addiction that would also affect their victims over time.

That queen still rules to this day. Queen Chrysalis.

A Few Points:
The Draconequess: Discord is the only one that we actually know about, but it seems to me that when making a name for a species there would have to be more than one. Otherwise, we'd just call him the Spirit of Chaos and be done with it. I'm also working with the idea that they may be few, but each has a fondness for spreading chaos.

Why an Earth Pony?: A unicorn or pegasus would also be an option I suppose, but the drastic change from earth pony to alicorn just has more effect on the reader in my opinion.

Curse, Addiction to Love: Their ability to feed on love and being carnivorous (as I see it) should be something like a punishment. In the case of love, what's worse than being forced to feed on something that isn't actually required? As for being carnivorous, they were once ponies too. So the fact that they have to eat other ponies could be seriously traumatizing for many. (if not all)

Why not just make them super evil before the change?: I though about this for a bit and decided it gives a more sympathetic feel to the story. The queen may have once regretted the decision, perhaps she still does. The point here is that her desire for immortality got the best of her.

Here's how the Changelings strike me, personally. We've already seen that they're an insectoid race of sorts, that bears a crude resemblance to the equine shape. However, that's where the similarities end. Insect-style wings, compound eyes and a rigid exoskeletal carapace characterize the race.

As an insectoid race, the possibility of carnivorism is discounted completely. Carnivorous insects exhibit large, horizontally-opening mandibles. A species with fangs would likely feed on the same principle as a spider, in that they desiccate their victims. The similarity to arachnids is increased by the apparent ability to produce a thick, immobilizing slime, which can be used to fully encase captured hosts.

However, these evolutionary mechanisms seem almost redundant, as the changelings seem to feed solely on love. This appears to be their primary or preferred means of sustenance, despite the fact that love is a basic hormonal attraction, and would be physically manifested only in the form of pheromones.

Also, the physical form of Queen Chrysalis throws a new perspective on the situation. Her form is far more similar to normal equines, save for a slightly mottled carapace and insect wings. However, she still possesses a form of unicorn magic, which she exhibits a great deal of control over. It would therefore stand to reason that the Changelings are a parasite of sorts. Unfortunately, the mechanisms required to transform an equine into an insectoid form are mind-boggling, to say the least.

Possibly the easiest changeling attribute to explain is the ability to shapeshift, as it were. Since the changelings shown only seemed to shift into equine forms, I have my doubts that it is true shapeshifting.

Let us take a moment to examine the chitinous exoskeleton of a beetle. These insects come in a staggering variety of colour patterns; some even exhibit iridescence, created by a unique crystal structure in their chitinous shell.

The changelings exhibit this trait to the extreme. It is not implausible, especially when the presence of magic is considered, to suggest that the changeling "shapeshifting" is in reality a coordinated refraction of the individual chitin crystals. This would lend the illusion of appearing identical to the original host, although the changeling's actual form would not be changed.

RainbowDashian
Group Admin

295627 Very, very good idea. Me likey. :pinkiecrazy: But, one thing: It cannot be a draconequess. Cannot be. Discord is the first, ever, because the venom of the changeling that bites him malfunctions and changes him into one. Seeing the beginnings of this change, Luna tries to help him. But, not knowing anything about draconequesses, she couldn't. Sorry. Maybe a wendigo?

ChaosknightRB
Group Contributor

295984 I think I could just do with using say...an alicorn sage! The spell to change her isn't what she had hoped for, she insults the sage;

Sage: k, imma a curse you nao
Chrysalis: Don't curse me bro!

And then they were cursed~ :rainbowlaugh:

295891 I like your whole scientific theory on the subject. However we are writing a story for people to read for entertainment, not a scientific journal(as much as I actually do enjoy reading some every now and again). What you say makes for an excellent descriptor on how they use their abilities though and I'll be the first to say there's some damn good thought process put into it. :twilightsmile: But in a world of talking ponies and magic, I think science may have to take a backseat for now...unless we do this steampunk style. Can we do this steampunk style? I am all about that :pinkiecrazy: :rainbowlaugh:

RainbowDashian
Group Admin

295997 No. Not enough steam punk in FiM, so there can't be any a thousand years earlier. Doesn't make any chronological sense.

ChaosknightRB
Group Contributor

295998 I assumed as much, but was worth a shot :rainbowwild:

RainbowDashian
Group Admin

295999 Maybe we should make a fic describing this Alicorn Sage... And I just PM'd the author of "Becoming Whole" (http://www.fimfiction.net/story/23666/Becoming-Whole <- Really good), and if they join, I'd want them to write it. :derpytongue2:

ChaosknightRB
Group Contributor

296000 Sounds like we're gonna need another thread :rainbowlaugh:

RainbowDashian
Group Admin

296002 So... I will. Sometime soon. YOU WON'T! Because I want to. But not now. I lazy. Hehehe.

The First
Group Contributor

Surprised I haven't posted yet in this thread... also the introduction of an alicorn sage results in having to explain why the alicorns died out, due to there only being three in the series.

RainbowDashian
Group Admin

296073 The alicorns are a strange race altogether. They only appear in royalty, and royalty only appears in those endowed with extra magic. And (Just thought of this), this story should take place after the Everfree War story. Because, unless he was the only remaining Everfree king, there wouldn't be a random alicorn going places. He should die in the end of his fic (Which tells readers that Pandemonium isn't actually an Everfree King), but he'll be alive for this. Sound good?

The First
Group Contributor

Ya this would work very well!

RainbowDashian
Group Admin

296086 Have you read "Becoming Whole" (http://www.fimfiction.net/story/23666/Becoming-Whole <- Really good)? I asked the author to come join, they'd probably end up writing the Alicorn Sage one.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15