Pokemon Club 535 members · 190 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

It's called COPPA, and it will impact things in a big way. Video sites like YouTube will be taking hits, that's a given, but sites like this will also be targeted because of poor wording.

Here's a YouTuber I follow that will be explaining it a bit for everyone, he does a lot of Pokemon content

It's mostly just Youtube (So I've been told) as the actual problems are their changing policies as the result of being fined. Granted this could set off a chain reaction and hit other sites. Of course, this brings other issues into play, from my understanding based on the exact letter this would make Achievement Hunter kids content and as anyone who watches them can attest they aren't exactly child-friendly. there are many other examples but that one just popped into mind first. There's a lot of video's on this, Welsknight linked to one from an actual lawyer.

Besides, content creators aren't actually collecting data (Youtube was and they had no say) so it's a little hard to pin anything on them.

I also doubt they could hit Fimfic as fimfic's ads are all google based. Google is collecting the data there unless fimfic has access to my search history but that's a different issue. My ads here are based on my search history at least. They could do something about that but they'd have to go at google. Well unless I've wildly misunderstood something about the ad spaces here.

COPPA is a potential US internet policy, so in a way, it will affect all sites regardless but it isn't wrong that's how your understanding goes. COPPA is designed to mainly target video sites, so any sites or site pages with video that meet certain criteria will be flagged as what the COPPA states.

Yeah fair, I know the fine can't really be applied to people outside the states for the obvious reasons. But also Youtube's in a tough place now, no non-advertiser friendly content but also if it's kids content (RE: All advert friendly content practically) no adverts either... Which also puts advertisers in a tough place cause that's a lot of loss to them as well.

This literally hits all levels of the chain.

What about the creators of the videos? What will happen to them?

They lose ad revenue and other features and face a fine of 45K/video if it's found to be child content and isn't labelled as such, the ad revenue/features are lost if it's declared as well but the fine isn't likely to stick from what I've been told. The fine itself I believe is about collecting data on minors which they can't control but I'm neither a lawyer nor American so don't take my word for anything. This can absolutely destroy channels and could destroy youtube.

This is just a mess and I'm not qualified to really give advice or truly understand the consequences so try looking into it. A ton of people are talking about this online after all. the best I can give is my understanding which could and very well might be wrong and reiterate the points I've heard.

Well someone on YouTube is fighting back against this new rule and is actually meeting with 2 FTC commissioners to tell them about the major problems that this new rule has for creators. Many people have posted their thoughts and concerns on the regulations website about this subject. I think there is a better way to make sure this doesn't happen again is that YouTube should make an Age Gate so that way if kids under ages of 13 aren't exposed to targeted ads based on their scearch history.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7