The OC Fanfiction Library 1,405 members · 1,811 stories
Comments ( 28 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 28

Hello everyone. I'm creating an Ask My OCs blog ... forum ... thing. So what I need is for some questions from all of you. My OCs bios are in my ... bio. ?!? Anyway you can ask my OCs Marksman, Red Bow, Rainstorm, and War Zone questions, as well as some Daleks (for Doctor Who fans). You can ask them any kind of questions and I will have pictures just like on tumbler.

nodamnbrakes
Group Contributor

@Marksman: What is a man and why is it part of your name?

@Red Bow: What's a hot mare like you doing on a site like this?

@Rainstorm: Are you "generic pegasus #12" from the credits of "My Little OC: (Un)originality is Magic"? I'm a huge fan of yours!

@War Zone: I'm assuming your parents were either protesting something or crazy.

Mr Pones
Group Contributor

This thread needs more wads wopped out on the counter.

@Marksman
@Red Bow
@Rainstorm
@War Zone

If any of you are mares, what would I get for lods e mone? Not too much, just lods.

SleeplessScribe
Group Contributor

1775181 No, they don't have meth.

AA-12Ducky
Group Contributor

"My Little OC: (Un)originality is Magic"

You faggot.:raritydespair:
My OCs will make you cry bitch tears! I SWEAR:raritycry:

Toraka
Group Contributor

@all: What makes you different? I'd bet I could go through Ponyville and find at least two ponies very closely, if not exactly, like you.

In other words, who are you, and why should I care?

1775181>>1777368, don't worry. You don't need to be ass holes about it. I'm leaving FIMFiction in a week.

nodamnbrakes
Group Contributor

then why did you make this thread

1778401 so I could try to find a reason to stay on FIMfiction. Or at least something to remind me I'm a Brony.

nodamnbrakes
Group Contributor

And did we not do what you had expected?

Toraka
Group Contributor

1778428 I'm genuinely asking.
Also, you sort of did feed him there.

1778430 not really. I consider it more of criticism giving me even more reason to leave.1778446 1778430 besides, I said I'm leaving in a week.

nodamnbrakes
Group Contributor

If you can't take criticism, then don't write. We're just trying to help you improve your OCs.

Toraka
Group Contributor

1778465 No one's stopping you if you want to stop at the first bump you encounter.
Besides, it's kinda hard without knowing literally anything about your OCs.

1778481 I said there descriptions are in my bio.1778471 ok, maybe criticism is the wrong word. More or less of fence to my own personality because the four OCs I mentioned have at least a little bit of my personality, except Rainstorm.

Toraka
Group Contributor

1778505 Reading things! It's hard :raritydespair:

1778513 understandable. Well, um, I don't have an audio recording, ok.

nodamnbrakes
Group Contributor

k. whatever floats your boat, dude.

Toraka
Group Contributor

Um, well...
No offense, what's happening to you is only natural, but I'd maybe tone down the OCs a little?
You know, don't force human concepts onto them and jam them up with too much importance and content. For instance, for all it's worth, the rainbow factory content could probably be removed entirely without changing a single fucking thing about them.

Let me put it this way, a method that I like to use: In the dry, before the story or anything, use a single occurence to describe why your character is how he is. For my personal favorite OC Midnight, this would probably be her mother's death. If you can't at least somehow derive all your character's traits based on that occurence alone, you're asking your reader to assume too much. Then, as the story (I know they currently aren't in one) progresses, give them more events, the number being based on how important they are, and see how those shape them. These events can be revealed to have occured or just happen in the story itself.

To use the example I once read in a blog post about OCs, imagine a boat driver who's weighed down by having lost his life as he accompanies the Mane 6 as a major side character (I like to call them conversation puppets) throughout the story. Some ways in, at the first real turning point, reveal an event that explains why he dislikes pegasi, as he will then be ready to gain additional depth. Of course, you should have that trait built in subtly before and slightly more clearly after that point, so that the reader can notice it.

If you need entire paragraphs to explain characters' original shapes before there's any material on them, before there's a story to carry their traits and show them changing, they're too deep for their own good. As I said, tone it down to what is clearly necessary. That includes events that happen to him as well. Is it really necessary to give your character an early cutie mark, leaving parents, secret romance with a generic lavender unicorn (totally undisclosed:twilightsmile:), dismotivation to work, somehow still an own house, alicorn hate, and Tourettes?

nodamnbrakes
Group Contributor

i think i love you

Toraka
Group Contributor

1778603 well my OCs bios were quickly typed last year during school, so I had a lot of work to do, I was writing four fan fics at once and I said over the summer I would fix or add to there bios but I never got around to it. But for Marksman, his bitchness is the same reason as when I'm bitchy. Because I feel like it.
1778555 ok now I can understand something now that I thought. My user name is Marksman and my avatar is an OC. It sort of fucks things up a little but that OC is Red Bow. So now I understand why in your first comment you made Marksman a female.

nodamnbrakes
Group Contributor

i'm... sorry?

what?

Toraka
Group Contributor

1787369 More than you can chew. Take the time to think through each of your characters on their own, finding who they are and what drives them using the techniques above. Also, you can imagine them as show characters, perhaps on the scale of a CMC. If they were, how would they be personalised?

1787615 She took out... the adorable trash.

1787615 your first comment 1775181.

nodamnbrakes
Group Contributor

but i didn't assume your oc was female o_O i just asked why you were referencing humans with his name when he's a pony.

1790358 uh, never mind. I have no clue what I'm saying.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 28