Michigan Bronies 75 members · 77 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

whats your history with the city?

4006293 I've frequented the Detroit Institute of Arts (being an artist and all). Another fun stop is King's Books (largest used bookstore in North America), but I've found its gone downhill in the past few years (used to be able to call them up and have them check on a book, now they refuse and you have to drive down there).

For the longest time, my family was the longest run family to help out with the Thanks Giving Day parade there. My father would put beards on the Paul Bunyons, like his father before him, and I'd put make-up on the clowns. But due to a pedophile dressing up as a clown, they stopped putting make-up on the clowns to be able to tell who's who. So I was out of a job, and they stopped calling us up to help altogether so we haven't done it in over a decade...it was really the only family tradition we had and its gone now so I'm a touch bitter about it.

The Detroit Zoo is a nice little place to visit. I'm not happy with how small it is since its so small, but kinda proud of it since it was the first zoo (in America at least) to re-create animal habitats. I try and go at least once every couple of years.

That's about it for me.

I only go into downtown for Red Wings games. I live too far north (U.P.) for it to be practical really.

...and I love having a car from a Detroit company...

Ok, a question do u know any infamous parts of Michigan or detroit?

4030692 , 4030814 Highland park? <Shudder> :twilightoops:

There are many large areas of the city that are just abandoned. Detroit is a supercity with a normal city's populace. There are some areas so devoid of human beings that an entertainment artist wanted to open a zombie themepark where the desolation was at its worst.

I can't offer any personal experience because, like most individuals, I don't go there.

4032470 a lot of movies that are shot in abandoned coties and stuff are actually filmed in LA were entire areas of the cith are just empty, like one of the vacant chinese cities you can see in the news. I actually heard that the new Red Dawn was filmed in detroit and they demolished actual abandoned houses in some scenes.

Also, i avoid it myself, but I will say this, there's a lot of trash everywhere, and since most of it is govt housing the building are made out of cement or brick. Depends on the year.

4032488 I'm familiar with the movies being shot there--the original Robocop was filmed there despite being suppose to be in Detroit.

Most of the original RoboCop was shot in Dallas as it was thought there weren't enough skyscrapers in Detroit for the vision they wanted. The opening credit flyover and the climax at the abandoned factory were both shot in Detroit though. Detroit's been more popular for filming of late because of on again, off again tax credits for filmmakers from the state government.

Most of the original RoboCop was shot in Dallas as it was thought there weren't enough skyscrapers in Detroit for the vision they wanted. The opening credit flyover and the climax at the abandoned factory were both shot in Detroit though. Detroit's been more popular for filming of late because of on again, off again tax credits for filmmakers from the state government.

Sorry, that was suppose to be "wasn't" not "was". :twilightoops: Spell check did me in (it's what I get for typing so fast).

And yes I'm also familiar with the tax credits offered by Detroit for film makers--tried to get a job doing story boards for some film companies more than once.

I've only ever visited the Detroit Auto show and the Detroit Zoo since I've moved here from the east coast

I live in Metro Detroit so I've been there a few times. I do live 30 mins away from it though and no real need to go there but I am going to Youmacon there which is great since I won't need a hotel.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12