The Conversion Bureau 769 members · 387 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2

My friend Julian found and shared with me this article in The Guardian:
LINK

Head:

For centuries western culture has been permeated by the idea that humans are selfish creatures. That cynical image of humanity has been proclaimed in films and novels, history books and scientific research.

tail:

It’s time we told a different kind of story. The real Lord of the Flies is a tale of friendship and loyalty; one that illustrates how much stronger we are if we can lean on each other.

I think this is interesting tale, but unfortunately much bigger groups of humans today still vulnerable to some ..dark magic of our current human condition, so you can't just close your eyes to some negative moments. Like, bullying is still real and ongoing, and war definitely not retired to fiction-only section of libraries ... So flipping this switch not just for few humans for over the year, but for all those humans around us for years and decades is still very much open question ....

That was a best-case scenario in a lot of ways: not only were they relative equals in their society's eyes (with one exception, Stephen - his English name points to European ancestry, and thus privilege), they were already friends, had chosen to go on their misadventure, and there was a relative lack of European influences. Change any of those and they would've all been long dead by the time they were found. Hell, even with that, I'm surprised that they didn't murder each other.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2