The Conversion Bureau 769 members · 387 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

Found this book. Only some chapter abstracts are freely-viewable, and I'm not sure if it will be of any use in everyday practice, but ... here it is. For example this end of paragraph sounds promising, but is there anything really noteworthy or not I don't know

Chapter 10 - The Chemical, Physical, and Genetic Nature of Dominance
Pages 159-176

Chemicals of any sort can alter the way our brains develop into prenatal, postnatal, adolescent, and later periods. Understanding that our personalities are determined early in life should give us a heads-up about how we should consume food and other chemicals and how we should act toward young people so that they may end up reasonably stable citizens. In short, it will determine how they function in a modern society, under the influence of stress and environmental threats.

Ah, you can use Sci-hub + doi (document identifier) for getting chapters.

Bonus: Neural mechanisms of social dominance

Neural substrates of social dominance

(2015)

In the last decade, researchers in the field of neuroscience have attempted to decipher the neural mechanisms that support behaviors in the social domain (review by Singer, 2012). For example, the brain regions that are activated when an individual assesses the hierarchical relationship between him/herself and another individual or two other individuals have been studied in various contexts (see Table ​Table1).1). It is important to note that the experimental stimuli and/or behavioral measurements used in each study vary and, as a result, the neural activation patterns observed among these studies tend to differ based on the stimulus parameters and experimental conditions. However, these studies have consistently identified several brain regions as involved in the perception and learning of social dominance, including the amygdala, the hippocampus, the striatum, the intraparietal sulcus (IPS), the ventromedial prefrontal cortex (VMPFC), and the lateral prefrontal cortex (LPFC).

What’s your point?

Just trying to find 'how it all work' - it seems whole dominance/aggression thing doesn't have 'center' per se, and thus you can't change it by some simple means ... I was hoping to find some more concrete ideas in first book - but it seems to be generic, may be good as starting point, but without (IMO) any great insight.....

You didn’t explain that in your original post, so once again nearly everyone who reads it, concludes that you have nothing to say or are perhaps insane because you think the quotes you have given explain everything when they don’t.

We cannot read your mind, Andrew-R. You have to tell us what you want us what you are trying to talk about, why that is important, and how it relates to TCB.

may be I try avoid writing too much from myself because I fear a lot of pushback or questioning?

Well, for me "The Conversion bureau" as mostly reflected in works of Chatoyance was very resonant. And I took some questions raised there (and in comments) seriously. Like, nature of our aggression. And if there any _realistic_ way to alter apparently very fundamental aspects of our behavior. As you noted in "Blade Runner" thread - no research will complete itself, so I pushed my laziness (?) aside and tried to research this topic a bit. Nowhere near enough for even imagining I can try something ..but a start!

The purpose of a forum is to question. Some people may feel the questions you have are invalid and express that with indignation. You have to accept that it is going to happen, but trying to prevent it, helps you understand your own questions better and sometimes gives you answers.

About changing ourselves: we are habits. We are nothing but habits. In deepleqrning, our choices create back propagation, but we also carry the weight of our biology. If we want to overcome that we have to choose to outweigh our biological programming.

I am very much for genetic alterations both in adult bodies and in future offspring. The world doesn’t need cavemen anymore. Yet, faults in biology and society create and nuture unhelpful traits. However, I don’t believe what we eat plays as big a role in our attitudes beyond the obvious. For example, too much sugar leads to being moody because of the constant jolts and crashes. Too much fat leads to irritability because of constantly shifting innards. Over eating leads to being irrateable because of being sore from not moving for too long while digesting.

If we don’t get what we need while our bodies are developing then we don’t develop into our current biological potential, but I don’t believe in “health nut” things like choosing kale over spinach plays a universal role role in such things.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7