social spaces are playable to the same degree as physical spaces
currently are. A new and powerful set of playable media
experiences could establish new genres of gaming and interactive
art. The goal would not be to recreate the everyday social world,
but to create social dynamics specifically crafted for use in media
— just as platforming games don’t reproduce the physics of the
everyday world (but rather tune physics for gameplay) and fiction
writers portray behavior and dialogue in stylized fashions that
differ markedly from the average conversation.
The video game that is closest to offering a high level of social
play is the experimental game Façade [14]. However, Façade
is a game of limited duration that has only two well-defined social
games (an “affinity game” and “therapy game”). Even with this
limited scope, the authoring process for creating Façade
was very time intensive and would not scale well to a larger game or a
series of games. As we discuss below, other, more limited forms
of social play exist in mainstream video games. These games
typically have very limited forms of social play and,
consequently, do not form a good foundation for moving forward
toward more meaningful degrees of social playability. We believe
strategic integration of humanities and social science concepts and
domain knowledge can provide a path toward overcoming the
limitations of these current approaches.

https://fatima-toolkit.eu/cif-ck/

and https://github.com/pynadath/psychsim referenced in [1]

well, it seems even within those frameworks describing social behavior is not simple, and often loaded with exactly kind of negative (for most involved) social games as described in [1] at page 5:

Examples of Berne’s social games are “Corner”
(manipulate another so that all their actions are wrong), “Tell Me
Your Problems” (get an admission of weakness), “Sweetheart”
(ridicule another in public to feel superior), and “Wooden Leg”
(elicit sympathy to cover up irresponsibility or bad decisions).

or here

additionally, it seems we even have "Bullying sim" with extension about social networking!
Modelling Social Network Interactions in Games - Edgar Cebolledo and Olga De Troyer
WISE / Department of Computer Science / Vrije Universiteit Brussel
in "Intelligent Narrative Technologies and Social Believability in Games:
Papers from the AIIDE 2015 Joint Workshop" - sorry, Google URL for this one not easily pasteable in forum.

6 BullyBook
Our approach for simulating interactions in social networks
is applied in BullyBook. BullyBook is a single player game
designed to teach teenagers to identifying cyberbullying
situations, learn the consequences of cyberbullying and
how to cope with it, and stand up for victims. The game
simulates a social network, where the player can see his
wall and the wall of the other NPCs. The player is free to
inspect the other NPCs’ interactions, and can decide when
to intervene and how (e.g. he or she can support bullying
or stand up for a victim). The player can also write on his
own wall and like interactions of NPCs. There are different
objectives in the game like befriend a certain NPC or to
stand up for some victims. A screenshot of the current
version is shown in figure 4.

but I think I'm already trained in real-life (social) networking situations about this phenomenon .....

For now I don't know how to map Chatoyance's ideas [edit: about at least two STABLE types of civilization, defined by their relationship psychology - humans who tend to gravitate, at least today, down towards not-so-nice and non-obviously dangerous interactions, and ponies, who have different enough balancing factors for stabilizing them much above levels reachable even for best humans] from english description into more formal language, but I think I'll return to this problem or may be will find some alt. route. ....

I might be able to understand what point you are trying to make by reading all three of these articles, but would you mind editing your post so that it makes more sense on its own?

Hm, I was searching for something allowing any interested party to model social interactions between humans, so questions like 'why we should behave like this?' will be relatively easily answerable by just running simulation. And it will be more clear what we can 'tweak' inside ourselves for avoiding kind of (anti)social games we subconsciously tend to play over each other. While I don't think I found anything ready-to-run, I tried to compose at least something from my search and left it somewhere, so I'll have anchor in my memory and someone else will have chance to reuse some of this thinking. I used quotes heavily mostly because they written more accurately than my own talk.

If you at least copy the introduction from the first site, I'm sure the Optimalverse people would eat this up.

added abstract and few lines from first paper into start post. (and also tried to expand a bit more why Chatoyance'verse come to my mind both as reason for searching those works and as excuse to think more!)

also, while looking for Second Life (virtual world) history I found this bit of text in wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Life

Another focus of SL research has included the relationship of avatars or virtual personas to the 'real' or actual person. These studies have included research into social behavior and reported two main implications.[134] The first is that SL virtual selves shape users' offline attitudes and behavior. The research indicated that virtual lives and physical lives are not independent, and our appearances and actions have both online and offline consequences.[134] The second deals with experimental research and supports the idea that virtual environments, such as SL, can enable research programs in that people behave in a relatively natural spread of behavioral patterns.[134]

paper - for slightly more detailed picture and limitations ... I basically skipped whole Second Life thing due to my first life being bumpy enough, so for now I'm trying to catch up with concepts and some 16 years of history (there was russian sci-fi book about virtuality, basically whole thing was said to be run run on our brains and very weak mid-90 network/computer hardware.. it was interesting to note how real-world events made simple virtual worlds possible just few years after publication of said sci-fi. Virtual workplace sounded exotic - yet it was already done few times IRL, it seems ..while I think for reading/writing and similar activities you better not emulate your work screen inside virtual space, because resolution and screen space still matter ...). It also gives me better understanding of Optimalverse/online RPG thing, I hope .... and before graphical/3d virtual world there were textual virtual worlds ....

I'm a little surprised, but maybe I shouldn't be. I come from the early days when IRC and MUCKs were the primary form of internet communication. I learned of SL and VRChat when they both came out so I already knew to look for my preferred realities within them as I had done before. All of the Furry IRCs have Pony rooms, so In Second Life, there is Trotsdale, which is where you can get a free pony avatar. It has a roleplay only zone but also a large public zone. While there I was told about some other places in SL: Clydesdale, Lunas Empire, Neighberry, Ruby Hills, Streamline, Timesville, Derpyland, Trot Springs and Carbondale. VRChat has free Pony avatars and a few pony themed rooms. Searching for them isn't hard, but finding the avatars can be. Since avatar cloning from other users is possible, if you have trouble finding them you should clone all the ponies you see.

However, IRC, MUCKs, Second Life, and VRChat are all living person interaction with only minimal game elements, so should this discussion move to another thread or if not, what am I missing about the relationship between these live-person-interactions and the SSGBAC topic?

6937172 (PeachClover)

Both systems (I mean one with more game elements and one about 'simple' social interactions) can highlight and even alter our real-world social behavir. But for altering our behavior in counter-current manner one should pay attention to yourself ..something that requre training/talent in itself.

I was trying to find some long string of comments describing game experience about two groups of humans who initially run into confrontation but then smoothed themselves out (under one of those Optimalverse stories) but I can't find it... Found few words from Chatoyance on 'power games', more accurately games about also giving away power - i think I found similar concept earlier while searching for something non-trashy for "my" dolphins .. Role-reversal thing. I come to simple conclusion if two beings basically adopt static dominant/submissive roles this will only lead to objective problems, even if subjectively they will feel their state as OK-ish.. Two dominant beings will make sort of arm race to the point where living will be very electrified..may be they will realize it and drop their mutual overclimbing, but it seems in humans dominant types hardly can give up on their dominance .. and two somewhat mixed/low-dominance/low-hierarchical type of beings finally can make something more ..interesting and lovely, exactly because they don't overdo this social thing and can change roles ...I literally sucked it out of my finger, may be because i personally dislike all this constant attempt at playing smartass 'for social reasons' ... I like less showy, but more consistent and ..reliable, in sense, human beings ...

But back on question about splitting discussion about 'free social interaction' virtual/online system from more obviously defined social game simulations ..I agree, will post my other findings in new thread (or may be one pre-existing thread here will be good for this).

Edit: Just searching for muck (lowercase) in Google was not helpful, but adding "acronym" helped.
MUCK

A MUCK is an online role-playing game that is usually text-based and accessible through telnet, as well as a variety of MUCK clients.

I'm having trouble understanding your post. I don't understand two parts: "for altering our behavior in counter-current manner one should pay attention to yourself ..something that requre training/talent in itself." and "all this constant attempt at playing smartass 'for social reasons' ... I like less showy, but more consistent and ..reliable, in sense, human beings ..."

I am also a bit confused about the importance of dominant/submissive relationships. Sorry about the confusion for MUCK but when you used MUD I thought you would have already known what I was talking about.

6937486 (PeachClover)

"for altering our behavior in counter-current manner one should pay attention to yourself ..something that requre training/talent in itself."

well, you saw more than enough of less-than-stellar human behavior online, this behavior propagate so fast because it is relatively simple thing to do..not paying attention easier than paying attention, for example. So, this is downcurrent. For swimming upstream one can have some sense of yourself, self-observability, and also being sensitive (but not overly-sensitive) to what others say, because not all things easy to observe from 'I" point. But then any self-observation will be useless if user for some reason can't change his/her behavior.. I think this might be related to our neurochemistry and all those microscopic processes making us thinking, feeling and living. But this knowledge/idea alone is not very helpful.. for example if I know tea makes me more assertive I obviously should not drink too much of it before doing some conversation.. or watch yourself more carefully. If I know my loud yell upsets my dog _ should stop myself before I started it ... Actually doing even such simple things definitely not meet 100% success rate in my life.

all this constant attempt at playing smartass 'for social reasons' ... I like less showy, but more consistent and ..reliable, in sense, human beings ..."

May be where you live humans don't like to oversell themselves? If yes - then you are lucky, because you don't need to perform this ..mental downscaling with unknown coefficient, and can run along humans, and with humans who usually not overstate themselves ....

I am also a bit confused about the importance of dominant/submissive relationships.

- well, you know there is problem in politics - very few high-end politicians (and nearly anyone with considerable amount of power ..and even relatively small amount of power ) can reason themselves away from power, especially in time when this is really needed. Our/their dominance just run forward, up and until it hit some ceiling... Today this is not necessary very direct dominance, but still ... asymmetry in what humans can (at their position) and what they should do according to logic of situation .... This same problem plays out on smaller scale - clubs, activism, family .....

well, you saw more than enough of less-than-stellar human behavior online, this behavior propagate so fast because it is relatively simple thing to do..not paying attention easier than paying attention, for example. So, this is downcurrent. For swimming upstream one can have some sense of yourself, self-observability, and also being sensitive (but not overly-sensitive) to what others say, because not all things easy to observe from 'I" point. But then any self-observation will be useless if user for some reason can't change his/her behavior.. I think this might be related to our neurochemistry and all those microscopic processes making us thinking, feeling and living. But this knowledge/idea alone is not very helpful.. for example if I know tea makes me more assertive I obviously should not drink too much of it before doing some conversation.. or watch yourself more carefully. If I know my loud yell upsets my dog _ should stop myself before I started it ... Actually doing even such simple things definitely not meet 100% success rate in my life.

All of this relates directly to a reply I made to someone a few weeks ago. Because it stands so well on it's own I'm going to quote the entire message:

My ability to put this into words is linked to my understanding of Artifical Neural Networks. The short of it is this: if you hold that our conscious mind is the emergent result of all of these processes happening in our brains, then the job of consciousness is to control back-propagation, but the weight of our back-propagation is limited per encounter so how we feel about something can only be changed over a course of several encounters where we are actively applying back-propagation.

To say that in English: I have had a phobia of heights and bridges, but taking a trip to see my brother required me to go over several really tall bridges. Logically, those bridges aren’t going to fall out from under me just because I am going on them, but that doesn’t stop me from feeling afraid of falling. The first step was to decide that, yes, I am going over the bridge. The second step was to acknowledge the preexisting programming and feeling to flee and then focusing all of my attention on denying that response by constantly reminding myself why that programming was incorrect and why I needed to cross the bridge in front of me.

Every time I had to cross a tall bridge, I had to do this, and for every time, it was like adding a grain of rice on the “don’t be afraid” side of a scale that was already heavily weighted toward the “be afraid” side. Trying to do this without the thing in question being present doesn’t work as well. It was a lot of mental work accepting the feelings that I was feeling while preventing myself from overreacting and constantly thinking about why it was important to go through rather than run away. After taking the trip six times in the past twelve months, I got to the point where the worst that happens is that I might feel uncomfortable about the experience while not being afraid of the experience.

Consciously, we see the situation of where we are and where we want to be as a frustration because we can easily imagine flipping the switch to just achieve that goal, however, I’ve come to believe that patience both while trying to change one’s self and others is important to achieving that goal because if the unconscious process (layer of neurons) that evaluates effort-to-reward is overwhelmed by our consciousness back-propagating frustration into the equation from trying to achieve too much too soon, then that process will fill our consciousness with a feeling that this is not an achievable task which makes it difficult to impossible to convince ourselves to continue investing into the small efforts that will become the change we seek.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11