NON-royal Alicorn 118 members · 61 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4
NicLove
Group Admin
The Ohvist
Group Contributor

This reminds me of Alicornundrum by Reality Check: which tackled Twilights' newfound position as an Alicorn Princess along with Equestrias' own cultural stigma in-regards to placing every Alicorn they could find onto an impossibly large pedestal.

Celestia sighed. "Tell me, Twilight-- why do you think I trained you? Why did I make you my personal protege'? What in Equestria did you imagine that I was testing you for, if not for this? I wanted you to become a Princess, I wanted you to become a ruler and a leader of Equestria. In retrospect, wasn't it obvious?"

Twilight looked up at the Solar Princess, her expression mild. "But did you ever ask if that was what I wanted?"

The throne room fell silent. Twilight repeated herself. "Well? Did you? Even once? Did you ever ask me if I wanted to become a princess or an alicorn?"

The silence was telling. "No. You didn't," Twilight answered for her. "You sprang it on me. Just like you sprang my... ascendance on me. It was nothing I ever wanted. Nothing I ever even IMAGINED wanting. To be a Princess? To wield power over others? To be lifted above and away from my family and friends? I never wanted any of this, no sane pony ever would."

"And you object to being ascended?"

"Do I look stupid?" Twilight snorted. "A tenfold increase in magic, eternal youth and wings? I'd have to have the IQ of a turnip to turn all that down." She looked Celestia in the eye. "What I resent is... not being forewarned. Not being made a part of the decision. And I KNOW that there were like, a billion variables that you couldn't account for," she said, rolling her eyes. "I know that ascension is a crapshoot. Heck, I know that the other Bearers stand a good chance of ascending just by being on the periphery of the fallout--- and don't you think that I didn't let them know it once I figured it out!' she dropped her eyes unhappily. "But that doesn't change the fact that I feel left out of the decision."

"Then why did you follow so eagerly in my hoofsteps, my faithful student?" Celestia asked. "Why did you become my pupil at all?"

"Because I wanted to study from you! I wanted to learn from you! I wanted to study magic under the most powerful being in Equestria-- to learn things no other pony knew! I did it because I loved learning, I loved magic! Not because I wanted a throne!"

"Is this not what you wanted?"

"I was already DOING what I wanted!" Twilight Sparkle shouted, stamping her hoof angrily. "I was a scholar, I lived in a home filled with books, with my daughter and my son, in a town that welcomed me that was filled with friends who were dear to me and a stallion who loved me! Maybe it wasn't as glamorous as being a princess in Canterlot, but I could have lived my entire life happily as a librarian in Ponyville!"

"Look at yourself, Twilight," Celestia said. "You are an alicorn now. You should be happy with this, should you not?"

"Of course I should. Every little filly wants to be a princess, right?" Twilight snorted disdainfully, brow furrowed, refusing to turn around. "That's what everypony tells everypony else, without ever asking the little filly."

A common staple of Reality Checks' work involves him writing Twilight Sparkle with her Seasons 1-2 personalities intact: where she still had a measure of skepticism and self-determination that allowed her to openly question and outright challenge Princess Celestias' many commands and tests that allowed for Twilight to stand not as a brain-dead puppet wearing blinders like she became in Season 3 onwards, but as an equal who can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the Princesses on her own and easily get the job done in her own fashion.

I mean, really. Why should Twilight have to save The Crystal Empire and stop King Sombra by her own self, when she could just as easily requisition additional help in the form of Well-Studied Magi, The Elements of Harmony, an armored train loaded with Royal Guards geared for Cold Weather Operations and Heavy Artillery; followed afterwards by sealing what little remained of Sombra within a Hermetically-sealed jar and devising several stratagems to deal with potential Changeling Infiltrators that could enter the Empire? Because that's what Twilight Sparkle went and did in Parting Words after growing sick-and-tired of the constant Tests that Celestia had been throwing at her all her life: resulting in Twilight openly calling out Celestia and abandoning her position as Celestias' personal student before starting this mission.

From what I heard of royal life too many traditions and rules. Some of which seem stupid like you can only eat what and when the ruler is eating. What kind of person invites people to a meal and then places restrictions on the food.

NicLove
Group Admin

Ya, I know

and when you are at a gathering, and they tell you the food is served, you can all get up and go serve yourself

BUT, you (and every other guest) have to way for others to go before you/them, but who is the other when it's told to every one
and you have to wait for your intier table to go all at ones, even thow two of them are chating and you are just standing there waiting

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4