Reviews of MLP:FiM 47 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3
Magic135
Group Admin

MLP Reviews

After the upset that was Griffon the Brush Off, we can only hope that the next episodes can do better. Boast Busters almost did it, but not the way we were hoping. Though, in my mind, this has more to offer than the last episode. Why? Well, let’s take a look.

A new unicorn has come to town named Trixie, a traveling magician, who thinks is the best magic user in Equestria, to a point that she even defeated a “Ursa Major”, something the mane 6 finds hard to believe. After Trixie won up Applejack, Rainbow and Rarity, Twilight was hesitant to use her magic, thinking if she showed off hers, she would be no better than Trixie. But things take a turn for the worst when two ponies, Snips and Snails, who think Trixie is the real deal, brings a Ursa to town for her to beat it, only to find out that Trixie didn’t really beat a Ursa, she’d made-it up to make herself sound great and powerful, as she calls it. So, it’s up to Twilight to use her magic to come-down the Ursa and save the town.

Now I know why most fans don’t like this episode, which is Trixie herself, she brags, she shows-off, she thinks she’s the best. I get what they mean, but then again, don’t real-life magicians do that themselves to make them sound so impressive that they can do anything? Maybe it’s just me.

While I get the message that showing-off can be bad, depending on the subject, and why Twilight doesn’t want to be viewed as one, I think it could’ve been done better, like after stopping the Ursa, she tells Trixie what to do to be a better pony, if they did that, maybe it might be a better story.

Now, while it is bad, there are some things that I like. Some of these include Trixie’s way of saying Neighsayers and this funny line from Snails:

Why is it they call it a flea market when they don't really sell fleas?

I also like the design of both Ursa Major and Minor, snice their both bear constellations, it seems logical to make them bears, but, yikes, that Major looks more like a monster than a bear.

While the episode tried to deliver something good, it wasn’t enough to impress a lot of fans. I can tell all a lot of effort went into this, but the episode is a lot like Trixie, a boastful showoff that’s all talk and no skill. I say give this episode a pass.

Final Rating: 6/10

This episode was very infamous for its major suckitude when I first sat down to watch it. I’d heard that it was bad, but from what I hear most people hate this episode because of Trixie, which I honestly don’t get. If there were any bad characters in this episode, they were definitely Rarity, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash.

Our problems first start off at the very beginning of the episode. Twilight and Spike run into Snips and Snails, who tell them about Trixie’s magic show. Despite not having seen even a second of Trixie’s show, Spike automatically responds to this by saying that Twilight is the best unicorn in Ponyville. Doesn’t that seem to contradict this episode’s moral about boasting?

Like I said, Rarity, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash really pissed me off in this episode. I would expect Rarity and Rainbow Dash to heckle Trixie while she’s trying to perform, but Applejack? Really? She hardly seems like the character to be a hypocritical bitch. Her showing Trixie up onstage in the middle of her show wasn’t even teaching her a lesson; it was just plan rude. Rainbow Dash and Rarity aren’t any better. In my opinion, the three of them got what they deserved. What makes their heckling all the worse is that they only watch her show for a minute or two before coming to the conclusion that Trixie’s a bitch, never once considering the fact that her boasting could all be part of the show and that she may be a very nice pony when not performing. She’s a performer. Of course she’s going to boast. That’s how you attract people to watch your show. Yes, she may exaggerate her abilities, but if she didn’t boast, then nopony would watch her show. It’s kind of her job to brag about her abilities. She’s trying to earn a living, after all. At the very least, Twilight, Pinkie, and Fluttershy had the decency to keep their mouths shut during her show. The Mane Six just utterly disgusted me in this episode. Given how much bragging they do on a daily basis, especially Rainbow Dash, they have absolutely no right to heckle Trixie while she’s trying to perform and earn a living.

For the climax, Spike gives Snips and Snails the brilliant idea of bringing an Ursa Major into town. They succeed in getting an Ursa Minor, which results in Ponyville being nearly destroyed. Trixie is the only pony in town who actually tries to stop the rampaging beast and her reward for it is to get trash talked by the Mane Six while she’s standing right there! I really can’t stand people who badmouth others behind their backs. It really annoys the piss out of me, and it especially annoyed me here because the Mane Six aren’t mincing any words about how they feel about Trixie while she’s standing in front of them. If you’re going to talk smack about somebody, at least have the courtesy of waiting until they’re gone before you do it.

Trixie could have done nothing at all. After all, she holds no ties to Ponyville. She’s just there on a visit to drum up business for her show. She could have easily escaped and left the problem to Ponyville. But at least she tried to fight against the Ursa Minor. Yes, her attempts were futile, but at least she put forth some effort to stop it. And what do the Mane Six do? You know, the ones who have friends in Ponyville and who actually live there? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Again, after the Ursa Minor is vanquished, by none other than Twilight Sparkle, no less, the Mane Six show their gratitude towards Trixie by belittling her. It’s episodes like this that have me hoping that the Mane Six would all keel over and die.

After the upset that was Griffon the Brush Off, we can only hope that the next episodes can do better.

Some would look into this statement and think, 'Famous last words'. But the enthusiasm is there because in the hearts of all fans at this stage of the Season, we all hope the season gets better. In light of the subject in question, 'Boast Busters', for me it felt like the episode was along the lines of: 'Close but no cigar'. Not to say that this episode was 'terrible' because there are some solid takeaways from it. But at the same time, however, we can acknowledge why some fans have 'reason' not to like this episode.

A new unicorn has come to town named Trixie, a traveling magician

And 'this' is where the heart of the episode stems from: Trixie (Or Trixie Lulamoon, if we consider that last part canon). Contrary to the popularity of Trixie, especially from a certain Equestria Daily user I know, Trixie... is not one of my favorite characters. So boastful, a slight obnoxious, having that 'I'm better than you' attitude... sometimes I wonder why fans like this pony? Not to mention the need to 'brag' about any 'feats' of magic she can achieve really brings a 'bad' stigma against magicians. Now I get why Trixie acts this way, it's a magician's 'job' to make the audience believe their feats are 'amazing'. I've seen plenty of them in Vegas.

While I get the message that showing-off can be bad, depending on the subject, and why Twilight doesn’t want to be viewed as one, I think it could’ve been done better

Now this episode does 'try' to express the dangers of showing off, and we do understand why Twilight is reluctant to show off her magical abilities even though that 'is' her talent. But the thing we come to know about unicorns in Canterlot... they have this rough reputation of being snobs. Probably even worse than Trixie, who makes a living traveling all over Equestria in a cart. And I do understand that Twilight feels she does not want to be a mirror image of Trixie, despite Spike's argument that her powers are used for good. Though at times... Twilight's own 'I don't want to be a show-off' does get annoying after a while.

Now, while it is bad, there are some things that I like.

To support my own argument, I don't consider this episode 'entirely' bad. In a way, it's a guilty pleasure of an episode despite some of its hiccups. Just because Trixie may not be one of my favorite characters, does not mean I don't find her funny. In some ways... she 'can' be. Even some of the lines in this episode are memorable. Not to mention this is the episode where we are introduced to the Ursa Major (Though 'technically' a Minor first), giant bear creatures with figures after the constellations of the stars. Though one thing to note about bears... very dangerous beasts, especially when threatened in their natural habitat.

The episode tried to deliver something good

The key word with this episode being 'try'. There was just enough effort to make this episode a slight bit 'bearable' in a sense and I 'still' enjoy it all the same. Is it impressive enough for the majority of the fans? Well... that just depends on how we look at the episode. At the end of the day, Trixie is just the boastful showoff who's all talk and no bark (Especially the liar reveal part where turns out Trixie can't beat an Ursa Major... much less a Minor). Turns out however this would not be the last time we see or hear of Trixie, though it would take a few seasons till then. While I do understand that Trixie does have a fanbase regardless of personal opinion. This is not the perfect episode by any means... but I do agree it's a passable one at best.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3