Fillydelphia Oracle: Literature Reviews 174 members · 138 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Snow Quill
Group Contributor
EPassing Feelings
Rarity has always been an artist. Even now, she can't resist the urge to create new masterpieces. If only she had someone to show them to.
Zontan · 1.6k words  ·  78  4 · 1k views

Overview

Alrighty, I’m gonna try a different approach to my reviews since the first couple took me FOREVER to write and I wanna get quicker with these.

Today’s review is a bittersweet love story by the fantastic Zontan - Passing Feeings.
(As a side note, I’ve had the privilege of doing a couple cover arts for him and I absolutely love working with him, he’s a great guy with some really amazing stories.)

Now obviously this is gonna contain spoilers for the story, so don't look at this until you've read it! (Or do, if you like spoilers). Now then, onto the review!

Passing Feelings is at its core a story about Rarity and Princess Twilight. We are introduced to Rarity sewing a dress in the beginning in what seems an ordinary and familiar scene. We learn right after though, that it has been a long time since Rarity has actually sewn anything because she is dead. The opening scene was of her ghost, sewing things only she could see and feel. Sandbar and Yona own the boutique now and Rarity watches as he cleans up the room, putting away the mannequin and sewing machine she had just used. In just a few paragraphs, we are given a wealth of information conerning the universe this story is set in, one where Rarity's spirit can't or doesn't want to move on. This is confirmed when Fluttershy shows up and asks Rarity why she doesn't move on, why she clings to the boutique and continues to make ghostly apparell none can wear.

The story shifts a bit and takes us now to Princess Twilight and her court, showing us a relatable and, in my opinion, very 'in character' Twilight. We find Rarity watching from 'her perch' until court is over and she approaches Twilight, who seems to have seen her for a moment. This moment was an interesting one and as a reader it made me sort of gasp happily. It is obvious that Rarity pines for Twilight, though whether they had any romantic connection in life is unclear, and this...connection gave me hope. Hope for what exactly I am unsure to be honest, as they wouldn't really be able to pursue any sort of relationship at this point.

In the final part, a week after, Rarity has made numerous gowns for Twilight and brought them with her and hung them all around her court. Twilight is able to sense that...something is there, a 'cold shock' hitting her as she casts a spell. Then, she is able to see all the dresses Rarity has made and after turning around, she is able to see Rarity herself. In a slight twist, Twilight can't hear what Rarity tries to say, only able to see her mouth move. Rarity steps forward to hug Twilight, the alicorn feeling the same 'shock of cold'. However, she now knew that it was Rarity.

Overall this story was just a beautiful piece. There isn't much in the way of a conflict or climax, but I find it is a satisfying story nonetheless. It has a nice ending, not one that is totally expected nor is it an unwelcome way to finish the story. Setting my personal experiences with the author aside, I really can't find anything I would critique on this story. Everything is explained pretty well in the end, and while I am left with a few questions, they aren't burning me up and leaving me unsastified with the story itself. Very well done Zontan.

Who else might like this
I would consider this a sort of 'slow burn' story, even for how short it is. It is also very sweet and a little bittersweet. This is a good story for when you aren't quite sure what mood you are in and want something quick that won't leave you angry, disgusted, or too sad.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1