Fillydelphia Oracle: Literature Reviews 176 members · 139 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
daOtterGuy
Group Admin

Till Death Do Us Part by The Sleepless Beholder

TTill Death Do Us Part
In life, Wallflower always questioned why Sunset stayed by her side. Now in death, she decides to get an answer.
The Sleepless Beholder · 2.1k words  ·  68  2 · 1.6k views

In life, Wallflower always questioned why Sunset stayed by her side. Now in death, she decides to get an answer.

Opening remarks

Till Death Do Us Part by The Sleepless Beholder (Beholder) is a romance drama starring Sunset Shimmer and Wallflower Blush. I have read Beholder’s work before and enjoyed it immensely, so I am looking forward to reading this one. There is also a definite theme of Sunflower shipping, which I do enjoy.   

Note: this story contains themes of self harm which do rub up against my “not read” list, however, there is nothing explicit. Additionally, though I am usually uncomfortable with those themes, my personal bias against it will not be factored into the main review. That will only bear weight in my personal score. Any discrepancy between the two is all in due part to this noted bias.

Technical

Several instances of comma misuse and overuse. Nothing that ruins the immersion or story flow.  

9/10

Character

The two main characters of this story are Wallflower Blush and Sunset Shimmer. Wallflower comes in strong as a self deprecating, tragic heroine with a compassionate streak. Sunset is her stronger rock with some shades of self sacrifice. 

Now, the characters are solid, they have defined personality traits and compelling back stories, the issue comes more down to that they don’t feel like they had enough time to develop. Another few hundred words dedicated to developing the chemistry between them more than they already are would have really solidified their characters.

It mostly comes down to establishing smaller interactions between them, the little moments that draw them to each other. Their primary traits are great, they just need some more development on their secondary characteristics.   

Overall solid characterization, but needed some more time to develop.   

7/10

Concept

The concept of this story is fantastic; interesting and engaging. Great description, piques reader curiosity and summarizes the core of the story, and has a great hook in the opening scene. The story does an excellent job of establishing the general rules of this world from the onset and immersing the reader in the plot. 

That being said, the setting the story takes place in could have been leveraged more. The world and concepts are interesting, but feel sidelined to the romantic drama between Sunset and Wallflower. This isn’t a bad thing, but with the world not being ingrained enough, it feels auxiliary instead of tying into the themes. 

The romance likewise is interesting and the core ideas are neat, but not enough time is spent on the tension and establishment of their relationship to really nail the emotional beats, which are further undercut by the time spent creating the world. 

Overall, fantastic concept and ideas, but needed some more time to tie in the world into the story and establish the romance.

8/10

Vibe

Firstly, as stated earlier the opening is fantastic. It both draws the reader into the story with a very powerful moment and establishes Wallflower’s character very early on. The ending also does have a good emotional moment that really hits the right notes. 

The main issue is the pacing and build up to that moment. 

Wallflower and Sunset’s relationship feels rushed due to a rather breakneck speed during the middle portion of the fic. There’s so much happening within this span of time with the establishment of the setting and showing Sunset’s and Wallflower’s relationship. It really needed about an extra thousand words to just tie in more of the setting and take the time to build on the fiery romance they have. 

The rushed pace also extends to the supporting cast and world building aspects of the story. All of these tantalizing elements are dangled in front of the reader, but aren’t brought to the forefront, so leaves the story feeling incomplete. 

Alternatively, instead of extending the world, it could be better to cut off extraneous aspects to boil the story down more to the core romance between Wallflower and Sunset. 

All that being said, the emotional beats hit. The messaging and theming ring true and they are quite poignant in the raw emotion brought forth between the two. 

Solid story that could use more elaboration or to be cut down to its core plot.   

7/10

Closing Thoughts

Till Death Do Us Part is a good dramatic romance with some interesting world building that could have used some more expansion or to be cut down into its key components. 

Despite this, it’s a heartfelt read and worth the time. I give this the Otter recommendation to read. 

7.75/10

Personal Score

It was a good read. My biggest gripe was that I felt more could have been done with the story to interwave the setting and character drama together. Otherwise, solid read and I still give it a personal recommendation. 

7/10

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1