10/10—the standard rating; awesome film with a couple of flaws
9/10—a wonderful film with several flaws
8/10–a great film with numerous flaws but not enough to ruin it
7/10—a fun and entertaining movie; not great but still enjoyable
6/10—a slightly above average film; it is something I might watch again
5/10—mediocre movie; not awful but not great either
4/10—a below average film; it could have been much better
3/10—a bad film; poorly written and poorly executed
2/10—a very bad movie; the few good things in the movie overshadowed by the bad things
1/10—a terrible movie; a total waste of time
0/10—a worthless piece of abomination; should have never been made

NOTE: This review was written on March 16th, 2021. Also, please don’t mind my hatred for Kiara as manifested in this review. Some of the points I made may not make sense to you as it is clearly my distaste for that character just showing. Just respect my opinion as I do yours. Thank you.

Greetings, my little cubs. This is yours truly with another Disney film review which will be covering the sequel to the original Lion King movie. This is The Lion King 2: Simba’s Pride. Oh yes, indeed... it was Simba’s overbearing and self-righteous attitude that almost ruined this movie for me. But that’s not the only thing of course. What’s even more annoying is the fact that this was wholly inspired by the old story of Romeo and Juliet. Facepalm Why? Just why do we need repetitive, boring, and sappy Romeo and Juliet type films that are just overall uninspiring and dull? It is just meaningless to me personally. I respect your opinion if you like these stories including this one.

But, please, for the love of Primus, just stop with that nonsense already! Sigh Anyway, most Disney sequels have a knack for being sub-par and underwhelming in comparison to their predecessors which are often better and superior to the sequels themselves. This sequel is one of them. Granted, it’s not completely terrible because it does have really good moments; however, the story and the character development were not well-written.

Aside from the good voice acting and the animation quality, this film was below average at best. But what did I truly like in this film?

Well, first off, I somewhat like Zira as a fanatical follower of Scar. Her zealous dedication in trying to overthrow Simba so that Scar’s heir—Kovu—can take over the Pride Lands was very interesting to see. Her psychopathy and narcissism were very scary, and her goal was quite clear. Plus, it would have been interesting for her original death scene to make it into the movie, but I can understand why they cut it. Suicide is too dark of a subject to incorporate into a kid’s movie. Nonetheless, that very aspect would have solidified her character and perfectly concluded her villain arc.

Nuka and Vitani were likewise entertaining to watch. But let me get this straight: if Scar wasn’t really Kovu’s father and neither for Zira’s two other children, then... why the heck do they have similar facial features that Scar had? Nuka almost looks exactly like Scar, and so does Kovu. Are you sure Scar didn’t Hakuna Matata your ass in bed, Zira?

Timon and Pumbaa were... okay in this film. That’s all I have to say about them.

Now as for Kiara... the daughter of King Simba... the future queen of the Pride Lands... I hate her character. Seriously, she was annoying as hell, she was very stubborn, and she just was too irritating to watch. Simba himself was no better as I already implied at the beginning. He was too high minded and arrogant to see how he was becoming more prejudiced and hateful towards Kovu and his family. I can understand why since they, except Kovu, were devout followers of Scar which prompted him to banish them. However, what did Zira and the others specifically do to him that resulted in their banishment?

You know the penalty for turning on the Pride Lands!

That line does not explain anything. It is so broad that it could mean anything. What did she do to him in particular? Never once explained.

Yes, yes, yes, everyone became happy and friends again after the final battle was over after Kiara herself is the one who reminded them of who they were supposed to be. 🙄

Why couldn’t Kovu be the one to say that? You know what? Never mind... it would been better if Simba wasn’t written this bad just to learn a lesson at the end. That’s just stupid.

This movie gets a 4/10. Stick to the original one, folks. If there is one thing this film managed to accomplish, its that Kovu managed to gain so many fangirls including my former coworker. Yeah, I guess that’s... something.

Peace.

eh, i thought it was good.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2