bookplayer's 50 Questions 42 members · 25 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13
Latecomer
Group Admin

...somehow I managed to forget this one and never notice...

(And if plugging the hole helps remind people this group existed once, then all the better.)

(And if plugging the hole helps remind people this group existed once, then all the better.)

Activity has been... dwindling. Everywhere. Hasn't it? The effort is appreciated.

48. Does your headcanon influence things like your favorite pony, ship, or episode?

'Influence' is a rather vague term. Everything influences everything at all times, with or without our knowledge and/or approval. So I'm going to dissect this question a little bit.
A) Would I have chosen a different favorite pony, were it not for my head-canon? Despite my efforts to make it easier to answer - for me, anyway -, this one's already an issue. See, I don't have a favorite. There's a lot I cherish and appreciate in many ponies, and I don't dare pick one of them 'as a favorite'. Head-canon has nothing to do with that either way.
B) Would I have a different favorite ship, were it not for my head-canon? Partially. There are several ships I like, a lot. But two of them stick out. AppleDash, as far as I'm concerned, has been confirmed as actual show-canon with that last episode. (Yeah yeah, I know, there's always room for interpretation. And I appreciate that, actually. I don't want to sink other's ships. May they continue to sail undisturbed. But as far as I'm concerned, it's canon.) But I have a second ship that I like just as much and that is decidedly not canon: Tuna. (As the talented artist Silfoe called it.) Twilights and Lunas interactions have been sparse. I think this ship grew on me to such an extend due to the media I consumed, Silfoe's Royal Sketchbooks first and foremost. This input, in turn, helped form my own head-canon. So in that regard, yes. Without this head-canon, I would probably not ship these two (to such an extent).
C) Egh. We run into the same issue with A. I don't have a favorite episode, really. I know that many people can do that. Take a whole, a story, a machine, and pick a single part of it and say 'I liked that most'. I can't. Take that cog out, or that character, or that scene, and not only does the whole suffer the loss, the piece you just picked loses much of its splendor. I can't say 'the two-part opener is my favorite', because in my head, I can't separate this from the rest of the story.

I can't remember if I ever answered the other questions. I might take a look at that at some point.

Latecomer
Group Admin

You did not, at least not here - but if this is your average level of analysis, I'm looking forward to it.

And personally, I'm pretty much with you on the "favourites" thing - hence my lack of giving an answer here myself. (Come to think of it, I do kind of have a favoured ship or three, but I think my liking of them is based solidly in Canon.)

Do ships have to be romantic?

Latecomer
Group Admin

Yes, in the common meaning. "Friendshipping" is also a thing sometimes, though. (Not sure what you'd call a version for purely sexual relationships.)

Alright. So are you only accepting questions for those three things then?

And only for how the head cannon affects them, and not how the head cannon might have been inspired by them?

Well, thank you kindly. I see that as an invitation to spam the other threads. :pinkiecrazy:

SuperPinkBrony12
Group Admin

7688396 I can't say it really has. If it did, I'd probably be more of a sucker for any episodes at all that focused on the Cakes and Pinkie Pie, seeing as I more or less adopted the headcanon from Lauren Faust that the Cakes love Pinkie like a daughter. But Pinkie's always been my favorite mane six member anyway, and my all time favorite episode of the show is "The Perfect Pear" which has nothing to do with headcanons.

Latecomer
Group Admin

If you have other related things you want to say, go ahead.

Please do!

Fluttershy and Rarity should have had more episodes together.

With the exception of her time with Discord, Fluttershy is a pretty decent representational shy character, and I love how Rarity challenges her.

Green Isn't Your Color, Best Night Ever, and Filly Vanilli, are some of my favorite episodes due that chemistry.

Instead we got annoying arguments between Applejack and Rarity, and Fluttershy holding Discord's leash.

One that note, Pinkie Pie and Discord were way more engaging in the scenes they shared together, and I wish they had been friends instead of what they got.

They respective lack of concern for social norms, blizzard world breaking nature's, and opposite views on the importance of fellow creatures, could have been really fun in the hands of competent writers.

I'm so tired of the "opposites attract" crowd using that motto as a excuse to pass on perfectly good storytelling.

Smolder was by far and away the most interesting character of the student six.

She struggled the most with culture shock, was by far and away the most outgoing, and had the most natural relationship of the series with Spike.

"She's All Yak" would have been far more interesting if tailored to her, since that internal conflict and desire was already established and present in her character.

Not to mention she could have been useful to Rarity as a replacement digger for Spike when he moved away.

Lastly, we should have seen Rainbow Dash actually working out, the way Fluttershy had to in "Hurricane Fluttershy", if only to sell us on the reality of how hard it is being a athlete.

So many opportunities, so much squandering.

Latecomer
Group Admin

I actually sometimes ship Rarishy.

I prefer to keep them friends. Rarity only seems interested in dudes, and I see no reason to change that. Plus I find the need to sexualize every intimate relationship is really overdone.

Latecomer
Group Admin

Fair enough. I was actually opposed to all inter-Mane shipping for a long time, and even nowadays I don't do it very seriously.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13