bookplayer's 50 Questions 42 members · 25 stories
Comments ( 37 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 37
Latecomer
Group Admin

Of course, since this was originally asked, a lot of things have been proven true or false by the show. No more, though!

(Also note that this will be the last numbered question, since 50 was basically a freeform one.)

Latecomer
Group Admin

As I said at the top, I dealt with this by ignoring such proofs - Equestria is a place that only exists in our heads, after all. Of course it's disappointing, but how I feel is more related to how prominent (and therefore harder to ignore) the contradictions are than to what is contradicted. And sometimes the show can do something cool with the contradictory element later, like Stranger than Fan Fiction (see Question 33) - if the contradiction itself is done this way, I won't even really be upset.

49. Would it bother you if the show proved part of your headcanon wrong? Any specific piece that would really bother you to lose?
Not really, I'm more concerned by story quality. If the story's good then headcanon can go poof with no remorse.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

After having it happen time and time again, the answer is "Only when they destroy it in an uncreative fashion". Which has sadly happened more times than I like. :|

Though in my headcanon, my headcanon all remains untouched or even supported by canon. :V

Faust wrote her episodes first because she knew that someone in Hasbro would try to screw it up sooner or later. Ever since the second season, Hasbro has been trying to nerf Celestia's godhood. They ended the show by tossing Celestia and Luna into a retirement home, I don't think it's possible to try to nerf them any harder than that, but since they have been trying to destroy everything that meant anything to the show, it really doesn't matter anymore. I've been angry for six years as I have watched bad decision after bad decision the last of which was, and I want to say this in colloquial English to get my point across: sending a mentally ill child to burn in hell then turning her to stone when she was pulled out with no more hesitation than they showed when throwing her in hell in the first place.

What started out as a cartoon to gently encourage growth of the soul into something wonderful, ended as just another animated soap opera, so I don't feel intellectually threatened when someone tells me that something I see as canon is not how it happened in the show.

Latecomer
Group Admin

I really don't think your image of Faust's image is quite right. But it's also clearly an account of your feelings. And Celestia's dignity is certainly one thing that has suffered over time, to the dismay of those of us who love her. (I could settle for her not being powerful if she was at least wise.)

No. Multiverse theory. Until it is concretely proven that there are no other possible timelines for our own universe I don't see how one can't just say alternate timeline and run with it to their heart's content.

That said I have yet to have my canon really be proven as to be an issue yet. The benefit of being late to the party as it were I guess.

SuperPinkBrony12
Group Admin

7039588 Cozy Glow is the one stain on the show that I think is going to always haunt it. And it all could've been avoided if they'd just settled on some kind of explanation for why she was so evil.

Latecomer
Group Admin

Not all of us feel she needs one - and anyway, how is this related to the question?

SuperPinkBrony12
Group Admin

7178937 Well, it just continues to bother me that a child received capital punishment for crimes that the adults in her life were just as guilty of. And in the second time around, she had been betrayed and surrounded by bad influences, and wasn't even given a trial to determine a motive. She was branded a lost cause even though we had nothing to go on as to why she turned out so bad.

As for the question itself, by this point I don't think it's really relevant since the show is done and secondary media like the comics are inevitably going to be considered canon or uncanon to whoever wants it to be in those categories.

Latecomer
Group Admin

I think in that case, it seems like her treatment rather than her motive which needs improving. Would a reason for her evil make what was done to her OK?

SuperPinkBrony12
Group Admin

7178943 Depends on the reason, but almost anything would be better than "She's evil just because".

Latecomer
Group Admin

Spoken like someone who beleves in the inherent goodness of children and/or ponies.

SuperPinkBrony12
Group Admin

7178948 I'm not denying that children can turn out wrong. But child villains are a tough sell in any media. The only successful examples I can think of are Darla Dimple from Cats Don't Dance and Baby Doll from Batman: The Animated Series, and the latter is the case of an adult trapped in the body of a child.

Latecomer
Group Admin

Well I liked Cozy a lot - the villain group wouldn't have been half as fun without her. And after what happened with Starlight and Diamond Tiara, I lived in fear of Cozy getting a backstory.

SuperPinkBrony12
Group Admin

7179142 Except for a major villain like Cozy Glow, we need some kind of explanation if we're to take her seriously.

Latecomer
Group Admin

How many of the major villans were explaned? Luna, Starlight, Stygian.... but not Discord, Chrysalis, Sombra or Tirek. Are the former more popular than the latter?

Or at the very least a nastier disposition. Seriously most of the crimes Cozy committed was the same type of stuff Discord pulled and that's after he was "reformed".

Latecomer
Group Admin

No, draining all magic from Equestria, trying to take over Equestria and inciting mass conflict among ponies are all things he only did when he was evil or not at all.

Tried to commandeer The School Of Friendship and when that failed sabotaged it; A Matter Of Principals.
Causing a ecological crises through the draining of magic, check, check; Princess Twilight Sparkle, Twilight's Kingdom.
Luring ponies into dangerous locations under false pretenses, check, check; Threes a Crowd, A Matter Of Principals. (Technically Princess Twilight Sparkle since he could've stopped the vines but chose not to).
False Imprisonment; Twilight's Kingdom, Princess Twilight Sparkle again.
Emotional manipulation and willfully causing a division among friends; What About Discord.
Banishing a pony to another dimension; Make New Friends But Keep Discord.
Threatening and menacing; A Matter Of Principals.

And that's not even covering crimes from Return of Harmony, and Keep Calm And Flutter On or that Fiasco during Season 9, or the times he's interfered with government affairs by kidnapping or misleading the princess, or his various physical assaults, mental assaults, mutations, and all the other numerous many, many wonderful things Discord gets up to in his spare time.

Latecomer
Group Admin

And the fact that Cozy is in his general league for both depravity and damage at her age, despite not having any real powers of her own, is quite the feat. I find her disposition quite nasty enough for her role.

Comment posted by Wild Stallion deleted Jun 7th, 2020

Comparatively she hasn't had the chances that Discord or Chrysalis have had, and she's no where near as threatening as Tirek, (Blowing up a house with a barely escaping protagonist creates a certain level of intimidation that is very hard to top).

Latecomer
Group Admin

And we should judge her for coming in late? (A direct shot at the whole group comes close.)

(A direct shot at the whole group comes close.)

Was this The Ending Of The End? Because between the fact the Cozy's blasts hardly do anything throughout the finale, and the last that the last time these three chuckle heads used a three beam attack on people it was only enough to knock them out, I generally have a easier time believing that the anvil Muffins drops in Pinkie Sense was more likely to kill someone. Besides, Chrysalis was in charge and dose anyone really think that after all that gab about breaking the Main Six she would allow it to end there? Especially since she still lacks the good sense to feed Starlight's magic to Tirek after she's the main reason the Ponyvile Five escape. It's villain decay; I can't take a murder attempt seriously when your victims shrugged off the last one.

Latecomer
Group Admin

The ground doesn't shrug it off when they evade. Would you like a picture?

Yes. But remember they took a blast that was strong enough to smash solid rock and where left with not a scratch on them and ponies have been shown to be nearly impervious to injury before, so there's not a whole lot of ways you can make murder terribly believable at this point.

Latecomer
Group Admin

When was that? And comedy invulnerability shouldn't dilute drama. She had no more intention of them still existing than Sunset did in Equestria Girls.

Previous episode. When the trio broke through that rock, the shrapnel from the impact should've at the lest scratched them up, yet I don't see a mark on them in the next episode.

Latecomer
Group Admin

First, scratches and bruises are often below the show's level of visual detail. Second, we never actually see the rock break - they could have surrendered first. Third, reminding me of that obviously lethal attack Cozy took part in doesn't help your case. Fourth, I'll admit that Cozy does use a stun shot on Fluttershy later - but that's a quick flash, not the charged-up crater-maker she opened the fight with.

First, scratches and bruises are often below the show's level of visual detail.

Early seasons managed just fine.

Second, we never actually see the rock break - they could have surrendered first.

Given the massive flash of light we see at the end do you honestly think that's what happened?

Third, reminding me of that obviously lethal attack Cozy took part in doesn't help your case.

Except it wasn't lethal, we see them sitting in their cages perfectly fine.

Fourth, I'll admit that Cozy does use a stun shot on Fluttershy later

not the charged-up crater-maker she opened the fight with.

I had honestly forgotten about that, which quite frankly speaks to the problem of Ending of the End.

We've seen so many people survive these three's attacks and the animations aren't much different from attack to attack, so it was hard for me to notice any change in regardless to the damage their attacks were dealing out.

It kind of says something though, that the last interaction Cozy had with the Main Six and Spike, was them brutalizing her and trying to set her on fire. Up until that point she had been pretty non-lethal in her approach.

Latecomer
Group Admin

Given the massive flash of light we see at the end do you honestly think that's what happened?

Except it wasn't lethal, we see them sitting in their cages perfectly fine.

I can only conclude they were lucky, then - the rock barrier absorbed most of the force and broke in such a way none of them took the full impact of the blast. Because normal ponies are not tougher than stone walls - if nothing else, it defeats the purpose of them using such a shield in the first place.

We've seen so many people survive these three's attacks and the animations aren't much different from attack to attack, so it was hard for me to notice any change in regardless to the damage their attacks were dealing out.

How often have we seen direct hits survived? Ones that turn objects to piles of ash and leave smoking holes in the ground?

(Also, might this discussion fit better in Cozy's forum?)

First off, I can now see and better understand why you had, at times, struggled with answering these questions, Latecomer. I thought broader questions might invite broader answers, but I find myself lacking much to say. How peculiar.

Secondly, I've read the Cozy Glow discussion. I... don't actually want to participate in that, and yet I feel the need to at least say something. It's my own interpretation, of course. Something to keep in mind. The show always tried to teach decent moral lessons. You don't need violence. Listen to others. Be open about your worries. There are many, many, many good lessons to be found here. The execution might sometimes be less than perfect, but hey. What's ever perfect, right? As for Cozy Glow. I know it's not going to be a popular opinion. But sometimes, evil just... exists. No rhyme or reason to it. At least none we could hope to ever understand. Things outside of our comprehension. Maybe she was 'just' mentally ill. But I like to think they would have thrown us at least a sentence or two if that were the case. (Wishful thinking, I know.) While it's simple, it's also hard to accept: I just think Cozy Glow is evil. And I think that was the point. These three had episodes showing them caving in, almost. Almost understanding trust and friendship and goodness and I think Chrysalis and Tirek can be redeemed. I don't think Cozy Glow can be. I believe there is such a thing as primordial evil. Evil that exists for evil's sake. Maybe a measure of fate to balance things out. I don't know. I don't claim to understand. And that actually makes her a lot more scary than the other two. Because of the mere possibility that there are creatures that cannot be redeemed, cannot be bargained with, cannot be reasoned with, that have absolutely zero good in them and there is no apparent reason for it. That's scary. (To me.)

Nooow, as for the actual question. The show proved parts of my head-canon wrong while it was still running and I just shrugged and stuck with it anyway. So... no, doesn't bother me all that much, it seems. And since I apparently am capable of rejecting canon in favor of my head-canon, I can't really 'lose' anything, except when I allow myself to 'lose' pieces. Which, at this point, isn't really a loss and more of a conscious decision.

Latecomer
Group Admin

Hmm... I'm actually gonna say I don't think Cozy - that any of them - was necessarily irredeemable. (And not just cause I've seen it done well for all of them in fanfic before). It just wouldn't be a process of turning her "back" into a good or innocent Cozy she once was. but rather shaping a pony who had never been good or decent except in pretence into something new. I don't know if it can be done, but it's probably worth a shot.

Nooow, as for the actual question. The show proved parts of my head-canon wrong while it was still running and I just shrugged and stuck with it anyway. So... no, doesn't bother me all that much, it seems. And since I apparently am capable of rejecting canon in favor of my head-canon, I can't really 'lose' anything, except when I allow myself to 'lose' pieces. Which, at this point, isn't really a loss and more of a conscious decision.

Good way of looking at things. :pinkiehappy:

It just wouldn't be a process of turning her "back" into a good or innocent Cozy she once was. but rather shaping a pony who had never been good or decent except in pretence into something new. I don't know if it can be done, but it's probably worth a shot.

Hmmm. First instinct was to yell 'sold!', but I'm not that cheap, am I? I don't know. It's a decent approach. Intriguing. Maybe I'll give it some thought, let it stir in my head for a while. See what comes of it.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 37