Fan Club of A Man Undercover 52 members · 89 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3
A Man Undercover
Group Admin

So, not too long ago, I had often been thinking a lot about what TheClownPrinceofCrime commented about Zira in his review of "The Lion King II: Simba's Pride". Among the many things I remembered reading were that he felt Zira wasn't entirely fleshed out or developed as a villain compared to Scar, and that her character arc wasn't properly concluded through her death scene.

And I will say this:

In spite of how much I enjoyed the character, I actually can't help but agree with TheClownPrinceofCrime on these things. Granted, I liked that the film team didn't go with their original intention of Zira committing suicide, but even on that ground...I feel now that they should've given her a more satisfying and proper pay off as an antagonist. And delved into her backstory and history more, of course, mainly to help her and the rest of the Outlanders not feel too out of nowhere.

In the end, I guess that's another reason for why I'm interested in seeing Disney's actual feature animation division create their own cut of the movie, because not only do they often provide a stronger animation quality, they also take the time to really personify and develop their characters.

If such a version were to come to fruition, what do you guys suppose would be a greater pay off for Zira? And what sort of things do you guys think they should do to further develop and flesh the character out? The same with others like Kiara and Kovu?

I’m happy to listen to any scenario

Honestly, I would interpret the suicide scene as a "Better to Die Than Be Killed" kind of scenario.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3