Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

I'm just getting back into the swing of writing regularly after a long break. I have a lot of story ideas backed up and have been deciding on where to focus my attention. I wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were about whether they felt longer stories or shorter stories are more engaging to potential readers. I know that as with everything, both have their strengths and weaknesses, but it seems that to the casual reader a shorter story is immediately more appealing. I have two stories so far, one short and one long and the interest generated between them has been night and day. It's far from the end of the world but I just found it interesting. I don't mind working on either, nor do I mind reading either, so when I think about the matter I just end up in my own personal stalemate. What does everybody think?

I write short stories and long ones.

I do short stories when I have an idea to play with and just want to focus on it.
So short stories are a break from doing longer stories.

Long stories require more work.

Scaramouche
Group Admin

I’m with Seven on this as I try to write a mixture too, I seem to find stories and chapters that equal out around the 7-8k mark are popular, as they can read them without feeling they’ll have to pause half way or give up sleep.

That's the point on the fence I tend to sit on as well. I certainly want to give people something fun; but on a site where so much content is uploaded regularly, I understand that something longer is going to require a level of commitment. To me, that commitment is something that has to be earned. I just got here so nobody is really familiar with my style. I would imagine that the more familiar you become with a particular writer, the more faith you are going to have in sitting down with a longer work from them.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4