The Disney Chronicles 134 members · 5 stories
Comments ( 345 )
  • Viewing 101 - 150 of 345
Dramamaster829
Group Admin

You know, I really should try that Krumkake. It sounds delicious.

I wonder if they serve them at the Norway section in Epcot.

It’s does sound yummy.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Almost reminds me of this one dessert that McDonalds did a commercial on some time ago. About being able to have a taste of the world without having to leave the states.

The Stroopwaffel Flurry, you mean?

That’s was actual name?

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Oh yeah it was kind of like that. I never had it myself but I heard it's pretty good.

I don't know. I've been trying to cut back on fast food and such.

- Hercules -
* The theatre where Hercules and co. were enjoying a play in the song "Zero to Hero" is actually a Roman theater, not a Greek one.

Would the ponies be on advertising because Hercules fame?

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Well... That all the more depends on certain scenarios. I mean it would give Rainbow Dash a bit of a big head for getting all that attention just for helping a demigod slay a monster or two. It would be a shame if they didn't get some form of recognition all because it's supposed to be Hercules' story. Course while some ponies would enjoy having the attention, 'mostly' Rainbow Dash, some will have to realize that being 'famous' is not the same as what it means to be a 'true' Hero.

Yep.

And about the fun fact. Guess Disney wasn't all that accurate depicting Ancient Greek architecture. Heck, some buildings in the movie are from Roman times, like the theatre.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Here's how it is when it comes to Disney: Nobody is ever perfect and Disney is no exception.

It's hard to determine what kind of 'Hercules' we are getting, on one hand there's the 'Roman' side of his exploits and then there's the 'Greek' mythology side of the lore. Some would say they're pretty much the same thing, though that would be like saying that a janitor and a custodian are pretty much the same (Twix reference). In a way, that's probably what Disney thought when they put 'Hercules' together and in their minds they were thinking so long as the fans get a movie they'll enjoy then what difference does it make if things are not entirely 'accurate'? Maybe this movie was never a 'Greek' story but rather it was to relate close to the 'Rome' side, but that's basically up to interpretation.

For all we know, maybe it's just a coincidence that most of the architecture just happened to fit the designs in Ancient Rome more than Greece. Maybe they just didn't have enough time to find the right designs for the settings, but until we know for certain this movie is one of those 'Take what you get or just skip it'.

Speaking of Romans, are you familiar with a couple of structures still existing today? Like the colosseum?

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Who doesn't know about the Coliseum? I know it's still a popular tourist attraction for folks who keep coming by just to see it in the midst of the busy streets. I've personally never been around that part of the world myself, but I know plenty of folks who've been around the region to see the sights.

Yep. The Colosseum is an undisputed world-class tourist destination. I've dreamed of going there myself

But of 200+ of these Roman colosseums, only 4 survived antiquity and are still used.

Like this one in Arles (where Vincent Van Gogh lived)

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Oh yes it is true. There are very few left standing in that surrounding area or anywhere else. There are many reasons why there only four that are still standing, either natural disasters or they got torn down or eventually the material used to keep them standing suddenly wore off over time. But whatever the case may be, the fact that pieces of history are still standing only goes to prove that so long as they continue to pay the proper respect they'll remain this way for the next decade or so (Depends).

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

Y'know how in the original concepts for Robin Hood, the writers originally planned on having the Sheriff be drawn as a goat (which they later scrapped in favor of a wolf)? Well after watching Green Eggs and Ham on Netflix, I can pretty much see what Disney was missing out on.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

I'm sure among many regrets, not a day goes by that Disney doesn't ask 'What if we could've done it this way?' and yet here we are. We're stuck with a Sheriff, who is a symbol of greed and gluttony both figuratively and in some cases... Literally (Also an abuse of power, but that's beside the point). Now many other cartoon studios would have a goat as a villain, not just the company behind 'Green Eggs and Ham'. We have Grogar (Who is arguably one of the greatest villains in MLP history) and even this one protagonist in a Japanese movie turned into a monstrous Ram just to exact revenge on a Wolf for killing it's mother (It gets complicated). At least in many years after this movie, a wooly creature of sorts would end up being an antagonist... While it wasn't a goat, it was a seemingly friendship sheep secretary, it came close to making up for it.

Least if it is 'possible', if not 'probable', to incorporate a goat-like antagonist into the 'Disney Chronicles', perhaps this series may provide an opportunity to bring the "REAL" Grogar and give him a more prominent role (Rather than having a 'false' Grogar, used as a disguise for a rather ridonculous scheme).

Wildcard25
Group Contributor

7088661 I know what movie you're talking about. Ringing Bell. When I first watched it I was shocked to see a sweet little lamb would grow up into a killing machine ram from learning under his mother's killer.

And I agree I wonder if several of the crew still wonder if they did the right thing making Grogar Discord in disguise. I would've loved to see one final antagonist appear and threaten Equestria than just three past villains team up

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Well, much as it was ultimately decided to make The Sheriff a 'Wolf' or using 'Grogar' as a disguise by Discord, they believed something would work and they stuck with it. And once they make their decision, there is no turning back. One of those things that just carries on for years to come.

The Lion King
*In an interview by Variety, Hans Zimmer originally wanted to turn down scoring The Lion King as he thought Disney would be giving him a film about "magical fairies and princesses or furry animals" he said, adding that "fairy tale music" is out of his area of ingenuity, as his daughter is fond of fairy tales. He was eventually convinced into being involved in the film's music after realizing that the film's genres include drama, tragedy and that it tells a story about "a boy losing his parent" he stated.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Well, I can't say I blame Mr. Zimmer on being initially hesitant with the project. Sure Disney is mainly known for stories of fairy tales, whether it's fairies, princesses or talking animals. But just because that's what Disney is mainly known for, it doesn't mean that's the only thing they can do. Yes, they can still have talking animals, but they do want to do things in a way that makes it more than another standard kids movie with pop culture references. They can tell stories through the power of music, when there's drama or tension between friends, when the protagonists goes through the motions of a tragic event (Or even when the villains have a tragic backstory on rare occasions), and because they can take the simple concept of 'A boy/girl losing their parents' and find a way to make it new and engaging.

And if Hans Zimmer did not ultimately choose to take a chance with this movie, 'The Lion King' probably wouldn't be the major success it is today.

Dinodisneylover1
Group Admin

And the goat or ram is in some stories symbolised as evil because its known in religious tales as the pet of Satan.

Dinodisneylover1
Group Admin

Disney's Robin Hood also used some elements from the classic fable Reynard the Fox and the main character's main antagonist was a wolf. I've read the book when I was still at school.

Here's some more information:
Initially, Walt Disney Animation Studios considered a movie about Reynard. However, due to Walt Disney's concern that Reynard was an unsuitable choice for a hero, the studio decided to make Reynard the antagonist of a single narrative feature film named Chanticleer and Reynard (based on Edmond Rostand's Chanticleer) but the production was scrapped in the mid-1960s, in favor of The Sword in the Stone (1963). Ken Anderson used the character designs for Robin Hood (1973) such as the animal counterparts (e.g. Robin Hood like Reynard is a fox while the Sheriff of Nottingham like Isengrim is a wolf).

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Well, if that 'Witch' movie with the banished Salem family taught me anything... Not going to argue on that one. No wonder Grogar was portrayed as a Ram, pure evil that guy is.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Oh yes I do remember reading about that one. To think 'Chanticleer' would be the star of that 'Rock-A-Doodle' movie Don Bluth put together... Sadly, it wasn't one of his best pictures (Even with all the talent they got, including that Disney Sing Along kid, Tobey).

Dinodisneylover1
Group Admin

I kinda liked that movie, the villain was great too. Captain von Trapp really outdone himself in this role, especially when he voiced another villain in a certain Pixar movie.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Oh yes, the Owl dude was essentially the best part of the movie. And yes, the man, Christopher Plummer I believe, would go on to take on the role of Charles Muntz. Who initially we think was a good guy but became a victim of circumstance when he was accused of bringing a fabricated skeleton. Turns out he's a cold ruthless man who wants to capture the 'Beast of Paradise Falls' (A.k.a. Kevin) so badly that he won't let anyone get in his way. He'd even be willing to kill a kid.

Dinodisneylover1
Group Admin

Yeah. And surprisingly, he played in another Don Bluth movie as a pigeon with a nice french accent to boot. Could also be perfect for Lumière.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Oh yeah, I remember that. 'An American Tail', one of Don Bluth's most heartbreaking yet beautiful movies of all time. Memorable characters, decent animation, remarkable setting, and an unforgettable score. To think Fievel would be the mascot of Amblin Studios before it went out of business.

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

In the TV Show Once Upon A Time both Robin Hood and Maid Marian are human. But apparently, the producers were more fond of the idea of killing poor Marian off in favor of shipping Robin with the Evil Queen from Snow White.

“...excuse me.” *Runs out the door and screams*

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

THEY DID WHAT NOW?!

Okay, I have never seen 'Once Upon A Time' in my life... But, WHAT?!?!

Wildcard25
Group Contributor

7136143 Yes. As I've said elsewhere, the Once Upon a Time series really likes to take the Disney version of fairy tales and even movies along with other classic fairy tales and twist and warp their stories and characters that you almost would never recognize them. And make them all connected through several past exploits that boggles the mind making out try and piece together all the events of the past in order

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Though whether they are actually 'canon' with the whole Disney ordeal is entirely based on speculation and interpretation. If anything, it's easy to look at this as an 'alternate' canon. After all, Disney has yet to touch 'Rumplestiltskin', at least not yet.

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

Zootopia
Fun Fact: The guy who does the voice for Mayor Lionheart is the same actor who played as J. Jonah Jameson in the original Spider-Man Triology.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

That's right. Even though what he did was rather questionable, taking these predators that supposedly went wild and funded a private study in a hospital to determine the cause of their behavior, he's not a completely terrible guy. Though 'maybe' if he were a little nicer to that little lamb, maybe she wouldn't have think of making all those predators monsters and threaten to take the Mayor's job just because she needed someone to blame.

The Little Mermaid

*Don't you know that Rene Auberjunois was related to Napoleon?

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Onward

*This is the fifth Pixar film not to have humans in it, following A Bug's Life, and the Cars movies, and therefore making it the second one not from the Cars franchise.

Trivia twist!!!!

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Onward

*When Ian and Barley pay the tollbooth at the start of their quest, the Pizza Planet Truck (renamed "Pizza Realm" to fit with the film's theme) is at the second tollbooth from the left. A Pizza Realm sticker also appears on the cooler inside Guinevere.

Actually, it was on his mother's side of being related to Joachim Murat, one of Napoleon's marshals, and his wife, Caroline Bonaparte, Napoleon's youngest sister. More or less, the relation is indirect.

I know. Besides some famous people related to Napoleon are indirectly related through ancestral issue (marriage, illegitimacy, etc.).

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Well nowadays, we'd be surprised what we can learn from using 'Ancestry.com'. Just take a swab of DNA, send it to some strangers for testing, and sure enough we'd be amazed who we are related to.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

*James Baxter, Andreas Deja, and Don Hahn worked with this film before going on to work with the Disney Renaissance.

*This marks the only time Mel Blanc and Joe Alaskey worked together in Looney Tunes voice roles. This is also the only time Blanc worked with the current voices of cartoon characters, such as Tony Anselmo, Jim Cummings and Russi Taylor.

*Charles Fleischer wore a Roger Rabbit costume on set while voicing his character behind camera.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

1. Well, everyone gets their start somewhere.

2. That must've been quite an experience working with Mel Blanc, and while he was still around.

3. Well, that's one way to get in tune with a character. The best way to fully 'act' the part is to 'become' the character, literally being in his shoes, and getting inside his mind. Thus, is the very essence of 'acting'.

Also, another one.

*In the piano duel scene, Daffy Duck was drawn in the Bob Clampett/Tex Avery version. In the end of the film, he is drawn in the Chuck Jones design.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

1. Wouldn't even notice the difference unless you looked very carefully. But I guess it's to show that Daffy Duck can exist regardless of which animation style is preferred. Or maybe they just wanted to slide a Chuck Jones version in as subtle as possible.

Phantom-Dragon
Group Admin

Did you know Jodi Benson also starred in the Cartoon Network Show Camp Lazlo?

Now here's my reaction:

*Screams like a goat*

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Was Benson that Doe counselor for the girls camp that the Moose guy had a serious crush on?

It's been a while since I watched that show. It wasn't one of my favorites, but it was harmless enough.

Disney Music.

*Did you know that two members of the British progressive rock band Genesis were involved in making music for Disney? Phil Collins sang songs for 1999's Tarzan while Peter Gabriel wrote music for the Pixar film WALL-E years after Collins.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

That is true. We know about Phil Collins have worked on 'Tarzan' at least soundtrack wise. Of course, I haven't precisely followed 'Genesis' so I wouldn't know that Peter Gabriel was involved with it too. But still... just to hear how such great artists were involved is quite a series of facts to look into.

• Viewing 101 - 150 of 345