My Little Reviews & Feedback 505 members · 861 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Azure Drache
Group Admin

The Call of the Wretched Sea by Starlix

Read two chapters: 6307 words

Pros:
Good descriptions and atmosphere, right from the start, I can really imagine how the little ship sails thorugh the ocean.
A few hints for the storyline, I would like to see more of them, they are good.
Lot of details for the surroundings and side actions.

Cons:
If she is still able to use her magic, more precise to teleport I don't know why she is on that ship still?
Well it heavely implied it is Twilight in the first chapter and with the description of her actions and her status, I wonder why I should fear for her? The atmosphere is well done itself but the character shouldn't have so much problems to handle the situation.
The story presses hard on the atmosphere after a while, I miss a bit of substance.
After two chapters I must say I am very bored, all the story presents is very well done atmosphere, but there is no real context, or storyline or anything that hook my interest. It is like seeing an random emotional scene from a movie without knowing anything else from it.

Summary:
Ok we have here an author who is raelly good at descripting scenes and get the feeling of loneliness and despair across. The story starts right in a bad situation for the main character and here lays the problem in my opinion. Yeah we know it is Twilight, but it is not the cannon Twilight obviously and we don't know what happend or what is her goal or anything for now. How should we care for the main character if we no nothing about the context of the story? Just taking an Mlp main character and put them into some situation don't raise feelings for their situation, at least not for me, I need far more substance.

However, a few small hints for the past events are merged into the scenes and they make interest for more. If there would be a bit more backstory/context this could have been an emotional jorney so far but sadly it hasn't it yet. I really have hoped for more infos whenever the past was mentioned for a second.

So while reading I found myself having a bit compasion for Twilight, since reading this scenes felt like her sail through the ocean, intense but blunt at the same time.

Rating:
5/10 If this was a scene out of a longer book, I would like it. As an own story, it is honestly just lacking of, mhh, the feeling of care for the characters.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1