Please Read My Story 367 members · 3,852 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
Quillian Inkheart
Group Admin

Hello there! I'm just tossing out there that, while I'm being a little slow with it, I am working on ideas for a "500 Stories Writing Competition!" If anyone here has partaken or helped host another kind of writing-prompt based competition, this is my first time ever hosting one, so some advice will be appreciated.

I've got the prompt ready, but I am waiting till December 1st to begin. Anyone who wishes to participate in the competition should wrap up whatever they're working on between now and then, and be completely ready to dedicate yourself to the project at hand. Rules will be updated prior to the prompt reveal, just so everyone knows where they stand on what they'll be writing, even before they sit down to write.

I hope to hear some suggestions soon! Either reply here or toss me a PM on suggestions and advice. Many thanks, and happy writing!

- Quillian B. Inkheart

For advice I would say don't be overly vague. I've seen some competitions were the only requirement were to have a specific race, like thestrals, so as long as it had that it would count, sci-fi, horror, romance, all that matter was that it had thestrals in it. The type of competition I enjoy the most are the ones set to a theme. The one I participated in was set around the the theme of "murder mystery."

Also since there are not that many members in this group, you should consider posting about in the promotion group.

Quillian Inkheart
Group Admin

I planned on promoting it; I'm an Admin over there. :twilightsmile: Thank you for strengthening that decision.

As for a theme, I was going to put a rule that sets the stories specifically in either the EQG or MLP worlds; no cross-genre spinoffs, but something grounded in the show's setting. Beyond that, I was of course going to include a minimum/maximum word count, along with the prompt. I'm going small for this one, since it's my first time ever hosting something like this... Do you think that's too limiting?

The word count may be a bit limiting, but it depends on what the prompt is. Over all, it should be fine.

Quillian Inkheart
Group Admin

It was going to be a pretty broad word count. :twilightsheepish: It's mostly so we don't have a ton of Longfics turned in. :rainbowlaugh:

Badwolf1175
Group Admin

Thanks for the help. :twilightsmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6