Songs of the Spheres: Extended Multiverse 215 members · 58 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

How does this setting handle those Immune To Fate? I do know that Wallflower Blush of the Oversaturated verse was explicitly stated to be outside fate.

GMBlackjack
Group Admin

This is actually discussed at some point - I don't know if it's in a SotS draft or already published, so I'll spoiler it just in case.

There are beings who seem to have power over ka - those who can shape it (Monika) those who can know it (Twilence) and those who are Aware of its flows (Pinkies, etc). There are also beings like Mary Sues and other tropes that are 'gitches' in ka that, according to the Flowers, aren't supposed to exist and are 'deviations from the One True Plot'. A manifestation of the Immune to Fate trope would be considered one of these, depending on if the immunity to fate was an active part of a story or not.

And the next paragraph here DEFINITELY is a spoiler for SotS, specifically the nature of Ka/Narrative itself.

The cruel reality that nobody wants to accept is that there are no glitches in ka. Everything is part of a story. There are theoretically beings who have near-zero ka/narrative shadows, but anyone who has a story written with them in it is automatically significantly higher than zero (i.e., anyone you or I would be able to read about). In the case of those Immune to Fate, their story is ABOUT not falling into general ka/Narrative traps. For the most part, Wallflower and those like her would be able to live their lives however they wanted since their story is about "the anti-story". (though they'll find they get placed in situations where their fatelessness is more obvious than it should otherwise be.) This can be rescinded if they somehow end up involved in a story that 'means more' than their Immunity to Fate.

Hope that answers your question! If you looked behind the black bars.

-GM, master of mire.

Relevant to something I was thinking about for The City and the States, too, so thanks!

This thing gets really complicated if we try to Adapt Berserk into Ka model. The whole thing about Berserk is that causality or "fate" and in this context, Ka is driving everything and is actively being manipulated by the villains to drive their goals. Guts in the other hand is the struggler, and despite everything he is still impossibly bloody alive. This kind of makes the story a Ka paradox, as Guts is both driven by it and immune to it due to not dying to all the bullshit he regularly stumbles upon.

This complication kind of saddens me. I'd really like a Berserk chapter, as that world is in DESPERATE need of intervention, and Guts and Casca deserve some bloody happiness at this point.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4