World Building 369 members · 412 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

In real life, horses are often made into glue due to having lots of collagen in their bodies. In a predominantly equine society like Equestria, how do you suppose they make their adhesives?

Well, while glue used to be mostly made out of horses, these days most of it isn't, being made out of petroleum-based chemicals, the chemicals in question varying from glue to glue. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Equestria also used petroleum-based chemicals, though I could also see advantages in sticking things together with a magic spell, since it'd be easy to cancel later when you wanted to unstick them.

--Sweetie Belle

So you won’t let me back on The Writer’s Group but you’ll answer questions I have about lore here?:ajbemused:

gakposter
Group Admin

It is probably a magic-based substitute. Replacements for horse glue didn't really become common until the late 60s-early 70s, My impression of Equestria is that it's still mostly in the early 20th century, give or take, with some regressive elements and some hyper-advanced elements (for the era) due to the influence of magic. Why bother with petroleum when you have magically-altered materials? Though, depending on how you want to construct your world, magic might have more or less limitations, so it's really up to you in the end - but I doubt petroleum is anything more than a new substance/univented in most interpretations.

7858792 7858737 7858690 7858682

Plant-based glue is made by extracting the starch or cellulose from plants, and then mixing it with water to create a paste. The paste can then be used as a glue, or it can be dried and used as a powder. Plant-based glue has a number of advantages over traditional adhesives. It is non-toxic and safe to use, and it is also biodegradable.

Early glues were made of tar, pitch, casein (milk protein), and later eggs, fish, etc. From 1830 natual rubber was common. So glue made of various keratins,hides,fat and bones was only one of many types of glues throughout history. It's on Wiki.

gakposter
Group Admin

If Pinkie is any indication, Equestria is up to its knees in sugar. Sugar is sticky. And have you ever tried to wash your hands after peeling a zucchini? And that's to say nothing of cyanoacrylate. Adam Savage once said that an epiphany came to him when he realized that sewing and welding were basically the same thing. And finally, let's not forget that in Equestria, a lot of letters and scrolls have wax seals.

I think they can manage.

May I please be let back into the writer’s group? As you said, you don’t like banning people, and I’ve more than learned my lesson.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10