Starry Eyed Reviews 69 members · 81 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

Alright, it’s time for another review…

A Party For...Divorce? by lord_steak

Anyone or anything who knows of Pinkie Pie cannot think of a better party planner. The super duper party pony has planned, held, and participated in parties of just about any kind or occasion that anyone could think of.
So when Golden Harvest wants a party because she's getting divorced from a stallion she constantly argues with, she knows exactly who to turn to. But Pinkie doesn't think a divorce is a reason to party at all. She doesn't see the end of a nightmare; she sees the death of true love. Can Pinkie get past her own objections and make the party happen, or will there be lasting bitter feelings from the carrot farmer toward the party planner as well?

Ok, yeah… Some divorices aren’t fun, but to others they are an initial release from certain restrictions their spouse put them under. To which, after personally witnessing many break-ups and divorces myself, I can assume there are a bunch of people out there who feel much happier after they have gotten out of an abusive, unfair, or unjustifiable relationship. To which, some of them actually do go out and party… have a little bit of fun in their lives since they could finally do that again without the need for their spouse to approve of such freedom.

Anyways, as for the synopsis, it definitely introduces an interesting concept for a story while having me raise a few questions over my concern for the subject. Certainly, it says that it’s a comedy fic, but will it actually result towards Pinkie being a little bit insensitive towards what Golden Harvest went through? Or will she respect that aspect and maybe give into Golden’s demand? And what about “her own objections?” What kind of experience has she gone through to justify her side of the issue?

I don’t know, but I am very curious to now find out how this story plays out.

Upon my first impression of this story, I want to quickly thank the writer for having a good sense of grammar at the very least. It’s one of the first errors I immediately look for when I open up a story. However, it doesn’t seem to be an apparent issue for this fic. The only nit-picking aspect I will address is this; some of the paragraphs are just a tad bit too long for my own taste. It wouldn’t hurt to just split some of them up into their own paragraphs so I am not bogged down by the amount of words contained within a single body. That’s it really… besides a few small errors here-and-there that a proofreader can easily fix.

Now, let's talk about the story.

Right off the bat, Pinkie Pie character definitely, always will, stands out to me as being completely bubbly, happy, and as optimistic as a good Pinkie should be. To which, the writer does a good job with handling this cartoon powerhouse of a character without resorting to her usual comedic tropes. It can quickly run her, and the story, into another stale, boring clone of what the writer thinks about when they see Pinkie Pie. Instead, they depict her as more of that one cute girl you see in a restaurant that is always happy to serve you and give you great customer service. To which, it’s kinda refreshing to see that side of Pinkie. The hard working, dessert cook Pinkie.

Then there is Golden Harvest & Rocky Top, to which I will admit their characters within this story were spot on as well. They managed to fit their roles very well with Golden being the abused ex-wife and Rocky being the supporter for Golden Harvest. To which, I can really assume it was a great idea that Rocky came up with the idea for Golden, in a way to help her move on from the relationship. It’s good way, imo, to sorta close that chapter in her life and create a sort of optimistic view point for the future of Golden Harvest while not wreaking her image of love. To which, that idea brings a smile to my face.

While I will not ruin the surprising twist within the story, I will admit that it played very well into the aspect of what Pinkie Pie would do and how things would play out. I certainly caught me pleasantly off guard, to which it was also freshly reassuring towards the true nature of how Pinkie Pie can really be. Also, it was a mad, yet genius idea within itself… and how it helped lead up to and through the climax of the story.

The discussion between Pinkie Pie and Carrot Top was also well done, due to how reliable the dialogue from Carrot was. I can see how meticulous the wording was placed within the narrative, thus creating the right amounts of emotion need to be conveyed between the two characters. Also, the concept of how hard a divorce was to a single pony was dearly respected like it should be… and Carrot certainly reinforced that aspect with her dialogue.

Also, I loved how careful Pinkie Pie was with her wording as well. She wanted what was best, while remaining sympathetic and caring for what Carrot had to say… yet, while remain in character as well. To which, that is a very rare sight to see within fimfiction. Bravo writer, bravo.

So what do I think overall? It’s a great, well written story without any trace of OOC moments. The characters were well established, the plot was solid, and all other aspects to the story were within check. I seriously don’t have any major complaints with the story and therefore this is getting a fantastic and highest grade for this review forum so far.

Score: 96/100
TL;DR: This a well handled divorce story with certain elements that are very pleasing for the reader. It's a definate must for those who love character driven stories.

P.S: The erotic sidestory was amazing as well. I can’t recall how many times I laughed out loud. :rainbowlaugh:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1