History Bronies 145 members · 14 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

This is just a story idea I have that I wanted to share.

By 1536, most of the New World had been conquered by the foreigners across the sea known as the Conquistadors. The fearsome Aztecs have fallen to Cortes and the mighty Inca Empire has been brought to heel by Pizarro. Out of the desert to the far North of New Spain, four Spanish men are found by slave catchers. Dehydrated, starving, and delusional, they are brought back to Mexico City to tell what happened. It is found the men came from the Nevarez Expedition, an expedition that had set out eight years before from Hispaniola to explore the unknown lands to the North. They tell of their eight year odyssey though the lands to the North and the hardships they had to face but what catches people’s ears is when they tell that the natives told them that to the northwest, a great kingdom lays beyond the desert through a pass in the mountains. This kingdom, which they called “Cibola”, is said to be home to “áthasaia”, demons, who wield great magic and power as well as wealth, and all those who attempt to wander into their domain never return.

Many throw off this story as just superstition or a child’s story but one man sees an opportunity. Francisco de Coronado, the Governor of New Galicia at the boarder of New Spain, sees the chance to gain glory. Cortes and Pizarro gained fame for their exploits of conquering these kingdoms of the New World, this was just another opportunity to gain such glory as well. For the next four years he collects funding and men for an expedition across the desert, throwing all his fortune into the endeavor.

On February 23, 1540, Coronado with 400 European men-at-arms of various nationalities (thought mostly Spanish), 2,000 Mexica Indian allies, four Franciscan monks, a handful of slaves and hundreds of camp followers head out into the desert to seek the land of “Cibola”. Unbeknownst to them, beyond the desert through a pass in the mountains lays a gateway to the enchanted land of Equestria ruled by the two sisters Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. The princesses and the ponies have long known of a mysterious pass in the mountains that lay within their borders where no pony ever returned from and monsters said lived beyond. They had long made it forbidden to travel there, establishing a small outpost to make sure no pony came close. What they never expected was anything to come through from the other side.

Two different entities will encounter each other for the first time. On one side the mighty Spanish Empire represented by Coronado who seeks gold, glory, and land. With backing from the Viceroy of New Spain and numerous conquistadors and natives at his disposal he seeks to become the next Cortes. On the other is the Kingdom of Equestria lead by the sisters and the Elements of Harmony who will defend their home from all who seek to do harm. Will the Equestrians be able to defeat this new enemy as they have done in the past or will Equestria fall to the cries of “Santiago y en ellos!!!”

Could definitely work, if it's given the works.

If I didn't have my current project to work on, I'd do this. Good luck on finding someone.

Very interesting. The Spanish have muskets, a few cannons, and perhaps shock, the Equestrians have magic and weather control and they are defending their homes.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4