• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3
OkemosBrony
Group Admin

Title: Leave All The Lights On by FamousLastWords
Amount Read: All
Verdict: Reject (4/10)
Reason:

I’m alive!

Anyways, review time. This story is a short, quick romance about two of the most commonly-shipped characters on the show, and the short version of this review is simple: it doesn’t really do much that I feel hasn’t been done before.

The plot of the story is one we’ve seen a lot of, where the man has to go off to some faraway land for an indeterminate amount of time, forcing his fiancée to stay behind and wait for him. As I said earlier, though, there isn’t really much new that’s done with that concept. Spike has to go to the dragon lands, and Rarity says she’ll leave lights on for him to show that she’s still waiting for him. I thought there might be a bit of uncomfortable reality thrown in there when he comes back and there isn’t a light on for him, but it goes back into the cliché story of her having waited for him. It might have been a more interesting ending if she gradually drifted apart from him and found somebody new in her life, but she I guess just got tired of leaving the lantern on for him.

Next, the concept itself I struggled with. Maybe being a military brat has given me some unrealistic expectations of how much people can wait, but the few weeks Spike is planning to be gone doesn’t seem at all like that much time to be away from each other. Hell, my dad was in Seoul for 2 years while my mom was stateside; it sucks to be away from each other, but it makes her come off as clingy because she just can’t fathom being away from him for any length of time. On that, she seems almost self-centered when she’s talking to him about it. She’s shown throughout the series to truly have the best interests of those she cares about at heart, and especially with Spike, is very supportive. In this, she seems almost insulted that Princess Celestia is wanting him to go away for a few weeks, even though it’s to negotiate on behalf of Equestria. Sure Rarity can be pretty greedy in some cases, but this goes beyond what we normally see out of her.

All in all, I think this story fell flat. The plot is one we’ve seen before and does nothing new with it, while the premise just seems a little unbelievable and overly dramaticized. For those reasons, it is a reject.

-SBRS
Group Contributor

I'm alive!

Arguable.

Then again, the same could be said for me.

OkemosBrony
Group Admin

Well if I’m not alive, then that necromancer owes me a refund.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3