Logic Prevails 48 members · 10 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

" the ship that made the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs"
.... hrmmm can we logic this into a reasonable statement?

I think we can!

Firstly we get a few things up and running. In star wars we hear a LOT of the following: hyperdrive and lightspeed

Keep in mind there is even a point where Hon Solo says "she makes it PAST lightspeed" keep this in mind for later.

I looked it up and a parsec is something like four lightyears in distance, NOT a measurement of time but a literal measurement of distance.

However in the expanded universe "hyperspace routes" are mentioned. Not only are they mentioned but bear reference that sometimes being dangerous even being able to collapse upon itself, this in turn suggests that the hyperspace route is not technically something the ship has anything to do with but instead it's something that is simply a specific path but can be chosen to be traveled
Now the theory is that the ships that can only go the speed of light or very slightly faster are capable of traversing the entire galaxy buy actual naturally forming warp anomalies called hyperspace routes. Something along the lines of a naturally occurring wormhole that bends and warps space hidden just beneath real space. So technically a Star Wars hyperdrive is simply a device that opens up subspace to access a naturally occurring Warp wormhole then traveling through that wormhole at or beyond the speed of light
This properly explains how someone can go the speed of light and still manage to get all the way across the galaxy in the span of a few days, a trip that would otherwise take up to several thousand years.
So that how do we equivalate 12 parsecs into some sort of record more specifically how do we equivalate and measurements of distance into something that could be considered impressive under these specific circumstances?

So far the only thing I can imagine is that the Millennium Falcon contains a Subspace generator that tears open space at an even wider or more efficient rate so that the distance warping is increased where other people would have traveled 20 parsecs the Millennium Falcon would have traveled only 12.
Your thoughts?

Please excuse the typos and such, I'm on my cell phone

Is the logic sound?
I know that it's not mlp but it's a logic debate I have long since been fighting in my own head

5426900 The logic seems to hold, though there's a simpler explanation:
It's well within the realm of possibility that, in a universe where the Force is real and energy can take on solid form (shield, blaster shot, lightsaber blade, etc.), the word "parsec" simply has a different meaning and is a measurement of time.

Also, Han's comment of "She'll make point five past light speed" always indicated to me a speed of 1.5 times the speed of light.

5426996 valid point, and thanks for the more clear quote, I had forgotten it.
Though if the Subspace hyperdrive lanes are not the answer then even the 1.5 lightspeed would still result in around a thousand year trip from one sector of the galaxy to the next.

But yes a simple and acceptable answer could be that the word "parsec" is not used in its literal earth definition but as a measurement of time. Like, "it took me this long to go one parsec, that is about average right? Ok... so that one there sounds like a four parsec journey!"

This was explained in the "Han Solo Trilogy" by A.C. Crispin. The Kessel Run, a smugglers' route, requires ships to maneuver around a cluster of black holes that distort time and space, called "The Maw." Most take a longer, safer route of about 18 parsecs, but Solo flew closer to the Maw than anyone had before, shortening the overall distance he traveled and making it in record time.

5427036 now THAT is a good explination, thank you
Though still my theory on star wars hyperspace is solid methinks

I highly recommend the novels, they give Han an interesting, sympathetic and plausible backstory, define his relationship with Chewbacca, and even give Jabba some character development.

5427050 Oh I know, trust me I know. You are talking to the guy who actually petitioned that Disney fuck itself and declare expanded universe canon and the new movies some sort of "what if?" Spinoff.
Still haven't heard back from them TwT
But yeah, I refuse to watch the movies, even the original trilogy. Though that is the least heretical of the existing movies.

But no, for me it's ONLY books. Fuq that other crap.

Your theory sounds like hyperlane engines from Stellaris. My only problem is that something with mass can't travel faster than light. Smart people said it's impossible and I'm inclined to believe them.

However, it's possible that your ship travels at sub-light speed while the space around it is bent in such a way that it pushes the ship forward faster than light. This is how Alcubierre drive works.

Other than that, I think it's possible to compare the same journey by distance traveled because of space not being flat.

5431084 that is how warp theoretically works as well, However, it is not impossible to break the speed of light, Its just improbable and really bloody hard to do. A LOT of people misunderstand things that Einstein did and taught. One of his more interesting quotes which science likes to forget is.

"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong"

Science has nothing to do with what is "proven" to be, Anything and everything is possible. We just cannot yet see it as it is, and even when we can we will be blinded again by our own limitations to understand whatever is next

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11