The Authors' Cafe 226 members · 1,759 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

I ran this thread in another group and got a lot of interesting answers.

As far as writing goes, there are conventions generally agreed upon when it comes to acceptable practice.

What are some stylistic or format related things you practice or like/don't dislike seeing in writing? What are the things editors or stylistic critics will shaft you for, but you're okay with? Or share something else.

Have fun.

A few things of mine are...

-"Lengthy exposition". I get called out on this by some. If it leads somewhere or moves a story along, why not? I understand avoiding the description of some boring thing you won't ever have to acknowledge again, but most stories are made up of major events with a lot of jumping around in between.

-A lack of character interaction, with large sections relating to a character relating events and perceptions in the third-person point of view. Related to exposition, describing something may save a lot of boring banter.

-Really cerebral stuff. I don't encounter it much around here, though. Read Kantor's Andersonville or Trumbo's Johnny Got His Gun and you'll see a mess of thoughts and actions, almost indistinguishable from one another.

-"..." Ellipses. I love using ellipses. I saves on having to otherwise acknowledge a character pondering or trailing on and off in their speaking. I've been accused of using it to the degree it's distracting or off-putting. Using "..." also indicates a character's non-verbal response.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1