Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

For those who haven’t watched Season 2 of The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder, be warned because I am going into spoiler territory.

In Season 2, Episode 9 titled, Bebe, the episode is centered around The Proud Family’s baby boy, Bebe. When Penny brings the twins home, BeBe does the same thing again, much to Oscar and Trudy's shock and concern. Dr. Payne believes that something is off with BeBe and sends them to Dr. Lord (voiced by Holly Robinson Pete) who tells them that BeBe is on the Autism Spectrum. She offers to have him attend her school, but Oscar refuses on the grounds that he believes nothing is wrong with him. Penny opens up to Dr. Lord as she believes that this will bounce back on her and stress her out, to which she agrees. Oscar is forced to take the twins to work with him where he fails the inspection and has his factory shut down for good. He finally relents in letting BeBe go to the special school and accepts that his son is different.

Here are some videos that shows Bebe is in the Autism Spectrum.

Amereep
Group Contributor

Well, okay, I can agree with her in areas about the episode.

I saw the episode a few weeks ago and I remember it not leaving a strong impact on me. I did enjoy Dr. Payne's tests as I remember having a tolerance to pain, but they could've really used some ideas (giving Bebe a haircut would've been a great reveal that he has trouble at making eye contact or having his twin sister there with him to show the difference of what an average tot and an autistic one).

But, to be fair, they're only a 22-minute show that needs to cover a lot of areas for something that takes time to discover, explained, then adjusted to for the show to end on a heartwarming moment. Though I don't know how Oscar losing his factory (and rights) to produce a product that he uses to make a living off of is considered to be heartwarming. Thank God Trudy has a decent job.

NicLove
Group Admin

Arthur did !
p.s. his name is Carl

Autism Sins

Amereep
Group Contributor

My country isn't allowing Youtube to show Carl's introduction episode, but I recall them heavily focusing on Carl's autism to the point where it was the episode.

The thing that makes Bebe's case different from Carl's is that he's a preestablished character that goes all the way back to the first episode who's about 1 or 2 with close ties to others that have no reason to speculate (or even have knowledge of) autism. Carl at the time was a new character nearing his first decade with close people around him that're familiar on the subject to easily explain the issue to the audience.

I'm sure they could've danced around this issue by having Penny say that she was taught about autism at school earlier that day and notices the signs present in her brother by observing him closely during one babysitting. That would've been the perfect excuse to compare Bebe and Cece to the discovery of autism, but like I said, they really needed some ideas on how to go about this episode as it was very cartoony for an episode that was attempting to be serious.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5