Pagans of Equestria 20 members · 55 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

If you spend enough time around Christians the theme of God's wrath will come up. This is also mentioned by our Pagan forebears. My issue is I do not believe the Gods can be angry as the Gods are perfect in the Platonic sense and anger is an imperfection which arises from fear. I am angry when I am threatened and therefore become afraid. The Gods can not be threatened. I could no more injure Lady Brigid or Lord Lugh than I could extinguish the sun. I do believe the Gods are just and perhaps there is another realm where those who have been evil are punished, but this is to maintain justice and order not an expression of anger. In addition, Christians go too far when they say all sins are punished the same way (eternal damnation). How could a finite being commit a sin so great it would need to be punished eternally?

The way I see it, the Gods are so far beyond us, we might as well be infants-if not ants. Not a perfect analogy, but close. The Gods are "adults", perfect and limitless beings of infinite wisdom, justice and compassion. Anger and jealousy are for us lesser beings who must contend with a knowledge of our limitations.

Do you ever see injustice and get angry, even if the injustice is no threat to you?

Certainly, but I am human.

A Vengeful God is not a God at all, just a powerful being who is just as petty as the rest of us.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5