Comments ( 44 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 44
Well Geboren
Group Admin

"Races, Nations and Cultures of Equus. By ms, surehoof trekker."

This one is like the last but covers the whole world, so please take note of the races and give the history and cultures if you please. Also please take note to read Hatters "The World of Equus - A Compendium" thread.

"The buffalo's and the dear are of north Equestria, lamas are in south Equestria The three tribes are of Europe, Spain, England and France. The dragons are in Australia, the yaks in the Himalayas. The minutores are of Rome,(before it expanded and then fell) and the griffons hold the mother land.;) monkeys in india, and lemurs in Madagascar with other equines living on the in between. penguin state on Antarctica. the reindeer, native to the frozen north. Centaurs in Gerace. gargoyles, changelings in the bad lands. seaponies in the sea."

Right, so have fun, just don't move away from the topic at hoof on this thread; thanks.

S.W.B.

Sunglasses Indoors
Group Admin

I had this idea while I was taking a shower, but have you ever heard of the Punic Wars? In short, it was a series of wars between ancient Rome and Carthage. I was thinking of having something like that, but calling it "The Ponic Wars".

There's a lot of empty space here that could get filled, insofar as characters go. Scipio Africanus, Quintius Fabius Maximus (Of "Fabian Strategy" fame), and you couldn't have a second Punic War without Hannibal.

The buffalo's and the dear are of north Equestria, lamas are in south Equestria The three tribes are of Europe, Spain, England and France. The dragons are in Australia, the yaks in the Himalayas. The minutores are of Rome,(before it expanded and then fell) and the griffons hold the mother land.;) monkeys in india, and lemurs in Madagascar with other equines living on the in between. penguin state on Antarctica. the reindeer, native to the frozen north. Centaurs in Gerace. gargoyles, changelings in the bad lands. seaponies in the sea.

Is that just where they started, or is that where they're at when the story starts? People move around a lot; they trade, they wage war, they get captured and forced into slavery, they make friends and enemies and settle down with those in mind.

Well Geboren
Group Admin

I read the summery on the punic wars, it sounds like something that happened right before the tail of hearths warming eve.

Also, if you look back at what I said about after discords defeat on your thread, this and several others like it where made and first giving to the sisters and then the public. So the's books are like a window to over 1115 years before Luna's return, so there old and enchanted to last. they will also give us a means in which to learn from, I'd rather we not need to lie about why some of us can't fly or use magic.

S.W.B.

Ponyess
Group Admin

5180831 From the show, the only place you see the Buffallo is Appalloosa. While they were having a stampeed through and to where?
There is a refference to the Cow having a stampeed that were originally taking them through Ponyville, but were talked out of it, due to not having a reason to go through. We later see one in the village for some reason.
The Yak was placed north of the Empire.
Where the Deer lives is only seen in the commics as far as I know.
There are Diamond Dogs on trotting distance from Ponyville, while they seems to live mainly under ground.
Where does the Dragons live, in Equestria? While they apparently have a state of their own, and a settlement in Manehattan according to the Comics.
The only Goat seen were traveling with the Minotaur, Iron Will. Question is, where do their respective peoples live?
5187493 There is a refference of a war that could fit the refference, between the Buffallo and the settlers of Appaloosa?
5189773 Could you give a few refferences to these books, and where one may find them?

Well Geboren
Group Admin

I'm not going off of the cannon map, no. Instead I'm using where they are in are world, in order to reference where they are in that one.
We are making said book's as we speak, and as I said before on my blog;

All books have there flaws, and there secrets.

When we are done with the world building, all the book's will be done; or at least the old one's in the castle.

S.W.B.

Ponyess
Group Admin

5197975 I guess that explains the confusion, one is stating in Metric while the other is in Emperial measurments.

Ah, okay. So when the last of the books is written, we can get to start working on the actual Adventure.

Well Geboren
Group Admin

Yes and yes:ajsmug:

S.W.B.

Sunglasses Indoors
Group Admin

The Punic wars took place between the Romans and the Carthaginians, and I believe Zulu horsemen also took part. This took place in the Mediterranean, some two-thousand-plus years ago. Having it take place in a more modern period, in a different location, between two people not even comparable to the Romans and Carthaginians, would destroy the whole point of including in the lore. It'd be like watching Space Jam, but if you replaced Jordan with Bill Nye, the Looneytunes with Batman Villains, and had them compete in fly fishing; it's not even close to being the same movie.

If it's not in the canon, what's stopping us from including it in our canon anyway? We've already established which species have what cultures and where they're at, and Rome was one of them. I believe the Minotaurs are supposed to be Roman. All you'd have to really do is say that Carthage was ponies, and you'd have the Ponic wars. It even fits phonetically: Carthage was referred to as "Phoenicia" in ancient Rome, and if something was Phoenician-made, it was Phoenic. Over time, it got shortened to Punic. Punic wars. (Except they're Ponic wars, because name puns are cool.) :rainbowdetermined2:

Well Geboren
Group Admin

O'k, so after Discord's defeat, maybe just before or after the NMM incident; sounds good to me.:twilightsmile: (Let's take this to your compendium thread to talk about.)

S.W.B.

Ponyess
Group Admin

5202036 It all depend in where you put the emphasis here.
If it is the literal war between Rom and Cartige?
Or is it the type of war you are looking for? Did not Rome destroy that City in the end?

The Puns would be more or less Canon. We can see it in the names of certain Cities, for starters.
Yes, Puns are cool. Isn't this part of the ettraction?
Even if the well written story and adorable Ponies is what draw most of us in, the puns alone would draw a small crowd.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5180831 How the hell did I miss this thread?

Gryphons are Russia, Siberia and Eastern Europe.

Well Geboren
Group Admin

I don't know, you been checking your feed.:pinkiesmile: And also, yes to all three, you think you can give some more info on them hear?

S.W.B.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5212492 I already done some of that with the subclasses of gryphons. But I try to get out some more stuff.

The only purely gryphon country is (duh) Gryffonia, which is essencially Russia. But they still posses Gryphonstone, what is the counterpart of our Alaska, that is governing all gryffons in Equestria. On the other end there are the gryffic states (Eastern Europe) which are countries with mixxed Pony-Gryphon population, with the gryphon procentage dropping the farther it is from Gryphonnia. The closest to gryphonnia is Gryffkrain where the gryffon procentage is abaut 99,7% while the furthest is Poneland with 10,2% of gryphons. But it doesn't mean the gryffons live only in Gryffonia or some of the States, as for example there is a gryphon minority of 2,4% in Germane but the country itself is culturarily and politicly pony.

Well Geboren
Group Admin

Vary good, any thing on Griffin culture you may have to post with it?

S.W.B.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5212704 Parael to Slavic ones from 350 ago *cough* Polish dominance on the west *cough*, the States have an alicorn as a religious ruler - Polana, the halfgryffin alicorn and they practice magic that doesn't have corrupting effects on their minds.

Well Geboren
Group Admin

Hm, fascinating, keep it going. Although you'l have to work on your back story for Polana, like how did she ascend or was she a true borne?

S.W.B.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5213591 True born but she's half griffon, so she has frontclaws and beak-like tusks.

Sunglasses Indoors
Group Admin

It'd be between this universe's Rome and Carthage, wherever they are and whatever they're populated with. Anything else just wouldn't be the same.

Well Geboren
Group Admin

Ah, so she's like a unicorn with griffin wing's?

S.W.B.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5214077 A bit, yes. She also has gryffin claws, a gryffin tail and yellow tusks at the side of her face that are in fact beaks.

Well Geboren
Group Admin

Well I'd like to see a picture of this, when you think you can have one done?

S.W.B.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5214147 Hmm... I'll try to gather up some theory on saturday. Because the exams.

Ponyess
Group Admin

5213984 Two rivaling Empires, and One destroying the other in the end. Is there more you need for it to work for you?
5214086 Facinating, what people can do, when they put their minds to it.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5214464 They can do evrything. I speak from experience.

Well Geboren
Group Admin

You know what, Polana sounds like she was made by Discord while still in the womb, to be like he's over lord of the griffin's. Being with how mismatch she's looking to be in my head.

S.W.B.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5215554 She assended to alicornhood by a mix of Pony Synergy magic (friendship) with Gryphon magic weaved into it. She's technicly an alicorn hybryd (highbreed cuz Royal) and not in form of a hippogryphon. She was once a pony and when she was induced with gryphon magic during her assencion she could only evolve so much into a gryphon with her main body still beeing a pony. That's why she's like that.

But between you and me - she has all rights to be Discord's waifu...

Ponyess
Group Admin

5214534 Sounds scary ..

Sunglasses Indoors
Group Admin

That could describe every war in the history of forever. No, that doesn't work for me. It's like I said earlier. If you took Star Wars and replaced all the iconic locations and characters with people and places from B-roll Westerns, then it wouldn't be Star Wars anymore. You need the cultures, the essences of Rome and Carthage involved, or else it's just another war.

We've already established that "Rome" is populated by Minotaurs. "Carthage" could just be a pony civilization. Really, I didn't think I needed to explain it more than I already have. This shouldn't be the hardest part. :flutterrage:

One, two, three, in... One, two, three, out... One, two, three, in... One, two, three, out...

Sorry for losing my cool.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5216662 It doesn't have to be THAT scary. It can be tone down by beeing less direct.

Well Geboren
Group Admin

Hm, I like that idea, batter then being made by Discord.

But between you and me - she has all rights to be Discord's waifu...

:rainbowlaugh::rainbowkiss:Oh doggy, I totally ship that.:rainbowwild:

S.W.B.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5217314 Dislestia is not amused.

Well Geboren
Group Admin

Oh give me a break me laddie, I be only kidding with ya.:derpytongue2:

S.W.B.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5218062 Huh. It does remind me - Polana's celestial body is Mars and she's the Royal Sisters'es Cousin like the rest of the Old World alicorns. Her domain is ruin, fall and rot. It manifests in her magic having an autumn theme [mane made from fallen leaves.] and combat lore involves sabotaging the hell out of evryone. Like she sometimes can frezze someone and then heat him up with fire - it will end with the frozen person beeing brutally ripped apart by the temperature change... she simbolises death in it's unforgiving form... gonna have her blessing for sure...

Ponyess
Group Admin

5217164 If this scenario is to be used, post a thread where you can explain all the key elements. Sorry, this part is not my fields.
From what I have heard, Star Wars is based on a story from Japan, while it is unconfirmed and most likely widely reworked.
5217266 Maybe that is what makes it all the more scarry?
I could dream up a few things, and with just a little help it could have been realized.

Well Geboren
Group Admin

Hm, I like this, keep up the good work, Dragon.

S.W.B.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5218573 Use any help unless it's cocaine.

5219091 I'm trying to get a rought picture of her from photoedited Celestia but it doesn't really work well. And today I'm also going to throw a chapter at the au-au collaboration coment story and I don't have a clue how to read all that has been posted before. And all that before afternoon.

Ponyess
Group Admin

5219202 Any and all Cain is banned from my list, CO or otherwise.
While I guess I could ask Miss Pinkamena Diane Pie for some help?

Well Geboren
Group Admin

Keep it up man, and whats this au-au collaboration you talk of?

S.W.B.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5221112 Nothing, just a story written a commenter at a time and alternative to a bigger story.

Well Geboren
Group Admin

Send me a link please, I'd like to see it.

S.W.B.

Sunglasses Indoors
Group Admin

5218573 If I did that, I would probably just copy and paste the most relevant section of the Wikipedia article. Besides, it's already got a tentative pass from the boss-man, and he actually went out of his way to educate himself on the topic: moreso than you did, I presume. I'm not going to spoon-feed you information that's freely available, especially when your opinion is that you don't care, and that it isn't your problem.

At this point, I really wouldn't care if it was put into the canon or not, or even how. :ajbemused: My enthusiasm is drained. I still can't believe this happened over historical flavor-text, too. One in ten people, on average, know what the Punic wars were. It is, to them, just another historical event of some interest. Nothing more.

I think you missed the whole point of my analogy. I don't know whether I can simplify it any more than I already have while still conveying the same message. Things are comprised of parts. If you change those parts, or the properties of those parts, then the thing will inevitably change as a result.

Ponyess
Group Admin

5225447 Wiki-pedia is a good sourse of information as far as I know. It is his story, so he more than the rest of us need to know the background. The information isn't for me personally, just to establish a canon of the topic. I still do have an image of who and what Rome was, back in the day. Just that I have the impression that much of what we are taught of the situation may vary depending on what school we attended to.

When I write a story, where I need to know a specific fact about a certain topic, I commonly do dig up details to make the story accurate and interesting.

Maybe I did, but what was making me miss it? Was it the wrong style of painting, a bad painter or my ignorance?
Naming the parts, and a rough sketch of what they are may suffice on my part.

Sunglasses Indoors
Group Admin

To be fair, I didn't learn about the Punic wars in school, either. I heard of Hannibal from somewhere, but never bothered looking up where he came from, or what made him famous. The first in-depth look I got was from a series called Extra History, produced by the people behind Extra Credits. Here's the playlist, if you're interested.

Yeah, Wikipedia is a pretty good source, isn't it? I didn' t mean to sound rude or condescending, if that was your impression. I just wonder what teachers have against Wikipedia. The funny thing is that Wikipedia has sources for most of their stuff listed at the bottom of the page: so all you really need to do for school papers is to get Wikipedia's sources for your research.

It ain't being lazy: it's being efficient. :ajsmug:

Yeah, I can't fault you for doing research. Instead of yelling at you, I probably should've provided my sources. Eheheh... :twilightblush:

It might bother you that you missed my analogy, but I'm more concerned with whether you know it now. I'm not trying to sound condescending, again, but I'm going to try and hammer home the meaning with a sledgehammer this time.

Every event in history has three basic properties: when, where, and who. So, take the Revolutionary War. It was in the English colonies in America, during the 18th century, and the conflict's participants were the English and the colonists. When I say "Revolutionary War", you can immediately know what happened, when it happened, where it happened, and who took part. "Revolutionary War" is a placeholder for all that information - you don't need to explain it every time you want to reference it. The same can apply to movies, too. To re-use an earlier example, Star Wars takes place a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, and it's about overthrowing an authoritarian, fascist regime.

The point I was trying to make in my analogy is that, if you change those properties - the who, when, and where - you will inevitably change the event they're tied to. Small changes can be considered historical fiction, and they're not terribly intrusive to someone's understanding of the event. I.E. - World War II, but set in the modern day; or World War II, but the Axis won; or World War II, but if the U.S. were still a part of England. Small changes don't matter much, because you can...I guess ignore them? The small changes don't trip you up is what I mean.

Contrast this with your earlier proposition: the Punic wars occurring between Ponies and Buffalo, in continental Equestria, after the reign of Discord. It would be akin to changing Star Wars, such that it occurred last week in Manhattan, and it was a crime story about bringing a crooked cop to justice. Those are huge changes, and anybody that knows about the Punic Wars or Star Wars would notice them, and would probably get a little irate. If it isn't Star Wars, then don't put Star Wars on it.

I think I'm done. Thank you for not getting super defensive; your unexpected reaction gave me enough of a shock to make me reevaluate my approach, and I hope think it was for the better.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 44