Fluttershy's Harem 61 members · 28 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
TGM
Group Admin

I've thrown that word around a bit here, but basically a 'quality' story is something that does all the right things. A good plot, good characterization, good pacing, good grammar, all of the good things. I believe that someone who can take an overused concept, run with it, and make something truly amazing out of something no one else seems to be able to pin down just right can make a good 'quality' story.

However, I know that my definition of quality might not be the same as yours. So tell me, what makes a good 'quality' story for you?

Good characterization. Plot is secondary to me half the time. I don't mind stories that have FS evolve into something more independent and brave, but I love flawed characters that continuously struggle with their shortcomings. Personally, I really, really like writing "cowardly" characters trying to get out of their comfort zones. So many times people seem to think that just because Fluttershy is shy and feminine that she can't be the one to take the lead, but I think her motherly nature is rather proactive (and sometimes hides the spirit of an angry mama bear!) Plus, her battle against her own timid nature can be the stuff of some riveting conflict! That's what I aim for when I write her, anyway.

I'm not the best with words, nor am I the best person to talk to about quality (considering I'm a repeated offender of what this group stands for), but I think I should strive to become a better writer. This includes making a story interesting, similar to what you already said.

When I think quality, I think "memorable" and "unexpected". A quality story indeed should have good characterization, but what exactly? I think that a good character is one that can elicit a reaction in a person. If this character were to die or fall in love, would the author care? Would they be hated if they did an evil thing?

Good pacing is key to a quality story, but it's very hard to execute. For me, good pacing is a logical procession that makes sense. If a character does something that makes no sense, it kinda ruins the flow of the story.

As for grammar, I have a tool for people who are having problems with it. Grammarly. com is a great website. It's free and easy to use. Heck, I'm using right now as I type this comment!

Finally, the plot. Probably the most important part of any story. The plot needs to be the driving force of the entire story. Everything else should revolve around it. If the plot is simple, it usually makes for an easy to read story. These are usually good, but it still depends on the concept. A large plot of a multi-chapter story should be watched carefully. If it is aimless, it will detract from the story (Unless, of course, it's a slice of life).

Again, I am definitely not one to talk. So many times I've fallen folly to the very things I like to see in a story. Fluttershy is also one of my favorite characters, so I hate to do her an injustice. I hope that I will come to be a better writer!

TGM
Group Admin

I love reading good characterized fics. Alternate universes, the Equestria we know and love, whatever, if I can take a look back and think to myself 'yeah, this seems like something shy would do' then I consider it good. :yay:

It's good to see people who have written fics they aren't proud of in the past step up to the plate! I'll tell you first and foremost, though I'm not really one to talk, the best way to get better at writing and such is simply to write. Sit down and type some stuff out, write some stuff down, whatever. Practice makes perfect. :yay:

5127395 Are all stories in this group about Fluttershy?

TGM
Group Admin

They don't necessarily have to be about Fluttershy, but she has to be at least in a major role in the story, yes.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6