Filly Fantasy VI 279 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13
DrakeyC
Group Admin

Any future updates will be in the form of a .bps patch, just because giving you a full rom to download is kinda piracy.

The Read Me file with the download includes links and instructions on what programs you need to do apply the patch to a rom and how to do so.

And you are not hallucinating, there was an identical topic a couple hours ago. tl;dr technical difficulties arose, ensued, were overcome.

just because giving you a full rom to download is kinda piracy.

"Filly Fantasy VI" exists since 2016 and offering a rom for a modification of a commercial game has always been piracy. What happened that you worry about this now all of a sudden?

DrakeyC
Group Admin

Nothing in particular worries me about it, just became aware that I ought not to. I was intending to upload this to another site, and their policies made the point they do not allow full roms to be uploaded, only patches, because allowing roms to download is piracy. And it kinda clicked in my head "oh, right. I could get in trouble for that."

I see. The chance for that to happen is not really existent, though. It is true that "Final Fantasy VI" is legally owned by one of the biggest copyright nazis on the planet, but this game is so old that it likely won't matter to Square Enix what anyone does with it.

I am worried about something myself now, though. This won't mean you are taking the rom down from Mediafire, right? As far as I know, the rom is needed to play the game to begin with, so taking it down because of copyright concerns would mean that it's unavailable to new players who haven't found it yet.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

Future-proofing

Yes, players will need to find their own roms, but that is easy enough.

There might be a problem with that. Followed the instructions on the patch, and said that the patch is not intended for this rom, so you need to explain the actual file name in your instructions.

EDIT: Found the problem. If you are looking for the rom, look for version 1.1, not 1.0. The patch only works on the US version 1.1.

DrakeyC
Group Admin

Correct. I misidentified it as needing a "2.0" rom in the Read Me, this has been fixed.

I had a feeling about it. I know one site that has shrines for Anime/JRPG games, and he has just the 1.0 version. I had to check some of his favorite links to find a good site that has the 1.1 version.

Got the new set up figured out and handled. Was a bit of a hassle since I did still have the old, full game version.

What happens if you have what should be the right rom but it refuses to accept the patch for being "not intended for it" but everything says it should be? I have tried multiple roms from multiple downloads, but none of them accepted the patch

DrakeyC
Group Admin

Sorry but I don't know what to tell you there. It's a North American SNES 1.1 rom?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13