Brony Martial Artists 8 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11
Darkhanos
Group Admin

This is a question that I'm often faced with, and I'm curious to know everyone's answer: Should one train for versatility in multiple martial arts/hybrid martial arts, or mastery in a single art? Granted, there are are many styles that claim to train in multiple areas, but in my experience, most only touch on said areas instead of going in depth of them, i.e ground fighting, weapons and grappling.

For me, I find that I prefer training for versatility in multiple arts, and why I train in boxing, Muay Thai, Judo, and Pekiti-Tirsia Kali.

What are your thoughts?

Darkhanos
Group Admin

True, and I'm more for the self-defense aspect of martial arts. My goal is to be as adaptable as possible, because let's face it, there's always gonna be a situation where one is faced with something they haven't trained for.

Darkhanos
Group Admin

I'd like to believe they wouldn't, but that's a risk I'm not willing to take. But, at any rate, as martial artists, we know that fighting isn't the only option, and as such we should do what we can to avoid such situations. It just doesn't always pan out that way.

Darkhanos
Group Admin

Perhaps so, but I've always took the old adage 'Prepare for the worst, hope for the best," to heart.

Though I am curious, which styles would you use?

Darkhanos
Group Admin

Good mix, IMO. Hell, if that's that case, I wouldn't mind learning actual Greek Pankration. It's basically that mix, but it's combat oriented as opposed to sport oriented.

Darkhanos
Group Admin

Sure, rest well. :pinkiesmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11