Writing Renaissance 400 members · 1,968 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

I work as a Night Guard at a college, so I have some free time to kill on my shifts, so I've been watching a Youtube series from the Channel "Just Write"

The link to the playlist is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaWLiMKNuKMmlM3WzA5PhxJu0SWegglmH

Start with Episode 31 and make your way backwards (the video order is reversed, the Game of Thrones episode is the first published)

The series focuses on all the different aspects of good storytelling and gives you examples in today's best works of fiction. Stand out episodes (of the ones I've watched so far) include the Game of Thrones and the importance of Empathy for not just the protagonist, but antagonists as well (Seriously, we all love Jamie Lannister, despite him being a horrible person), and the Legend of Korra episode and its heavy emphasis on Big Ideas (the shows four seasons dealing with Equality, Freedom, Anarchy and Fascism, as well as portraying PTSD in an accurate, if stylized, manner, and I say that as someone who suffers from PTSD.), how to take those over-arching story threads and meld them into a solid conclusion, and the importance of your primary antagonists not being one-dimensional baddies, but to have something that the protagonists can learn from them, and how to put the big baddie down in a satisfying way with poetic justice.

6519475 I envy your job.

You say that, but you would change your mind the first time a 300 pound drunken man threatens to break your legs and you're just standing there, doing your job, telling him he's in violation of the Trespass to Premises act and he needs to leave or he'll be arrested. Or the first time you have to use the Naloxone kit you've been carrying for months, dreading ever having to use it, on an opioid overdose. Or holding the neck of someone who had fallen out of a second story balcony to prevent further traumatic spinal injury while EMS/FD arrive on site. Or being told by a victim of sexual assault that they don't want to call the police and being bound my policy set by the college to abide by their wishes.

For every 150 shifts of relative quiet, there's 1 or 2 of pure terror. It's not for everyone.

6519522 You have free time and adventure in your job. I still think it's a dream job.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4