Behind The Fic(s) 134 members · 357 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2

For now, I'll be focusing on the work I'm doing in an ongoing story, Hunter's Path.

I originally wanted to talk about my Card Trilogy, yet doing so could ruin the freedom of the reader's interpretation, so I'll leave it on its own for now.

Hunter's Path continues the story of one character from the Card Trilogy but does so in a way that separates what happens in the previous stories with this current one. Despite loving my stories, to move forward I'd need something that didn't cling to the past. It's a standalone story, and luckily for me, the character even has her reasons to change her name, offering greater separation.

One of the strengths of the story, for me as a writer, is the freedom I have with it. Hunter's Path is set in a time long before the fables of Hearth's Warming Eve, before the founding of unicorn and pegasi nations. Thus, no show characters (except for one, sort of) are present and the characters are free to evolve as it fits the plot.

Languages:
One thing that perplexed me was the presence of accents in the show. We see this with the griffon chef from Mystery Express, and again with Spice Up Your Life. The French and Indian accents, respectively, may be in English, are clearly different from how the main cast speak. As the comedian Trevor Noah once said, accents are simply someone speaking your language with the rules of their own. This is generally true, so what rules are these griffons and ponies using that gives them these accents.

Throughout Hunter's Path, Fiora encounters songs sung in "dialects" of the common tongue. These are languages inspired by Occitan, French, Irish (I think) and more. It is difficult constructing words similar in sound while maintaining originality by changing the meaning. Even harder is paying attention to the conjugation of verbs and other grammar rules--some of which, fortunately, can be ignored for the sake of poetry or music.

Example: S'ae mo stat'esair, gihla mar, is sung in a song, meaning "Sail my queen, my shining star." The original makes the comparison of a prince to the Caesar, referring to the Roman ruler. Stat'esair is similar in pronunciation to the Irish word used, but the meaning greatly changed. Stat'esair means queen, but is derived from the dialect's word for king, Stat'sair. It's clear how it remains a dialect of Equestria's common tongue (English) when literally translated to State Sire, or Father of the State. Esair is the feminine form of sair or sire, and thus turns king into queen by meaning Mother of the State.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2