I HATE Starlight Glimmer 143 members · 54 stories
Comments ( 67 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 67

Note: there are so many reasons to hate this unicorn that I can't say them all. I've recently wrote a post of Starlight's most annoying acts, now I'm going to cover why she's not a great character, and I honestly don't understand how such a character gets so much love other than being just another pretty face with some form of self loathing and the fact fact that she's basically Twilight Sparkle 1.0, and before I cover that. I would like to show three videos made by people with some valid criticisms of this wrongly beloved character and these points are in agreement with my thoughts on Starlight Glimmer.

Shady Doo rags, why Starlight Glimmer sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZyFnMhcMOk

His sequel video why Starlight Glimmer still sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZndFO5LG2S0

Lilly Peet, seventy times seven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yao7KAW9ICQ

Beware, because I have to sadly say some things everyone seems to hear being said too much, but I feel it's necessary to include them because I agree their valid reasons to hate her.

1. Her hypocrisy

Okay we get this confident pony with this philosophy, she supposedly believes in equality and holds on to the belief that she's actually doing good. (Many starlight Glimmer fans believe that her heart was in the right place, and that she represents justice but I disagree)
Why is Starlight's house separated from the rest of her citizens, why
is she constantly seen smirking and even smiling devilishly when she robs Twilight of her cutie Mark? Clearly enjoying every last second of her pain. Why is she bent on severing the friendships of Twilight and her friends if she is the so called element of justice? All these point to a deceptive,dastardly, egocentric and wicked pony, not one who represents righteousness and fairness! I consider this yet another case in which a villain is treated like they are actually the victim/good guy.

2. Her backstory

I lost a lot of friends, although mainly because like Starlight, they simply left and couldn't contact me, or because they found love and I was just thrown aside like a battered doll, but we all have lost a friend or so right? But none of us decided that we were going to practice enslavement, strip others of their free will and ultimately destroy life itself just because one friend left, in fact a person with that mentality has a serious mental illness! Starlight did all these dishonorable and despicable acts all because a friend (who got his cutie mark from SAVING her) went off to magic school and seemingly forgot all about her. Moondancer had a similar problem and it was worse, but we don't see her pulling off the same crap Starlight tried, a good reason why many people sympathize with her over Starlight. This makes Starlight one of the most scornfully pitiable characters in the entire show, if not all of fiction history.

3. Instant forgiveness

Every other antagonist got punished or had some bad karma thrown at them. I used antagonist and not villains because many fellow Starlight haters look mostly at the evildoers instead of the selfish jerks. Let's see,
Gilda, lost Rainbow Dash as a friend, Diamond Tiara gets humiliated and ultimately loses Silver Spoon as a friend, Lightning Dust, gets evicted from the wonderbolts, etc. Although Starlight gets some karma in her first run as an antagonist, she ultimately gets a slap on the wrist in her second episode when she has done arguably, the most monstrous acts in all of the show. She gets to be the Student (and most likely future 6th princess) of the princess of friendship! Yay!! Even the ponies from her old village suddenly forgive her without the slightest hint of suspicion when she returns, sure they aren't happy to see her but they suddenly forgive her?! Becoming the Student of a princess is like a really big honor/reward, how the hell does Starlight come to the closest to deserving that? Oh yeah because her magic is strong.

4. She's the creator's pet

They are really pushing her character to be liked and they really like really like her, they have her more powerful than Twilight and other unicorns (probably excluding Starswirl), they put her in everything even when she doesn't truly belong, they want her to be the next princess, they show her as easily befriending everyone, they have her constantly steal the spotlight, ugh. It's all like "Starlight Glimmer is the most amazing unicorn, she's very best pony, bow down to your future majesty. Honestly, many people responded by leaving the show.

5. Her less than admirable flaws/personality/ character

A character needs flaws to be interesting but Starlight's doesn't do her any justice

She constantly uses her magic to fix problems, even forcing it on Mac (because she can't befriend quiet ponies) , the princesses (because they can't get along) and the mane 5 (to dodge friendship lessons) (and wasn't she given a lesson on not using her magic for coercion and bad?)
Her anger is no good and she's obnoxious (of course not if she's going to destroy the planet because you ruined her philosophy) take all bottled up for example, is that healthy anger? Even in episodes in which she appears in, she's not interesting, like she has to be stapled to another character like Trixie just to look good and her personality is a worse version of Twilight's. She has no real defining quality other than, kites, or just being there.

6. Upstaging

I don't need to explain this one, other than other characters are made to look useless or bad just to make her look better.

7. She's ruining the show for me

I already feel the show is going downhill, and this horrible overrated character is a good reason.

As I said before I have never truly hated a mlp character, until Starlight.
Every time I see her, I moan in annoyance and become enraged whenever she makes a complete fool out of herself or others, I'm technically done with watching the show for the show's sake now.
You can't even avoid Starlight anywhere in fandom, ugh, it's hard.

Very good. :raritywink:

About "Twilight Sparkle 1.0". Does Trixie & Sunset Shimmer count?
Trixie - Twiligtt 1.0
Sunset - Twilight 1.5
Starlight - Twilight 2.0

6385911 This right here.

Thank you so much.

*Claps* Bravo! Bravo!

Well phrased, very nice. Just be careful. A lot of people like to try and invalidate an argument just because you bring Lily up, because that totally makes sense, right?

They're idiots.

I'd say she is twilight 0.5.

2.0 would imply some kind of improvement

Let's not forget Sunset did everything better (except the villain part).

Well
Trixie is very different from Twilight, like her complete opposite.

Sunset is similar but arguably more mature and patient, but I haven't really seen enough of Sunset to see what sets her apart from Twilight the most

Starlight's personality is a direct Clone of both current Twilight and past Twilight from season 1, but worst and not as interesting and she's obviously not a nerd, she's everything because the writers can't decide what to do with her.

Thank you! It makes total sense! (Sarcasm) The arguments these people like to bring up are usually half baked unfortunately.

Some people do say she's a much better character than Twilight,
I'm like "yeah and my butts screwed on my face."

She did, and she wasn't that good of a villain, she's better, much better as a hero.

The only problem with Sunset I have now is that we were never told why she rebelled against Celestia in the first place. I mean, there's The Fall of Sunset Shimmer but that's long since been rendered non-canon.

The arguments these people like to bring up are usually half baked unfortunately.

I might ask what you want from this group: an echo chamber, or a hub for discussion. With your permission, I'd like to take up the role of Devil's Advocate. (A title which, for this group, may come across as more literal than I intend.)

Very true. The tactic of finding the weakest point of an argument and trying to use it to invalidate the whole thing. It’s sad really.

Tbh, I’m genuinely curious. As long as it’s not the overused statement of her ‘being better now’.

I'm curious as well.

That's my problem too, and until Hasbro shows her reason in the show (if they ever consider it) I'll have to go by what the comic says.

Oh I actually don't want anything, just here to voice my opinions on things Starlight related, sorry. :twilightsheepish:

It is sad because it takes more than that, and the fact that certain people base their arguments based on emotion over reason. Like those who say Twilight Sparkle is evil because they hate her and like Sunset Shimmer (talking about youtuber monlimous)

Twilight, Evil? Heh, oh please. She might’ve developed into an annoying nag most of the time, but Evil she is not. Furthest I’d stretch it is Human!Sparkle seeming just a smidge sociopathic, But that’s it.

Very well. "I know I can't stop you, but I thought showing you this might change your mind." --Twilight Sparkle, S5 E26

If you're still interested, I could maybe try and find a way to show you two what I've been typing up.

At her worst Twilight is just an asshole who has a lot more power under her belt than she needs.

I heard a Rumor that starlight will be an alicorn just a rumor for now... I swear if the writers did this in the show I will not be watching.

Comment posted by ChibiLuna deleted Apr 6th, 2018

Sunset is way better than starlight.

While the writer that likes starlight wants to force everyone to love starlight -.-".

I can't say she isn't flawed but I wouldn't say she's an asshole at her worst, I say that title rightfully belongs to Starlight, especially shown in the episodes rock solid friendship, to change a changeling, all bottled up.

Eh. That's your opinion so I'll respect it.

I hope I don't get dislike when I post this.

I feel that it will definitely happen, we see the signs

1. Starlight's reformation

2. Starlight is a powerful unicorn (the show conveys that weak unicorns aren't princess material)

3. Starlight becomes the pupil of a princess, and that princess was once a unicorn under the apprenticeship of an alicorn princess before her

4. The writers seem to be obsessed with her and try to make her as likable as possible (so why not take that a step further by making her a princess)

5. She's Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer 1.0

Two pupils (in Sunset's case former pupil) who are similar, and Starlight is just another one of them.

For me personally, I have no reason not to believe that Starlight is the next heir which will severely piss me off because she doesn't deserve to be a princess, and that's the title Sunset Shimmer rightfully deserves.

I would hate to see that happen to, and I can just imagine all the cheers her simpleminded fans would throw at her. (Unless they decide to turn on her if that happens.)

*sigh* if that happens which the writer would want it to happen and ugh the fans I will rage. sunset deserves to be alicorn ! not starlight-.-" what does starlight accomplish? Nothing! her back story is awful just because she lost a friend -.-".

Totally

1. Good reformation

2. Good character development

3. Very likable personality, I would love a friend like Sunset

4. More interesting

5. She's even better designed imhp.

Starlight

1. Bad reformation

2. Very little character development, she's barely growing

3. Not very likable, like her cringy attitude and need to force magic on to others to get what she wants, she's something of a troublemaker as well, especially alongside Trixie.

4. Not really interesting, she doesn't do much but suck the enjoyment out of episodes and as Lily Peet pointed out, be the joker to a more interesting character.

And I'm saying, this in the next future princess of equestria, I will certainly lose faith in the show if it happens.

It's mainly Starlight fans that can't accept opinions that are disliking, I don't see them just yet.

Accept he's actually making her terrible by forcing her ironically

I agree and it's very frustrating, Starlight is doing so much damage anyway.
Her past is a good reason why she isn't princess material, it shows just how immature and inept she really is. It's like voting Hitler for president.

U better watch out cause if they see this post well... their gonna apeshit about it.

Yep that writer thinks it's gonna make the show more interesting with starlight.

I almost want them to do it, just so they can make a complete fool out of themselves, it brings me amusement when nonsensical jackasses lose their shit during arguments :rainbowlaugh: that's when they are most vulnerable.

XD well said and to have proof they are idiots alongside with the writer.

Shoot (Show me) :trixieshiftright:

I wish i would show it but I need to observe to have more information.

Comment posted by ChibiLuna deleted Apr 6th, 2018

Starlight isn't making the show more interesting, she's ruining the show, many people think the show's boring now because of Starlight. Starlight reminds me of Chloe from fairly odd parents too

What i mean is the writer that likes starlight thinks *the show is gonna be more interesting with starlight* which the writer can go **** itself! all from that writer the show is going downhill from season 5 to 8.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 67