MLP Counseling, Training, & Assistance 13 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

My partner is an amazing girl, she has an amazing talent in anything she puts her mind too, like sports or music. The trouble is is that she never goes anywhere with those talents, she is content to just do well in something and leave it there.
The biggest example is her musical talent. Ever since she was eight, she had an amazing ability with the Viola. She was so good, that at age fourteen her music teacher suggested that she take part in competitions, however she declined. Since then, I came to think that it was because of my father. He taught her how to play the Viola from the beginning, but passed away when she was thirteen. Just one year before she was asked to play competitively.
But as time went on, she developed new talents, like indoor shooting and educational excellence. However like with her skills with the Viola, she never went anywhere with those abilities. She declined to take part in an Olympic program for target shooting, and she is content with going to a moderately successful college when she could have easily gone to a top tier university. She enjoys shooting and playing music, so I can’t wrap my head around her not wanting to go after those talents. Its even got to the point where she is slowly not performing some of her talents anymore, like with the Viola, where she has only touched it twice in the past eleven months.
Whenever I approach her about it, she waves me off telling me to not worry about it. I don’t want her to not pursue her talents, but at the same time I feel bad for potentially pressuring her to use them when she might not want to. At the very least, I want her to continue enjoying those talents, and allowing me to partake in those interests with her. I want her to start playing the Viola again most of all, but she doesn’t seem interested. She seems so happy when she gets into her talents again, but rarely indulges in them anymore. Should I be worrying over this, or should I let her be?

Gamerguy1313
Group Admin

It definitely seems like there's something she's hiding and/or something is holding her back. This could be anything from just personal preference to something actually preventing her. In order to figure out if you should worry or not, you need to figure out what it is.

Is there any way you can get her to explain why she won't pursue or practice these interests? That may require you start off the conversation with assuring her that you're not pushing her to practice them, but instead, you just want to know why she's not doing it already.

4515992 Maybe. I should try to get her to explain why, I'm almost sure that the Viola is because of my father though. She's nearby, so I should be able to bring it up subtly in a conversation soon. I don't have a clue about the shooting or education though.

4515992 So I started getting hints that the problem might be me. The way she sounded made me feel as though, for the Viola at least, that she don't think I can handle hearing it so much. I can kinda get behind what she's saying, it does remind me of my father a lot, especially since she plays it just like he did. Do you think she's holding back because of me?

Gamerguy1313
Group Admin

It is possible that she's afraid it reminds you of your father. If that's the case and you're okay with that, try assuring her that it doesn't trouble you.

4516142 Well to be honest, it does bring back some really hard memories... But yes, I want to hear it again, even if I have to go through some pain listening to it. I'll be sure to tell her how I feel about it.

Gamerguy1313
Group Admin

Instead of letting it act as a memory of loss, use it as a way to remember when he was with you and the time you spent with him. Her music is just more proof that he'll always live on in your hearts.

4516183 That's what I try and tell myself, but its hard to push those thoughts away. Especially in the heat of the moment.

Gamerguy1313
Group Admin

Instead of trying to push them away, embrace them and channel them into something positive.

4516226 I think your right, Jake. I thought I had accepted it long ago, but I might need to reevaluate my feelings about it.

Gamerguy1313
Group Admin

Just don't force it. Healing takes time.

4515916 Well. I go through stages.
I'll honestly play my guitar six hours a day for a week straight.
and then I'll forget it exists for a while.
sometimes it gets boring.
sometimes, I am just too depressed to play guitar.
sometimes, I'd rather be hanging out with my friends or something.
I hope my explanation of my reasons for not playing what I love has helped.
I doubt it.
:derpytongue2:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12