N.E.R.D. 26 members · 54 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

Here's the thing. For an EQG/Doctor Who crossover, I intend focus on an EQG version of Nightmare Moon. Casting the villain is the easy part.

However, she's probably going to be shown as a reincarnation of a dark goddess, a la Sailor Moon, or an immortal human, a la Highlander, which means that she will be locked in the moon and released on millennium later. The question is, what year should she be locked in, and what year should she be released by? This means I need to pick a pair of dates that are precisely one thousand years apart. But which pair?

One idea is 71 AD - 1071 AD. The former year marks the tragic conclusion of a Roman effort of a Jewish Diaspora that lasted for months, when the Romans finally succeeded in driving the Jews away from the Levant, and coincides with a solar eclipse. Perhaps Luna was protesting the mistreatment of the Jews and other citizens of Rome. 1071 marks a period of civil strife and constant battles that bordered on civil war in France.

Another pair of dates could be 334-1334 AD, the former year being a year of a solar eclipse, and a date of numerous German revolts all over the Roman Empire, and the latter year is when the first Bubonic plague outbreak recorded took place.

Yet another pair of dates could be 346-1346. The former year coincides with a solar eclipse, and the latter year is when the Bubonic plague outbreaks in Eastern Europe became especially virulent.

Another is 569-1569. 569 coincides with a solar ecplise, and 1569 makes a period of serious religion-derived civil strife in France, and the coronation of Elizabeth the First, and the beginning of numerous otherthrow and assassination attempts on her.

Another idea is the pair of years 968-1968. 968 was the year of a solar eclipse, and a dark time for Anglo-Saxon and Celtic cultures because of the constant Viking attempts to supplant them. That year, a massive Viking seige was laid upon the isle of Britain, and it seemed that the Vikings would win for sure. However, two years later, they were met with sudden defeat that crushed their armies. Perhaps Nightmare Moon was leading them, but after getting chucked into the Moon, they had a harder time maintaining victories.

Do you like any of these, and do you have any suggestions of your own? Any major historical events? Any dates of famous solar eclipses? I'm down for anything!

Disavowed ASH
Group Contributor

4957509 Interesting.

Captain Lunar
Group Admin

4957509 334-1334 AD seems the most logical to me.

I actually learned the other day that eclipses happen on a regular basis, even total eclipses, meaning that if I'm to seek out a pair of dates, I shouldn't worry so much about the eclipse as much as it should be for the historical impact, so I should pick a pair of dates with that in mind instead.

Disavowed ASH
Group Contributor

I considered the Bubonic Plague, but that is just too evil even for Nightmare Moon..... Though I could see her getting the Germans worked up. But there is the issue of how to play that.

Since Eclipses happen so regularly, I think I'll abandon these proposed date ideas and instead of focus on a major historical event, I was thinking one related to Rome. Maybe the earlier stages of it's fall, or maybe the transition from a Republic to an Empire, or something else that would be hugely important to fate of Western Civilization.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6