OC Slamjam 61 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3

Even though it's going on 8 years since this contest happened, I still occasionally think about some of the OCs we all created. One of my favorites was Belligerent Sock's Evergreen, the forest ranger. I always liked how both Sock and the competing authors characterized her as a competent heroine who was also kind and helpful to every pony and creature she came across.

So imagine my surprise to find a picture of an OC who was surprisingly similar to the SlamJam ranger.

Art by Dandy

Interestingly, this OC's name is Sylvia Evergreen, but I doubt Sock's character inspired her. Partly because they are very physically different (Evergreen was described as being dressed like a Canadian Mountie and having a different cutie mark, and Sylvia is frequently drawn anthro more than as a pony), and also because the earliest illustration of Sylvia I could find was from 2021. Still, I thought it was fun to see something that reminded me of the SlamJam and its characters.

Wanderer D

I'm always saddened that I missed my chance to compete against Belligerent... I might've ended up losing, since he was such a strong contender, but I was really looking forward to that one.

Ah yes, the one I had no ideas for. Lost to by default in round three.

It's funny. I've written more stories with Redwood in the years since, but even all this time later, whenever I occasionally consider what I could've done for that round and Evergreen, I still kinda blank on it. I always told myself I'd just have to do better in the next Slamjam. But then, there never was a second one, since Obs left us.

Hey, 7790979, you're in charge of site contest announcements, right? What would it take to get the ball rolling on a hypothetical OC Slamjam 2?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3