Silver Verse 184 members · 40 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

This weekend saw the Cutie Mark Crusaders ascend into the first step of their true destiny. And it saw Silver Stars fall to the Grim Angel Bunny of Death. Luckily for Silver, David gave me permision a ways back to write Silververse stories. I generally don't, because I'm not a very good writer. I'm also not that great an artist (beyond completely random crack-art :pinkiecrazy:). I'm really good at inking, and editing. Speifically layout editing. I do all the adds for my company's catalog, and all the new graphics for their website. Luckily, the internet is a thing. So I can make a cheesy comic fairly easily. Thus I've arranged a.... not incredibly UNcomfortable place for Silver Stars to hang out untill all the Waifu's he stole figure out how to cast at least a "Minor Wish", because without a body I don't think a "Resurect Dead" will work. Might take a "Major Wish", or a trip to the lower planes....

Because Silver Stars went straight to hell....

For the record, I'm not really going to torment Silver in hell. The focus is on comedy. And sad comedy. And sometimes dark comedy. I find weird shit funny. But it's meant in fun. This madness will go on and get worse untill Divid resurects Silver Stars. Because we all know you're gonna do it. You gotta burn everything down before you can rise from the ashes. And before Silver can come back, you have to have a "World Without Silver Stars". And the a propper "Return of Silver Stars", possibly rising from the ranks of one or more pretenders.

This Posted both here, and as a blog at this here blog..

David Silver
Group Admin

Let your muse run wild! It's all I ever wanted for anyone.

Kiki Charles Steen
you are wright there has to be death for there to be life.
As painful as it will be burn Silver to the ground so that when he is found back in Equestria he can be the stallion / husband he is meant to be.

The comic is quite amusing, but that last panel on the second page is actually bringing up an interesting philosophical point: are we only as good as our worst deeds? Or, if we are to be judged, should we be judged for the overall impact we had on the world around us, taking both the good and the bad into account, without saying that any particular deed is so heinous (or glorious) that it outweighs everything else put together?

When discussing deeds that are particularly awful, it's tempting to say that doing something so horrible becomes the singular definition for who we are as a person, and nothing can ever change that. But comparing the whole of Silver's story to just the bits mentioned in this comic help to highlight that a person is more than just a catalogue of their worst moments...or at least, I think it does.

4774626 Very legitimate points to be sure. But then a fair chunk of Silvers soul is being held in a crystal on the prime material plane. Thus Silver was judged based on the parts of his life and soul that made it to the afterlife. I'll try and address that a bit further in future pages. Thanks for the feed-back. :pinkiecrazy:

4774673 You know, a gaming blog I really enjoy reading once theorized that - due to the physics (e.g. the cosmology and meteorology) of Equestria being so utterly impossible to reconcile with how a Material Plane world should function (even in a "normal" game world) - Equestria was actually in its own "pocket universe." I took that to mean that it was some sort of demi-plane (or otherwise isolated from the Material Plane per se).

That said, we don't know what "parts" of Silver are still in his heart crystal, even presuming that souls can be sub-divided at all. While they can get stronger or weaker (e.g. gaining levels or level drain), they're usually singular units that can't be broken down. (I'm presuming that you're looking at this from a gaming angle, given your use of the term "prime material plane").

4774703 Hmm, Demi-plane would make a certain amount of sense. I'm referencing everything from 1st addition AD&D, because it's the oldest gaming reference your likely to find and also (coincidentally) the only one I own. :scootangel: Well, I got a few Paladium books, but they just do NOT have a very organized multiverse. :twilightoops:
How "impossible" Equestria is largely depends on whether Celestia actually "raises the sun", or just controls planetary rotation. The latter simply involves a massive effort of telekinesis. Each sister takes one turn every day day rotating the planet around (which would mean there would be "twilight zones" (word play completely unintentional) at certain points that only briefly see night and day as the planet is rotated. Presumably these would be at sea between the major continents for everybody's convenience. Also makes a great place for Cthulu to hang out. If Celestia actually moves the sun itself, then all bets are off, because that's just not how planets and suns work. Ultimately that's beyond the scope of this comic, in any case, but that's my thoughts on it.
As far as splitting up souls.... well.... that seems to be the implication David made refering to the heart crystal. And my story premise falls apart pretty quickly if you can't do it.... so.... souls can be divided? Or maybe it's just keeping one part in Equestia, but it's still connected (silver-cord-astral-plane-style). Either way, I'm assuming the part of Silver that's in the crystal is the parts that grieving loved ones would hold onto. The Abyss is taking advantage of this. Okay now I'm gonna sit back and figure out what are the rules for holding a soul in two places at once. I'm thinking at this point that the astral-style connection makes more sense. Mechanics of it probably won't come up in the comic because you can only get so philosophical with three to six panels per page. :applejackunsure: On the other hand it IS a good thing to keep in mind. Thanks. Gave me things to think about.

4774812 You mentioned several interesting points that I wanted to respond to (this isn't me "fisking" your posts per se, since I don't necessarily disagree; rather, I just wanted to go over them separately):

Hmm, Demi-plane would make a certain amount of sense. I'm referencing everything from 1st addition AD&D, because it's the oldest gaming reference your likely to find and also (coincidentally) the only one I own. :scootangel:

Well, the oldest (tabletop) gaming reference you could find would technically be OD&D and its handful of supplements, since the first AD&D book didn't come out until 1977 (and that was the Monster Manual; the PHB and DMG came out, respectively, in 1978 and 1979, the latter year of which was also when the first Basic Set came out by Dr. J. Eric Holmes).

But that's just me showing off my full-frontal nerdity (nothing to do with the Aaron Williams comic of the same name). I personally tend to default somewhere between AD&D 2E (my favorite edition for flavor text) and 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder (my favorite edition for mechanics).

Well, I got a few Paladium books, but they just do NOT have a very organized multiverse. :twilightoops:

Indeed. Though I bought Pantheons of the Megaverse based on a review by a friend of mine, and (as he wrote about it,) found it to be a great example of exceptionally dynamic groups of gods that were very much involved in their worlds, rather than just sort of hanging back and being presented as "doing stuff, which will not be expounded upon." The closest that D&D ever had to that was the Faiths & Avatars trilogy of sourcebooks.

How "impossible" Equestria is largely depends on whether Celestia actually "raises the sun", or just controls planetary rotation. The latter simply involves a massive effort of telekinesis. Each sister takes one turn every day day rotating the planet around (which would mean there would be "twilight zones" (word play completely unintentional) at certain points that only briefly see night and day as the planet is rotated. Presumably these would be at sea between the major continents for everybody's convenience. Also makes a great place for Cthulu to hang out. If Celestia actually moves the sun itself, then all bets are off, because that's just not how planets and suns work. Ultimately that's beyond the scope of this comic, in any case, but that's my thoughts on it.

My educated guess on that is that Celestia is actually moving the sun itself, rather than managing her world's rotation. (In fact, I'm not at all certain that it's a safe bet that their world is round, given how many other major aspects of the world operate differently from ours.)

I came to that conclusion based on the fact that there have been several times when the path of the sun (and other celestial objects) was made exceptionally erratic - such as Discord's rapidly cycling from day to night and back again during Return of Harmony, or when Twilight wobbled the sun about unsteadily during Twilight's Kingdom - without any particular damage (or other impact) to the world as a whole that would have resulted from its rotation (and tilt) being so badly tampered with.

There's also Luna. We know that her moving the moon has to be her moving the actual, physical moon around; how else would she have created that eclipse that we saw in Twilight's flashback in Princess Twilight Sparkle? That's without getting into the fact that, even in our world, the moon has its own revolution around the Earth. Even if that world's moon worked the same as ours, in other words, then Luna has to be moving the moon in some regard. If we can presume that one sister is moving the actual celestial body around (and we know Celestia can do the same, since she moved the moon during Luna's banishment), then Occam's Razor would seem to suggest that this is the same for the sun also, particularly in light of the previous point.

As far as splitting up souls.... well.... that seems to be the implication David made refering to the heart crystal. And my story premise falls apart pretty quickly if you can't do it.... so.... souls can be divided? Or maybe it's just keeping one part in Equestia, but it's still connected (silver-cord-astral-plane-style).

That latter interpretation is how I looked at it. Even outside of D&D, the idea of sympathetic links is not an uncommon one for magic. Having a piece of a person's body, for example, doesn't necessarily mean you have a piece of their soul, but you still have a thaumaturgical "link" to the rest of them. That's how I see the heart crystal; even if it doesn't have any of Silver's magic within it (and it seems to, presumably replacing - or mixed with - Twilight's magic), then it still has a link to him simply from his wearing it and using it for so long.

I changed the name of my thread because obviously Silver is not gonna rest in piece. Also, since I'm posting Silver Stars Goes to Hell here. I told David this morning that I was gonna wait and post this after I finished page 4 tonight. But now that I'm home from work, I realize I ain't finishing no page 4 tonight. Too damn tired. I'll have page four tomorow night, for real-assed. So here's page 3. Hope you like it.

And for all bad things there must be an end.
I told ya I was gonna invade your world. It is and (I hope) will continue to be an honor to make stories with you David.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10