The Skeptics’ Guide to Equestria 60 members · 79 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3
Walabio
Group Admin

Most people who are poor are simply unlucky. Self-made rich people are lucky and have do things which help succeed (one can do everything right, but chance is a factor; so now one can still fail).

1stly, any things come down to chance:

Teacher:

> "I could give to the kid either an A- or a B+."

Some people have the self-defeating habit of not trying to be noticed. This reduces the chance of success.

Being born on LeapDay (the 29th of February) is an huge legup:

Teacher:

> "I could give to the kid either an A- or a B+. ¡Wait a minute! ¡This kid was born on LeapDay! This kid gets the A-."

Imagine live is a game where everyone gets a fair coin. One flips it whenever anything not under bones control happens. Being born on LeapDay is like having a biased coin coming up heads 51% of the time. Over the course of a lifetime, this can more than double one's earnings.

Obstetricians will induce labor for making certain that children are born on LeapDay, thus giving them an enormous advantage.

¿What if one's parents have the self-deafeating habit of not wanting to be noticed and want their children to be born on February 28th instead?

The greedy obstetricians, in violation of medical ethics, wordless take the money, as they do for sexually mutilating nontherapeutic the genitals of defenseless babies, and induce the labor on the 28th of February, thus screwing their patients out of more than half their future income. Ethically, they should refuse, explain to the parents that they would screw their child over for life for dissading them from going to a less ethical obstetrician, and offer to induce labor on LeapDay instead.

NachoTheBrony
Group Admin

If birth date points at the 29th, I would induce labour on the 28th, no questions asked.
I grew up with plenty minor inconveniences (including a few that are now classed as mild disabilities), plus a minor autism that I only got diagnosed in my 40's, plus enough adults saying "let boys be boys" about me being bullied. While I wouldn't want to be a helicopter parent either, I would want my kids to not have such an uphill battle as mine.

Walabio
Group Admin

You do get that in cases where the decision is not under your control and that it could go either way, the "¡Oh my! ¡we should give it to this here LeapDayBaby!" gives you a leg up on the competition. Such decisions are CoinFlips, but you have a biased coin with 2 obverses (heads). That could more than double your income over a lifetime. Just be certain to let the deciding party know that you are a LeapDayBaby because not doing so is like not using your double-headed coin.

> I would want my kids to not have such an uphill battle as mine."

For LeapDayBabies, life is a free ride. If the kid does not want an easy lucrative live, just claim to be born on the 1st of March.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3