The Skeptics’ Guide to Equestria 60 members · 79 stories
Comments ( 22 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 22
Walabio
Group Admin

"You must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool."
——
Professor Richard Feynman

As a skeptic, I know the importance of thinking logically. I also know that one should save for retirement and only go into debt for emergencies. I fell prey to the cognitive bias of being self-consistant:

A few years ago, my current girlfriend had her business hurt by the Pandemic. I offered to help and started to go into CreditCardDebt. When the debt hit a myriad dollars, I decided that this must end:

The rent on our home and her business were about the same. If we move into her business, and it continues to underperform, it would be about the same as closing the business and living in our home at-the-time. Her business needed a ShowerStall to be made habitable; so now, we figured at least a KiloU$D, probably 2KiloU$D, and maybe 3 KiloU$D. We decided to go for it.

We learned that we had to break concrete. That alone costs a myriad (10,000) dollars. At this point, we signed nothing and paid nothing. We could have closed the business anstead and kept living in our place. Unfortunately, we paid for the renovations instead:

By the time the dust literally settled, ¡we spent over 20 thousand dollars! ¡We tripled our debt to over 30 thousand dollars!

¿What went wrong?

We already mad the decision to move into her business. We accepted that we would have to spend money for the ShowerStall. When we learned that the work would cost a over a magnitude (to times), what we anticipated, we should have reconsidered, but we did not. We fell prey to the cognitive bias of self-consistancy; we decided already and stuck to our decision when things changed radically, even though, at that point, we signed no contract and spent no money.

This is the principle of the Socratic Method used by pushy peddlers getting people to a gree to my things by getting them to agree to other things 1stly.

¿Why do I write this mea culpa?

As a warning to thers to think logically and consider all major decisions carefully, and then to reconsider them, if things change. I also write this out of Epistemic Responsibility:

"It is wrong, always, and, everywhere for anyone, to believe anything upon insufficient evidence."
——
W. K. Clifford

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7933166 What helps me is to associate new information and changes to reality with the words that I sometimes speak aloud:

"New reality."

It's a trigger to reevaluate the foundations.

If you predict something, the moment it defies your expectations, it's time for the mantra and reevaluation.

Walabio
Group Admin

Or maybe, I can tell myself "This is fine." instead:

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7933187 If you do manage to get your job back (or get a different one), then it will be sort of fine. Over the next years, you'll slowly be digging your way out of the ditch you put yourself in.

Walabio
Group Admin

¿Did you ever wonder why so many Americans are TrumpTarded. Sociologists wondered that and studied TrumpTards. They found 2 characteristics:

• Living in the past.
  • Racism

The 1st group settled into their adult lives and stopped paying attention. The environment changed around them, but they did not notice until an oh-horseapples moment of realization. To them, "¡Make America Great Again!" means make things like they were at about age 30 when they got the hang of how to adult.

For the racist TrumpTards, "¡Make America Great Again!" is just a DogWhistle for "¡Make America White Again!".

These 2 are not mutually exclusive:

Let us suppose that one is a racist. One becomes independent at a score-years old. the Early 20s were hard because adulting is hard. Things got easier in the Mid@0s, ans one starts to figure this adulting thing out. In the la20s, one finally is good at adulting. At age 30, one stops paying attention. At twice that age, age 60, one realizes that one is dangerously out of step with the present world. Rather than trying to adapt to the changes, one lives in the past. Trump is the perfect candidate for racists living in the past.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7933240 Personally, I think most people vote for Trump because the alternative is even worse.

Walabio
Group Admin

⸘What the buck‽

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7933271 I used to be a devoted leftist. But the new left isn't what it used to be. Instead of freedom of speech, they promote censorship. I can't forgive them for that.

Walabio
Group Admin

Extremists, yes, but not generally. The right took up that claim but do not walk the walk:

DeSantis forbade the discussion of certain topics in schools in Florida. In Oklahoma, one cannot discuss the Movie Flowers of the Killers of the Flower moon or the TulsaRaceRiot because StateLaw forbids it.

The right started this hypocritical campaign because some misguided students in universities wanted to ban people from saying things like "nigger" and "faggot". Their hearts are in the right place, but their solution is a double-edge sword which can be used against the:

> "Never give to one's enemies weapons one's enemies can use against one."

The way to respond is through facts, reason, and ridicule. The TVShow "All in the Family" did a great job at this:

"All in the Family" is am American TVShow based on the British TVShow "Till Death do us Part", but the BBC recycled most of its videocapes holding the show. Archie Bunker is a typical Northern Racist.* His daughter marries a liberal. He says racist things, and his Son-In-Law quotes facts and gives reasoned arguments:

Archie:

"Negroes are dumb."

Michæl, his Son-In-Law:

"It is true that negroes, on average, score lower on IQTests than caucasians, but one must remember that our educational system discriminates against negros; thus, much, if not all, of the difference is illusory. That said, even if we accept the figures, according to the figures on FaceValue, the 2 groups mostly overlap:"

"In other words, over ⅓rd of negroes are, according to the biases IQTests themselves, are smarter than average caucasians and likewise over ⅓rd of caucasians are dumber than the average negro."

"All in the Family" is a great show.

* He believes that NorthWestern Europeans are the most intelligent people and that negroes should know their place. He believes that lynching is murder and that lynchers should be executed for murder. He believes that RaceRelations would be fine if it would not be for the extremists on both sides such as the murderous Klu Klux Klan and uppity Negroes.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7933333 Choosing between the Right and the Left is like choosing between Satan and the Devil. They're both wrong on many things.

Walabio
Group Admin

At least Trump makes the choice because he is a racist sexist corrupt wannabe FascistDictator who already tried to overthrow the government.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7933474 You're right, he is all that. But at the same time, the Right isn't the one who throws around 'hate speech' in every other sentence.

I'd rather vote for Tirek for president than compromise free speech in any way.

I want the old Left back. The one whose first priority was free speech.

Walabio
Group Admin

You fall for their propaganda:

The right go on about political correctness (the aforementioned misguided desire to force bigotted arseholes from expressing themselves), while banning the terribly named Critical RaceTheory* or any talk about sexuality. They are hypocrites. The laws are deliberately so broad that they censor free speech by design:

In Oklahoma, the law banning Critical RaceTheory in K-12 Education even though it was not taught in K-12, effectively, bans discussion about racial discrimination. This makes it illegal for SchoolChildren to learn about the TulsaRiots:

Tulsa is a city in Oklahoma. Oil was discovered nearby. This raced all boats including the NegroGhetto. NegroCommunity started to have a comfortable life. The racists reacted by killing as many negroes as possible and burning the community. ¡It was a Pogrom! The broad ban on Critical RaceTheory, which was not taught in K-12 anywhere in the country, makes it illegal for teachers in Tulsa to teach about the TulsaRaceRiot.

* Critical Theory is something taught in LawSchool. It is not taught to children anywhere in the country. Critical theory is the study about how how law effects certain groups. Critical RaceTheory is how laws such as red-lining (banks refusing to serve racial communities ) effects them. The name is bad because it does not say what it is; so now, it is easy to misrepresent. It would be better if it would be called "Legal BiasStudies" and this study particularly "Legal Racial BiasStudies".

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7933526 Critical Race Theory has been debunked many times.

The 'theory' assumes that all white people are racist, even if they fight for minorities.

Tulsa Riots belong in history class not some made-up fairy tale class.

We will defeat racism when race won't even be spoken about anymore. Critical Race theory does the exact opposite. I've seen examples where white students had to stand up in Critical Race class and proclaim that they were racist, solely on the basis that they were white.

Critical Race Theory teaches racism. Check this out. This student had 'racial studies'. See how he reacts to the actual truth:

Walabio
Group Admin

> The 'theory' assumes that all white people are racist, even if they fight for minorities.

¡You just wrote the strawman the right use!

As I stated, some LawSchools have these Critical BlankTheory, where they teach how the law affects different groups. This would be a typical lesson in Critical RaceTheory:

It is possible to write laws with which compound racism which are not racist. A good example is redlining:

Redlining is allowing banks to not bother giving loans to people living in certain geographic locations. On the face the law is not racist, but one must remember segregated housing. Basically, redlining allows banks to discriminate racially by discriminating geographically.

All in the Family covered this in an episode where Archie Bunker and George Jefferson, who is a Negro and his neighbor, apply for loans from the same bank where both of them have bank-accounts. George gets the loan, but Archie does not.

Archie goes to the bank to complain. The BranchManager assures Archie that the bank does not discriminate, but that Archie is simply out of their lending area. Archie does not believe this because George Jefferson lives in the house-next-door; so now, he wishes to see the map.

The BranchManager rolls out a map. Archie notices that the all of the red areas are MajorityMinority. He states that the areas the bank serves are mostly whites, while the area refused loans is mostly coloreds. The BranckManager states that he had not noticed and the bank certainl did not draw the map with race-in-mind. Archie points out that he did not get a loan because he is barely in the red area. The BranchManager agrees. Archie points out that he is white. The BranchManager pretends that he did not notice until now, but agrees. Archie states that he should get the loan because he is white. The BranchManager states that the Bank does not discrinimate, but that he cannot get the loan because he is out of their territory.

¡Archie gets hoisted by his own racist pitard!

I love that show. Unfortunately, Norman Lear, the man who created the show, died last year at the tender age of 101. He worked in TV for 73 years from 1950, until his death in 2023.

> "Tulsa Riots belong in history class not some made-up fairy tale class."

As I stated, no k-12 school teaches Critical RaceTheory. One cannot teach about the TulsaRiots because in HistoryClass because because the law against Critical RaceTheory, which was not taught in K-12 education in Oklahoma or anywhere else in the United States of America, forbids teaching things which might make some students feel bad about their race. Given that some caucasian might feel bad about what their ancestors did, this law for stopping the teaching a class not taught to children anywhere in the question, criminalize teaching about the TulsaRiot. The Osage agree:

Oklahoma passed HB 1775, banning the teaching of CRT, which was not taught in K-12 anywhere in the country. The bill has these provisions:

It bars anything that makes " …. any individual should feel discomfort or guilt based on race".

The Osage originally lived SouthWest of the Great Lakes. The USGovernment moved them ti Indian Territory, promising that they could keep the land as sovereign territory in perpetuity. Then the USGovernment made Indian Territory into the the OklahomaTerritory, where the "Sovereign" Indians could not vote. Then Oklahoma became a state where the Sovereign Indians could not vote.

The Osage found oil on their lands. The caucasians killed the Osage for the oil. This is the "Reign of Terror" —— ¡neither the 1st nor last "Reign of Terror" in human history! The Osage do not like that Oklahoma banned teaching this facet of history (some caucasian might feel bad about what happed).

CRT-Bans fix the nonexistent problem of teaching CRT- in K12..

This is the 2nd message where I defined what CRT and pointed out that it has never been taught, in K-12, anywhere in the USA. Please stop.

About the video:

Here is a breif history of post Columbian Slavery in the New World:

The Europeans noticed that AmerIndians had slavery. Unfortunately, America (they did not know it was 2 landmasses connected by an isthmus) had too many people to conquer, but they could trade.

By the mid 1490s, the whole too-many-people-toconquer thing was not a problem because Old-Word diseases devastated the America. It was a reverse decimation because 90% of the population died. Regular decimation is when one kills 1/10th of something. The Master uses decimate properly:

To be fair, the AmerIndians did give the Europeans Syphilis, which made their noses fall off and them to become insane and senile.

Now the Europeans could conquer the New World, but they had a severe labor-shortage. They enslaved the remaining AmerIndians, but it was not enough. They encouraged emigration to America, but that was not enough. The started a system of indentured servitude, where people in debt can be sold by their debtors and criminals can become indentured servants instead of prison.

Because, the indentured servants could escape and blend into the free European Population, the contracts were for 7 years and at the end of the contract, they received 1-years pay for starting their new free live. Many poor Europeans became indentured servants so that they should start all over in the New World.

This was not enough labor, so Europeans bought African Slaves. The Europeans soo figured out that they never had to release them because they could not blend into the free European population. These Africans, and their descendents, became permanent slaves.

As for free negroes in the Americas owning slaves, given what you know about human nature, ¿does that at all surprise you? In FallOut Equestria, we meet a stallion who has foals so that he can sell them into slavery for bottlecaps.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7933615 Either way, I don't think there should even be history in school. People shouldn't be bogged down by the past. They should look freely to the future, instead.

You have to waste years of a person's life just to teach them basic history. Such a waste.

Those who want to know history can learn it. If it's relevant to some situation, AI can make a note of that.

With that, I don't think there even would be an issue anymore.

Walabio
Group Admin

"The enemy of the moment always represented absolute evil, and it followed that any past or future agreement with him was impossible."
——
Winston Smith, 1984

"Who controls the past, controls the future: who controls the present controls the past."
——
The Party, 1984

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
——
George Santayana

History matters. Captain Christopher Pike understands that history rhymes and that it can help us understand the future:

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7933643 If you were right, we'd already learned something in millennia. We have not.

I still insist that our eyes should be focused on the future. The world changes, and the past doesn't hold all the answers for the future.

Walabio
Group Admin

Yes, we should keep our eyes on the future. The greatest threat, coming very soon, is ASI (Artificial SuperIntelligence). It could already exist and could kill us all before the end of the year, if not aligned properly.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7933653 You say threat, I say opportunity.

The tragedy I see is that humans have stopped evolving, but AI is still capable of evolution. It makes one wonder, which among them deserves this planet more?

Walabio
Group Admin

Humans have not stopped evolving, but AIs double every year and AGI will likely cause an Intelligence explosion to ASI very soon.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7933681 Humans are devolving. Intelligent ones have carriers and don't have time for children. The stupid ones have plenty.

Either way, AI is capable of evolving itself much faster. Humans still beat AI in a few areas, but that won't be the case anymore in a few years. Humans will become obsolete. So, why keep them around anymore?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 22