New Writers Advice Column 29 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3

Hey all,
So basically I've been writing my story: Minty Image: A Minty What If for a while, and I'm having trouble pulling in an editor. I think it might be due to the whopping chapter sizes on the story (Chapter 6 comes out at a monster 44,000 words, and optional chapter 2 comes out at almost 60,000 words -- yeah, I kind of didn't use my head before posting the chapters, and I let them get much too long... :applecry:)

And I'd like to get the chapter lengths down into something more reasonable (I'm thinking about taking a suggestion my cover artist did, and cut the chapter lengths into 5,000-6,000 word chapters.)

What's the best way to go about splitting the chapters in such a way as not to drive my audience crazy?

Also, I've heard max chapter lengths of 5000, 6000, 8000, 10000, and 30000, what's the recommended chapter length for a story, or does it depend on the story? And if it depends on the story, what kinds of things should I be using to determine the optimal chapter length for my story?
Thanks again,
MintGreenConspiracy.

P.S.: I should say that if there's already an article on it I can be linked to, I can look at that, a quick search of the site didn't turn anything up, but I may have been looking in the wrong places. Is there anywhere in particular I should be looking for information like this?

4599352 Chapters should be as long as they need to be, so there is no upper word limit. With that said, if you need more than 20 000 words to finish a chapter, you may be having trouble at keeping the story to the point.

Ask yourself what you want to achieve with a chapter and do that with the minimum words it takes you to do that. Don't add useless filler on top of it just because you happen to think of it.

OK, that makes sense, thanks for the advise, that was actually really useful.

So I'm guessing this would be easiest to do moving forward, but what would be your recommendation be if I want to tighten for what I've already written?

Also, I'm noticing that at least some of my sections are appropriate to the broader story arc, but inappropriate to the chapter that I placed them in. What would your recommendations be there?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3