Black Feather Development 23 members · 2 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4
Recon777
Group Admin

Paragraph indentations? Yes? No? Why? Why not?
Share your thoughts.

Keeping in mind, neither Past Sins nor Fallout Equestria use them.
Personally I find them ugly, especially in short paragraphs.

I prefer to use indentations so that I don't forget the habit when turning in papers to instructors that ask for proper formatting. As long as you can be consistent, whatever you do is fine. Though, I'd rather have indentations than have walls of text.

Recon777
Group Admin

I can see them being pretty important for stories that have long paragraphs. I try pretty hard to keep my paragraphs at 8 lines or less. Average length seems to actually be about 3 lines! Indenting each one seems a bit overkill and visually distracting.

Me, I always use indentations. It's for the reason that it makes finding the beginning of a paragraph easier to find, and the same reason Kkat used double spaces after full-stops; it makes the beginning of sentences easier to find.

Both instances aid the reader in picking up where they left off if they need to go to the bathroom or get a glass of water for example.

A paragraph shouldn't have any more than 9 lines, and usually 3 at the least is a good base outside of dialogue.

In one story, Diaries of a Madman, the author doesn't space out the paragraphs, he just indents where they begin. All of the above reasons are grammatically correct, it's about finding what works best for you, but indentations do come recommended. a lot of the time.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4