Bon Bon is Best Changeling 48 members · 19 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

Does anyone have any suggestions for good 'incidents' (mishaps, accidents, turmoil, etc) that could occur if Pinkie were to try working with Bon Bon? I had an idea a few days ago that might be interesting, starting with that concept, but I'm having trouble coming up with enough comic trouble for Pinkie to cause.

I think the problem with that is Pinkie is fairly competent in baking. There's always the getting lost in someone else's kitchen, mixing up the jars where she keeps the sugar and the salt, not knowing how the oven settings work; but I think Pinkie would adapt quickly. What kind of things were you trying for?

I think that's part of the problem; I'm not completely sure exactly what I'm looking for.

First, I'm not thinking merely 'Kitchen' - this is in Bon Bon's shop, which has been set up as a full confectionery. There's probably a good deal of specialized equipment in there, as well as various ingredients and general-purpose tools for candy-making.

Basically, I'm looking for places or possibilities where Pinkie's personality would cause potential problems or confusion; the only 'slapstick' kind of thing I'm after is the final straw moment, which I've already planned out. (A slightly nervous Pinkie accidentally upsets a shelf, causing a jar to fall off - and the jar is filled with ground pepper, used as an ingredient in certain liquorice candies. Ensue sneezing fit and damages therein.) I will agree that Pinkie is a good baker, but that's half the issue here, perhaps - how would the learned skills and abilities of a baker clash against those needed in a confectioner?

Confectioners are patient. They know when to turn down the heat so as to not scald the chocolate, they're ok with taking longer to measure out precise ingredients (when you're dealing with smaller quantities, small mistakes are more influential), they're fine with waiting and waiting and stirring and stirring as the sugar mixture cools so their fudge turns out just right (if the mixture doesn't get hot enough or it cools too fast, the sugar crystallizes into larger chunks and you don't want that; and you have to be watching it and take it off the heat as soon as it hits the right temperature).
Pinkie is probably a bit more impatient than a confectioner. When baking, she'll throw together a cup of flour, adding it to the mix, then taking something sweet (not sour) and just a pinch of salt (and I'm still not sure how ponies do that with hooves) and that's not entirely precise. I mean, she's not (entirely) reckless; but I can't see her being anal about following the recipe exactly and I see her as much more open to experimentation. My guess is she'd get distracted and leave things when they shouldn't be left; but still end up doing things right, and that more than anything would frustrate Bon Bon.

3659762 (and I'm still not sure how ponies do that with hooves)

Low level telekinetic field around the hooves.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5