Story Standards 268 members · 189 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7
Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

Equestria's Strife Online... okay, let me be clear here, I am not overtly familiar with Sword Art Online. I am with its basic plot, but not with the game of that anime, if it makes any sense.

Genre is simply Adventure, Crossover, and Human. Alright, I'm down.

Wordcount is 69,768 words long split into eleven chapters… and last updated two years ago. I think you guys are starting to see a little trend here. I've only read through chapter one, for several reasons which will be covered very shortly, as well as because of my lack of SAO-familiarity.

Grammar: 8/10, admittedly near-flawless, but is uses "<< >>" whenever… attacks are called out. That, and a lot of the dialogue was a bit stilted, but still rather genuine. While the "<< >>" is jarring, it is justified due to the source material, and used minimally at that. It doesn't detract much else aside from that.

Characterization: For Twilight and Rainbow Dash, they're rather spot-on, although they have been a little altered from their canon selves, and noticeably at that. 8/10

Use of show canon: Cider, Ponyville, the castle in the Everfree, Celestia, and Nightmare Moon are either mentioned or barely utilized, save the first one. 3.5/10

Plot consistency: Barely kicked off. I wasn't able to tell what it was until the end of the first chapter. 3/10

Use of OCs: Animus gets a little less screentime than Twilight, but only because he appears relatively late in the chapter. That being said, he's snarky and Twilight doesn't trust him all that much. 3.5/10

Coherence: 5/10; it was difficult to understand, at first. Not helped by attacks-shouting and HP/MP bars being displayed. Yes. But I'll cover that in the next category…

Extra things depending on genre: Human scores a solid 10/10; present and accounted for from the word 'go,' and in multiples too. Adventure, however, was far less prominent; it largely consisted of Twilight making an escape attempt. 4/10 Crossover? It spewed HP/MP bars at me, complete with numbers, and attacks being called out… which I will excuse this time, given the source crossover material, and that the author actually tried to make it work. Other than that, though, and modified armor which can make blades, I got little else on this front. 5/10.

And now, my verdict. Equestria Strife nets 50/90, or 55%. It sits between "meh" and "bad," but that's only because I am not familiar with SAO. That said, I may get the game and I MAY re-review this one in the future, but for now that's backburner. Oh, and Crystalis… update or put on hiatus please. Just sayin'.

ActionPony
Group Admin

So, time to open the submissions box?

Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

Only three fics left in Pending, so almost time. Pick a card, any card. Just not Apples, because a dude has already claimed it.

Winter Storm
Group Contributor

SAO is pretty bad, so good luck writing a good story with it.

ActionPony
Group Admin

Grammar: 8/10, admittedly near-flawless, but is uses "<< >>" whenever… attacks are called out. That, and a lot of the dialogue was a bit stilted, but still rather genuine.

The <<>> can actually be explained- that's how the original Sword Art Online light novel marked the use of Skills, which were moves programmed into the game for players who didn't actually know how to fight.

Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

AH, alright. Thank you for the info. I'll update the review shortly.

Dragonborne Fox
Group Admin

6098711 You should've seen my obscure early works. :rainbowlaugh:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7